How do I disable Cmd-# keyboard shortcuts?

wpar...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2013, 11:59:58 AM1/18/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
I constantly rely on Cmd-# keyboard shortcuts to switch between specific browser tabs in Chrome while developing. With the recent addition of these same shortcuts to switch to specific tabs within Developer Tools, my workflow is now regularly interrupted by unexpected behavior:

I hit Cmd-3 (for instance), expecting to switch to the 3rd browser tab, but instead I get the Network panel in Dev Tools.

It's akin to being periodically smacked on the back of my head while trying to work.

How do I disable this undesirable behavior?

Thanks.

sander...@holder.nl

Jan 24, 2013, 6:21:00 AM1/24/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, wpar...@gmail.com
Any luck in finding a solution?

Sam Dutton

Jan 24, 2013, 7:10:40 AM1/24/13
to sander...@holder.nl, google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, wpar...@gmail.com
Do you mean you want to be able to disable Dev Tools shortcuts?

(Stating the obvious, Dev Tools shortcuts like Cmd-3 only work when the Dev Tools are open.)

Sam

sander...@holder.nl

Jan 24, 2013, 7:31:17 AM1/24/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, sander...@holder.nl, wpar...@gmail.com
Yes, and I know.

But I also use cmd-1 to 9 to switch between tabs. If for example in tab 3 Developer Tools is open and I switch from tab 1 -> tab 2 -> tab 3. Ik get stuck at tab-3 because from there it focuses on the developer tools (no on the tabs).
Another example:
 I use the developer tools to write some javascript in the console, if i need a reference from another website which is open on the fifth tab i can't navigate to it using cmd-5. I need to unfocus the developer tools and then I can cmd-5.

wpar...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2013, 9:43:40 AM1/24/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, sander...@holder.nl, wpar...@gmail.com
I'm fine with most of the Dev Tools shortcuts, except those which override browser shortcuts. Especially (in my case) the Cmd-# shortcuts for switching directly to a certain browser tab.

And I get why you stated the obvious. It's important to make sure we're talking about the same thing here.

Thanks.

rich.tin...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2013, 7:31:44 AM1/25/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, wpar...@gmail.com
Any solution to this?

Annoying the hell out of me

daniel....@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2013, 12:16:53 PM2/4/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, wpar...@gmail.com
Uh, this functionality is ludicrous. Let me explain :

  Tabbing browser windows is as crucial to the process of web development as your steering wheel is on your car.

  If you press play on your ipod, GRANTED you are focusing on music, but your steering wheel should still continue to drive the car.

It was a weak decision by Chrome developers. And at the very least be able to be toggled.

:D

On Friday, January 25, 2013 8:42:21 PM UTC-5, jaredwilli wrote:
From what I can tell this is working as it should. When the browser window has focus the shortcut keys do work to jump to different tabs when I do cmd/ctrl + 1-9. This functionality is consistent when working with the Devtools focused.

Think of Devtools as a separate browser window. Have you tried undocking Devtools from the browser window, so it's in a separate window altogether?
When docked, it functions in the same way as if it were a separate window. It is itself a webapp after all.

It seems to be working fine for me, as long as the focus is on what I am trying to do the shortcut key in, either the browser window or webpage I'm viewing or the devtools for a page.

Jared

rahil...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2013, 4:12:32 PM2/5/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, wpar...@gmail.com
Agree, I also reply on CMD+(0-9) to switch between browser tabs and I don't want Chrome Dev Tools to ever interfere with that.

Sam Dutton

Feb 6, 2013, 5:53:10 AM2/6/13
to rahil...@gmail.com, wpar...@gmail.com, sander...@holder.nl, rich.tin...@gmail.com, daniel....@gmail.com, google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com
I've filed a bug: crbug.com/174606

Star it, if you think this functionality should be changed.

Sam

On 5 February 2013 21:12, <rahil...@gmail.com> wrote:
Agree, I also reply on CMD+(0-9) to switch between browser tabs and I don't want Chrome Dev Tools to ever interfere with that.

owen...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2013, 3:04:09 PM3/12/13
to google-chrome-...@googlegroups.com, rahil...@gmail.com, wpar...@gmail.com, sander...@holder.nl, rich.tin...@gmail.com, daniel....@gmail.com
I added a comment to the bug, but also wanted to post it here to try to gain more attention and hopefully revert this update:

I've tried my best to get used to this and not to simply complain about workflow changes. However, this change is fundamentally flawed. One of the google groups comments sums it up very well:

"Tabbing browser windows is as crucial to the process of web development as your steering wheel is on your car.

If you press play on your ipod, GRANTED you are focusing on music, but your steering wheel should still continue to drive the car."

Broken Use Case : 1) Debug a page issue 2) Command-2 to switch to a reference [BROKEN]

Broken Use Case: 1) Command-# between windows 2) End up on a page with dev window open and focused 3) Command-# now "trapped" by Dev window which breaks the tab switching [BROKEN]

Broken Use Case: 1) Using keyboard shortcuts to switch between IDE/Editor and Chrome 2) Try to switch to another window using command-# and can't. 3) No keyboard shortcut to switch focus from dev tools to main window. 4) I am now forced to use my mouse, to focus on the main window, which greatly slows me down [BROKEN]

I've been trying to get used to this change for a couple weeks now. It is noticeably slowing down my development, and I'm sure others.

At the end of the day the Dev Window is not a first class citizen, but a servant to that particular browser window. Do not treat it as a full blown window for the sake of consistency, as you are breaking fundamental workflows in the process

p. stephen w

Oct 29, 2017, 5:21:43 PM10/29/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
#Me too!
Any updates on this?
The keybindings are getting in my way. I'd prefer to re-map them but disabling them would work too.

PhistucK

Oct 29, 2017, 5:25:03 PM10/29/17
to Google Chrome Developer Tools
If you press F1 (or go to the settings of the Developer Tools otherwise), at least on Windows, there is a label -
"Enable Ctrl + 1-9 shortcut to switch panels"
Perhaps on macOS it is "Enable Cmd + 1-9 shortcut to switch panels".
Untick its checkbox. Does that help?

PhistucK