API is failing to parse GPS coordinates as address?

John

May 21, 2018, 11:49:37 AM5/21/18
to Google Civic Information API
Hello, I have been using the API to return elected officials based on an input of gps coordinates such as 37.785834,-122.406417. I noticed in the past few days that this stopped working for me. Has there been an update to the API that perhaps I missed? Any insight is appreciated, thank you.

Here is the error that I get:

{
  • error
    {
    • errors
      [
      • {
        • domain"global",
        • reason"parseError",
        • message"Failed to parse address",
        }
      ],
    • code400,
    • message"Failed to parse address",
    }
}

Cong Chen

May 21, 2018, 3:49:15 PM5/21/18
to Google Civic Information API
Hi John,

Thanks for reaching out! This is on our radar - we are looking for a fix and will keep you posted!

Best,
Cong

John

May 21, 2018, 8:43:07 PM5/21/18
to Google Civic Information API
Great, thanks for the quick response.

John

May 25, 2018, 9:27:27 AM5/25/18
to Google Civic Information API
Hey Cong, any update on this? It has rendered our application unusable and there are users who are angry at me :(

Nick O'Neill

May 26, 2018, 11:57:06 AM5/26/18
to Google Civic Information API
Also interested in the resolution here. I appreciate the free-ness of this service, but would happily pay if it meant faster turn arounds on big issues like this one.

Chetan Sabnis

May 26, 2018, 10:14:41 PM5/26/18
to Google Civic Information API
Hi all,

We apologize for the disruption to your services.  We are testing a fix to resume the ability to specify lat/lng coordinates as address inputs.  If that is successful we will deploy a fix in the next 48 hours. Thanks for your patience with this outage.

Chetan Sabnis

May 27, 2018, 10:20:19 PM5/27/18
to Google Civic Information API
Hi all,

Lat/lng coordinates should now work as inputs again.  Please let us know if you experience any problems with the service.

Chris Moschini

Nov 20, 2018, 8:34:56 AM11/20/18
to Google Civic Information API
This was broken again. Specifically, it was broken from about October 10th to about November 12th, 2018, which encompassed all of the dates when one could vote in Florida, meaning it took the service I built on this down during the exact dates it would have been useful.

Three things:

1) Why does this API keep losing support for lat/lng?

2) Is this API intended to support lat/lng? Some questions about this get answers like this one, saying sorry and it will be restored soon. Others say that it doesn't and will never, because that would not be an address and so, is invalid.

3) Can the documentation be updated to reflect a hard decision on yes or no? Ideally the answer is yes, but:

If yes, please modify the documentation to explicitly support lat/lng, and show how to do so.

If no, please modify the documentation to explicitly not support lat/lng, and show how one would, starting with lat/lng, get to an address you'd consider to have coped with the objections that you had that caused you to remove support for lat/lng.

Cong Chen

Nov 29, 2018, 5:49:29 PM11/29/18
to google-civ...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chris for reaching out.

Looking at the history of this thread, it seems that earlier, lat/Long was reported not working for the represrepresentativeInfoByAddress service. I retested the lat/long with issues and was not able to reproduce the error (URL for my test).

Can you confirm if the issues you had was specific to the voterInfoQuery? I used the same lat/long (against the test election) and can not reproduce the issue there. Please see this URL I used for test and kindly provide a few lat/long you have tried that were not working.

Thanks,
Cong