Some Best Practices for Apps For Domains with GAE [Was Apps For Domains is a MAJOR failing of AppEngine]

Brandon Wirtz

Sep 20, 2011, 7:25:28 PM9/20/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

This started as a Response to Vlad, and then I decided to make it more of a 10 things to know about Apps For Domains, and I ended up with 11.

I’m not a Googler, but I can guess, that on average Apps For Domains makes more money for Goog, than GAE does.  If Google can get you to sign up for email on 20 users, that adds up to a lot of money, and the tracking cookies on those users on adsense pages adds up to even more.  More data is more money.

Apps For Domains wasn’t horrible until recently, the interface keeps getting more GoDaddy like. Which may be Familiar to those of use with lots of domains, but is a very bad thing.  I also don’t think Apps For Domains likes GAE users.  You can almost hear the Tech support people in that group moan when they hear you have an issue with GAE. (at one point my subdomains all disappeared and wouldn’t let me redeploy them because they were in use and Apps for Domains told me it was a Code Problem)

If you are setting up Apps for domain, I have over the last month or so decided that you should follow some simple rules…

1.       Don’t set the admin account to a user account you use for anything else.  This makes the email notifications harder to see, but will save you unified login headaches over, and over.

2.       Pony up the $10 for a paid account. This sucks, especially for test domains, but you don’t get support otherwise. Sometimes you don’t get support even if you paid, but being able to at least call someone will make your life less of a Pain when something goes wrong.

3.       Validate your domain using the DNS TXT entry not the HTML upload. If your HTML file becomes unreachable you may suddenly be unable to connect.

4.       While you can have multiple domains with one account, as the primary if you ever sell that domain you can’t un-associate it, which is a PITA (More for the buyer than the seller) so don’t do this.

5.       Don’t enable “Multiple Logins” on your Google Logins for any of your Apps For Domains admin accounts.  While this seems to be well tested for GMAIL and Adsense, sometimes sessions get messed up and you will find that you are making changes to the wrong account.

6.       Use Incognito Windows when administrating your Apps For Domains Accounts. Similar to above sessions don’t seem to work write in Apps For domain.

7.       Don’t Administer accounts in IE9 or FireFox. Google seems to test only against Chrome, and some of the Dynamic elements on the page don’t always line up in IE9 and FireFox.

8.       Don’t even login to Apps For Domains via a Mobile Device or Android Tablet.  It seems the Pre-Caching on these is a little over-zealous and will often select all the options on some pages. (Awesome Sauce let me tell you)

9.       Don’t use Root, Or Admin for the administrative Email User Name

10.   Don’t Use the same Password across all your Apps For domains accounts.

11.   Login to your account altleast once a month, the TOS and deployed apps change and sometimes if you miss a change things will just happen without your knowledge.

Brandon Wirtz
BlackWaterOps: President / Lead Mercenary

Work: 510-992-6548
Toll Free: 866-400-4536

IM: dra...@gmail.com (Google Talk)
Skype: drakegreene

BlackWater Ops

image001.jpg

JH

Sep 20, 2011, 10:20:33 PM9/20/11
to Google App Engine
For a while now I have been UNABLE to DELETE a google app engine app
from my google apps domain. I had multiple old M/S apps that google
apps will never seem to let me delete...

On Sep 20, 6:25 pm, "Brandon Wirtz" <drak...@digerat.com> wrote:
> This started as a Response to Vlad, and then I decided to make it more of a
> 10 things to know about Apps For Domains, and I ended up with 11.
>
> I'm not a Googler, but I can guess, that on average Apps For Domains makes
> more money for Goog, than GAE does.  If Google can get you to sign up for
> email on 20 users, that adds up to a lot of money, and the tracking cookies
> on those users on adsense pages adds up to even more.  More data is more
> money.
>
> Apps For Domains wasn't horrible until recently, the interface keeps getting
> more GoDaddy like. Which may be Familiar to those of use with lots of
> domains, but is a very bad thing.  I also don't think Apps For Domains likes
> GAE users.  You can almost hear the Tech support people in that group moan
> when they hear you have an issue with GAE. (at one point my subdomains all
> disappeared and wouldn't let me redeploy them because they were in use and
> Apps for Domains told me it was a Code Problem)
>
> If you are setting up Apps for domain, I have over the last month or so
> decided that you should follow some simple rules.
> IM: drak...@gmail.com (Google Talk)
> Skype: drakegreene
>
>  <http://www.blackwaterops.com/> BlackWater Ops
>
>  image001.jpg
> < 1KViewDownload

Sameer Lodha

Sep 21, 2011, 1:28:33 AM9/21/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Brandon,

Thanks for taking out time to share your experience & knowledge. This would save us quite a lot of time & effort.

Sam

image001.jpg

Simon Knott

Sep 21, 2011, 4:59:55 AM9/21/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brandon, very informative.

Alexander Konovalenko

Oct 3, 2011, 11:16:30 PM10/3/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com, Brandon Wirtz
On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 05:25, Brandon Wirtz <dra...@digerat.com> wrote:
> 9. Don’t use Root, Or Admin for the administrative Email User Name

Why?

Brandon Wirtz

Oct 3, 2011, 11:23:42 PM10/3/11
to Alexander Konovalenko, google-a...@googlegroups.com
For the same reason you don't use Root or Admin for your Root and Admin accounts on any other server. If a hacker already knows the Username they don't have to guess nearly as many things.

Alexander Konovalenko

Oct 4, 2011, 12:03:12 AM10/4/11
to Brandon Wirtz, google-a...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 09:23, Brandon Wirtz <dra...@digerat.com> wrote:
> For the same reason you don't use Root or Admin for your Root and Admin
> accounts on any other server.  If a hacker already knows the Username they
> don't have to guess nearly as many things.

Ah, security through obscurity. Yes, sometimes it can help.