How to read birthdays from a contact list with Google Contacts API v3?

s.strizhkov

Apr 4, 2012, 9:59:48 AM4/4/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm trying to write a Google AppEngine java program that read birthdays from user's contact list. Using google-api-java-client library (http://code.google.com/p/google-api-java-client). And requests to https://www.google.com/m8/feeds/* return names of contacts, addresses, but not birthdays. Is it possible to read contacts' birthdays in any way in java?

Thanks in advance!

David Hardwick

Apr 7, 2012, 8:03:22 AM4/7/12
to Google Contacts, Shared Contacts and User Profiles APIs
Something is up with the documentation. If you look at the Contact
kind here...

http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/docs/2.0/elements.html#gdContactKind

...you will not see birthday, but it is on the gdata record...

http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/javadoc/com/google/gdata/data/contacts/Birthday.html

Hope that helps
-Hardwick

On Apr 4, 9:59 am, "s.strizhkov" <s.strizh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to write a Google AppEngine java program that read birthdays
> from user's contact list. Using google-api-java-client library
> (http://code.google.com/p/google-api-java-client). And requests tohttps://www.google.com/m8/feeds/*return names of contacts, addresses, but

cleros

Apr 8, 2012, 9:23:16 PM4/8/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David!

Cleros
www.successbook.info

Gavin Johnson

Apr 9, 2012, 6:42:05 AM4/9/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
Birthday field was introduced as part of Gdata version 3.0. I think
this is what's up with the version 2.0 docs you've linked to :-)

I've found that you need to explicitly ask for version 3.0 in order to
get at fields like Birthday.
https://developers.google.com/google-apps/profiles/#Versioning

But the documentation is a bit of a mess at the moment. They seem to
be moving stuff from code.google.com to developers.google.com and
leaving broken links for us to find ..

> --

ga...@fnarg.net will expire please update your records

s.strizhkov

Apr 10, 2012, 7:33:06 AM4/10/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com

Many thanks, Gavin,

I previously sent request to the https://www.google.com/m8/feeds/contacts/default/full/{contactId}, and the response has been poorer than a response from https://www.google.com/m8/feeds/contacts/default/full/{contactId}?v=3.0. In the last case, <gContact:birthday when='YYYY-MM-DD'/> is present.

David Hardwick

Apr 17, 2012, 2:47:30 PM4/17/12
to Google Contacts, Shared Contacts and User Profiles APIs
Yes, that link the v 2 doc was from the Version 3.0 API pages.