New Prices + Really Small Apps - what will happen??

Joe

Sep 2, 2011, 7:37:01 AM9/2/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
After seeing all the uproar regarding the new pricing model, I'm wondering how it will affect small applications.

I currently have a few small applications with billing enabled. I had to enable billing so that i could use one of the API's (Cant remember which)
My apps are so small, that currently they dont use any more than the free allowance.

Question1 - Under the new pricing model, will these apps now incur a $9 monthly fee because billing is "enabled"?

In the new pricing model, there doenst seem to be any API restriction between FREE and PAID apps.

Question2 - So can i simply disable billing and the app will continue to run with no API restrictions on the free allowance?

Cant find any clear info on this, so as a precaution im just disabling billing on all of my apps.. (they are not mission critical - just play things anyway!)

Gopal Patel

Sep 2, 2011, 7:40:49 AM9/2/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
+1 exact my question....for blobstore api you need biliing ....

I have set max instance to 1 and latency to 15s. thats almost ensure free quota.

Bay

Sep 2, 2011, 8:34:01 AM9/2/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
"I have set max instance to 1 and latency to 15s. thats almost ensure free quota"

-- it does not. Wait and see. The scheduler ignores the latter setting and spawns new instances (that you will have to pay for) anyway.

Joshua Smith

Sep 2, 2011, 8:35:31 AM9/2/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
This is a nice restatement of the exact same questions I asked in my snarky "Really Terribly Designed Pricing Page" thread.

I hope our google overlords will answer your nice questions, since they seem to be completely ignoring my nasty ones. :)

PLEASE: Nobody derail this thread with the that FAQ which DOES NOT answer either of these questions!

Francois Masurel

Sep 2, 2011, 8:55:38 AM9/2/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Joshua Smith

Sep 2, 2011, 9:08:02 AM9/2/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Only partly (since he mentions blobstore, but not email, etc.).

Here's are some simple yes/no questions:

- Will free apps and $9/mo apps have access to all the same APIs?

- Do free apps and $9/mo apps have the same free quotas?

- Are the quotas on http://www.google.com/enterprise/cloud/appengine/pricing.html the ONLY measured quotas?

- If not, where can we see a list of the OTHER quotas?

(For example: pricing.html says 100 channels per day, but doesn't mention API calls per day.  So are API calls unlimited under the new pricing?)

Joshua Smith

Sep 2, 2011, 5:16:35 PM9/2/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I've created an issue for this.  If you have an app that tries to live under the Free caps, please star this...

Gregory D'alesandre

Sep 2, 2011, 10:39:55 PM9/2/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hey Joshua!  I wasn't trying to avoid your snark, just happened to get to this post first.  :)  Answers below!

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 6:08 AM, Joshua Smith <Joshua...@charter.net> wrote:
Only partly (since he mentions blobstore, but not email, etc.).

Here's are some simple yes/no questions:

- Will free apps and $9/mo apps have access to all the same APIs?
As it stands now, they do, our goal for free apps is that they allow you to try out all parts of the system so we'll likely continue to do this.

- Do free apps and $9/mo apps have the same free quotas?
For the most part yes.  The exception is Task Queue and URLFetch difference that exist today will continue to exist: http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html#Task_Queue

- Are the quotas on http://www.google.com/enterprise/cloud/appengine/pricing.html the ONLY measured quotas?
Those are the quotas that you can change by paying for more.

- If not, where can we see a list of the OTHER quotas?
We are putting that list together, but it will look similar to the list today (as most of those quotas are basically designed to prevent abuse).

I hope that helps!

Greg