Re: Breakpoints broken in new dev_appserver (1.7.6)?

Renzo Nuccitelli

Mar 22, 2013, 10:20:19 AM3/22/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
 This is related with the local server improvements. So keep the 1.7.5 with you want to debug your program until they fix it.

 Renzo

On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:21:47 AM UTC-3, Dylan Sale wrote:
Hi,

I have updated to 1.7.6 and noticed the new dev_appserver. Nice! I did notice that PyDev (Eclipse plugin) breakpoints no longer work when using it. Does anyone know how to get breakpoints working again (with or without pydev). I guess this could be a question for the PyDev people, but I thought I would ask it here in case someone had encountered a similar problem. I assume it is due to the new server spawning new processes or something.

For now I am using old_dev_appserver.py but I assume this will be deprecated at some point.

Thanks

Moises Belchin

Brian Quinlan

Mar 24, 2013, 8:34:39 PM3/24/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Renzo,

On 23 March 2013 01:20, Renzo Nuccitelli <ren...@gmail.com> wrote:
 This is related with the local server improvements. So keep the 1.7.5 with you want to debug your program until they fix it.

1. You don't need to keep 1.7.5 - the old new dev_appserver is available in 1.7.6 with the name old_dev_appserver.py
2. The multi-process now used by dev_appserver.py means that debuggers will have to work differently to inter-operate with it. This document explains how that will work in 1.7.7: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CCSaRiIWCLgbD3OwmuKsRoHHDfBffbROWyVWWL0ZXN4/edit#heading=h.fj44xnkhr0gr

A preview of those debugging features can be found here:

Cheers,
Brian

 Renzo

On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:21:47 AM UTC-3, Dylan Sale wrote:
Hi,

I have updated to 1.7.6 and noticed the new dev_appserver. Nice! I did notice that PyDev (Eclipse plugin) breakpoints no longer work when using it. Does anyone know how to get breakpoints working again (with or without pydev). I guess this could be a question for the PyDev people, but I thought I would ask it here in case someone had encountered a similar problem. I assume it is due to the new server spawning new processes or something.

For now I am using old_dev_appserver.py but I assume this will be deprecated at some point.

Thanks

timh

Mar 25, 2013, 2:33:47 AM3/25/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Just for everyones info I have remote debugging in boa-constructor sort of working, I can set break points, I can see the code, breakpoints in the boa editor and step through the code.  It's a little flakey (ie doesn't work all the time) and I had to patch the RemoteClient.py code inboa contructor as it wasn't calling a super classes init method when setting up transport.

It just needs a prerun python script as per Brians links above

import sys
sys.path.append("/usr/share/boa-constructor/")

from Debugger.RemoteServer import start
start("username","password")

And then add the following to the app.py somewhere at the beginning

if hasattr(sys,'debugger_control'):
   sys.debugger_control.set_traceable()

All as per the Boa docs for remote debugging.

Below is a screen shot.