Gcloud preview download alternative?

pa...@adgentv.com

Nov 12, 2015, 6:48:52 AM11/12/15
to google-cloud-sdk
With Gcloud preview app modules download being deprecated, what alternative is there for download the source files for a particular module version?

Zachary Newman

Nov 12, 2015, 12:20:05 PM11/12/15
to pa...@adgentv.com, google-cloud-sdk

Hi Paul,

We’re removing the app modules download command because we have no way to support it in Managed VM App Engine applications, and we don’t want to ship a command that doesn’t work for a whole class of apps. We do hope to bring it back once the core platform is stable and we can focus on adding features, but have no estimated date at this time.

For now, you can continue to use appcfg.py to download source for older App Engine apps. appcfg.py remains the recommended and stable solution for these applications; nothing supported there will be going away.

Cheers,
Zack

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 6:48 AM, <pa...@adgentv.com> wrote:
With Gcloud preview app modules download being deprecated, what alternative is there for download the source files for a particular module version?

pa...@adgentv.com

Nov 12, 2015, 12:25:50 PM11/12/15
to google-cloud-sdk, pa...@adgentv.com
The problem there is that appcfg.py cannot download specific versions of a module. I know this to be true after extensive emails with a Google employee.

We ended up concluding that the gcloud method was the only way.

So, are you going to update appcfg.py to enable version specific downloads?

Zachary Newman

Nov 12, 2015, 5:24:37 PM11/12/15
to pa...@adgentv.com, google-cloud-sdk, Dan Lorenc, Justin Beckwith
+CC {dlorenc,beckwith}

Dan Lorenc

Nov 12, 2015, 6:25:49 PM11/12/15
to Zachary Newman, pa...@adgentv.com, google-cloud-sdk, Justin Beckwith
Hey Paul,

Could you explain the issue with using appcfg to download the code for a specific version? What command are you using to try this?

gcloud and appcfg share a lot of code for this command, so I'm pretty sure it should work.

Dan Lorenc

Paul Canning

Nov 13, 2015, 2:55:07 AM11/13/15
to Dan Lorenc, Justin Beckwith, Zachary Newman, google-cloud-sdk

Speak with Ryan Bruyere, he can confirm this as we had an extensive email convo.

Appcfg method only works for the default module. Gcloud method let's you target a specific module as well as version.

What's funny is you are removing the gcloud method and saying to use appcfg, yet that itself is being phased out.

Can you maybe rethink this decision (please, seriously consider it) as it seems quite detrimental.

Justin Beckwith

Nov 13, 2015, 11:33:10 AM11/13/15
to Paul Canning, Dan Lorenc, Zachary Newman, google-cloud-sdk
Greetings Paul,
Out of curiosity - how are you using download today? Is it part of your normal development workflow?

Thanks!
--

Justin Beckwith | Google Cloud Platform | @justinbeckwith | http://jbeckwith.com

Paul Canning

Nov 13, 2015, 11:48:23 AM11/13/15
to Justin Beckwith, Dan Lorenc, Zachary Newman, google-cloud-sdk
I use it to download specific version of non-default modules, typically when I've cocked something up and I need the original codebase.

Sure, I could take better care of my code management, but removing it entirely from gcloud, when the appcfg method does not do the EXACT same thing, seems a bit, daft.