I love App Engine

John Wheeler

Dec 24, 2011, 5:28:29 PM12/24/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I have three apps running on App Engine, and I must say, the power and the programming model--all the parallel computing, task queues, and async datastore fetches--it's been one of the funnest programming and learning experiences of my career.

It is a very different computing model than I'm used to, and I'm curious to see if and what it will evolve into and if people will get locked-out over time. Consider Java--if you just got into non-cloud Java now, you'd have to learn about all the IoC containers, ORMs, annotations, and the forces behind all of them. I am lucky I got into Java in the beginning, so I could grow with all that stuff. Back then, Microsoft's COM+ was the fuzzy haze I was technically locked-out of.

Again, I'm glad to get in early on cloud computing and Google's flavor of it.

John Wheeler

Dec 24, 2011, 5:30:58 PM12/24/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and I forgot to say, Thanks!!

Ian Marshall

Dec 27, 2011, 10:24:59 AM12/27/11
to Google App Engine
I must agree. What an excellent platform GAE/J is. Automatic
scalability, Java, Apache Wicket (I know: nothing to do with Google,
but it works with GAE/J), .... What fun this coding is!

A big thank you from me too to all at Google who work on GAE. You
deserve a good Christmas and New Year break.

Mauricio Aristizabal

Dec 28, 2011, 8:49:30 PM12/28/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely!

My only one concern has always been lock-in.  But I've recently learned of AppScale http://appscale.cs.ucsb.edu/ so it seems if Google ever drops the ball or starts milking us too hard, we'll have an easy migration path.

With that, I now would recommend GAE 100%

James Gilliam

Dec 29, 2011, 2:09:18 PM12/29/11
to Google App Engine
The cost is the biggest negative. The way reads and writes are
counted. 20 to 30 writes for entities with modest indexing. Fields
cannot be searched without being indexed and compound indexes are
frequently needed just to return results in ordered. Deletes are
likewise expensive. Why they have to charge this way with instance
charging, database storage usage, and bandwidth usage is ridiculous.
Keeping costs low enough to continue with gae is a gigantic effort.