new pricing actually not so bad...

JH

Sep 15, 2011, 4:53:23 PM9/15/11
to Google App Engine
When first seeing the new pricing I was very upset. From watching
this group I wasn't the only one. However, at the risk of angering
some I'd like to report my findings.

When first seeing the new pricing my first idea was to change
providers. Not only to save some money, but also in fear of the fact
that GAE may very well be over in 3 years with so many others leaving
due to the new pricing.

So my first stop was AWS. With so much buzz surrounding aws plus so
many companies using it they must be a great product. However you
have to be careful to look under the covers.

GAE is a PaaS. That's why I love GAE. Everything is taken care of
for you. However some of the tasks are not that hard so for now we
won't factor that into the price.

AWS has micro instances available for a pretty cheap price. But,
that's not all you need. You need a datastore. So you either run it
on your micro instance, using a good chunk of resources or you pay for
RDS/SimpleDB. So if we choose simpleDB (GAE made everyone fall in
love with NoSQL) you now have 2 products to pay for. What about
memcache? Well AWS just introduced Elasticache. Another bill, and
not a cheap one I might add. What about map reduce? That will be an
additional fee. And I'm not going to get into scaling as I really
don't personally need it. But for a fee AWS has elastic load
balancers...

So let's stick with PaaS. Heroku sounds good. They are suppose to be
getting python soon! 1 web dyno + 1 worker dyno + 20 gig of shared
database storage = $50/month. Wowsers! What about cron? That will
be $3/month. Memcache can run $20-$3500 / month! These guys charge
you for everything! So many of these things are included with GAE.

What about dotcloud? Well their first paid tier starts at $99/month.

So I'm not out to anger the community. I realize everyone's app is
different and some people's bills have gone up 100x, etc. I just
wanted to point out that finding a better deal may not be so easy. I
really hope that people stay on GAE as I hope it can continue to run
for many more years.

Oh yeah, not to mention what a cool platform this is to develop on.
Task queues, cron, deployments, memcache, logging (I forgot to mention
that Heroku charges for logging). And it's all managed for you. No
need to wake up at 2am because your server is down. Or your mysql
table is corrupt... I'm just saying.

Strom

Sep 15, 2011, 6:46:48 PM9/15/11
to Google App Engine
I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Timofey Koolin

Sep 15, 2011, 7:18:34 PM9/15/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
It is simple and very cheap platform for starup. When project will grow - it can be optimised or migrate - GAE have very simple API and it can emulate very simple on VDS, amazon or shared hosting.

2011/9/16 Strom <xxs...@gmail.com>

С уважением,
Кулин Тимофей.

Телефон: +7 (4852) 974793
ICQ: 114902104
email: tim...@koolin.ru
Blog: http://timofey.koolin.ru

Chapman Howser

Sep 15, 2011, 10:21:43 PM9/15/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
You're not the first to make these points.

Unfortunately I don't think they are widely understood.

And for that reason GAE may be fatally wounded from the recent poorly informed outrage.

Rachel Gollub

Sep 16, 2011, 2:36:27 PM9/16/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I have to say, I went through the same thing.  I originally saw my costs go up about 8x with the new pricing, so I posted that I was going to look into other options.  I did, and they seemed comparable, but transferring the database was going to be a cost problem.  Then we got the news that the instance pricing reporting was broken, and the free quotas went up.  I experimented with instances and the new quotas, and found that with these changes (and correct usage reporting), with the new pricing my costs will stay flat.

I do totally love Google App Engine, and I was seriously bummed about moving -- I'm glad I'll be able to stay, and relieved that the initial scare proved to be exaggerated.  We're heading into launch soon, and we'll see how the numbers change, but I'm much less worried about it than I was.  I just started a project for a low-traffic site for a corporation, and recommended GAE/HR with no real worries.

The only thing I'd ask for is better M/S datastore support. :)  It meets our needs really well, other than the outages....

-- Rachel

Tapir

Sep 16, 2011, 2:42:58 PM9/16/11
to Google App Engine
The new 28 hours free computing is absolutely a right decision.
But I think the overall prices are still too high.