"Sensitive information" risk in DevTools workspace

Justin Woolley

Jan 19, 2018, 4:39:34 PM1/19/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
When adding a folder to the devtools workspace, the dialog banner for granting access warns you to "make sure you do not expose any sensitive information".

What is the specific risk when adding files to the workspace? Exposure to extensions with access to devtools? Script injection?

Ismael Venegas Castelló

Feb 23, 2018, 10:47:42 AM2/23/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Hi I just saw your SO question:

Kayce Basques

Mar 1, 2018, 12:52:56 PM3/1/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
Response from DevTools engineer:

We use the same api as a regular website/chrome app, so it’s not something specific to devtools. I guess in theory if you map you workspace maps to a malicious site and then you live edit your site with devtools open the site might be able to detect your edits? That’s pretty convoluted though.
We assume that information in the workspace is data for your project. I wouldn’t add /etc/passwd to a devtools workspace.

Eric Lawrence

Mar 1, 2018, 2:04:04 PM3/1/18
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
I think the bigger issue here is that the Developer Tools normally run in a sandboxed process (similar to a Chrome renderer) that doesn't have access to your local system. If a malicious site achieved arbitrary code execution in the Developer Tools, it could (if there were no prompt) map local folders and steal files from them. By requiring a prompt in the browser process (higher privilege) this threat is blunted.