The Schedule Format of cron.xml

Larry

May 15, 2012, 7:20:49 AM5/15/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,
     Is it possible to execute my job as following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<cronentries>
  <cron>
    <url>/mytask</url>
    <description>Execute my task, every 30 minutes of first and15th of month  </description>
    <schedule>1,15, of month every 2 hours</schedule>
    <timezone>America/New_York</timezone>
  </cron>
</cronentries>

This syntax is wrong and fail to deploy to GAE.
I tested another solution. Execute mytask every 30 minutes. Execute the real task only the date is 1 and 15.
I check the dashboard. The Frontend Instance Hours increase dramatically.

Any thoughts?
Larry

Ian Marshall

May 16, 2012, 5:15:11 AM5/16/12
to Google App Engine
Your syntax problem may lie within your "schedule" tag (mix of month
and every, and unwanted final comma):

<schedule>1,15, of month every 2 hours</schedule>

Your "description" tag and posting text do not match the every 2 hours
in your "schedule" tag. Assuming that you want to run every 30
minutes...

Option 1: try

<schedule>1,15 of month 00:00</schedule>

and at the end of your scheduled task enqueue a task to execute 30
minutes later, if this would be within the same day.

Option 2: try

<schedule>1,15 of month 00:00</schedule>
<schedule>1,15 of month 00:30</schedule>
<schedule>1,15 of month 01:00</schedule>
<schedule>1,15 of month 01:30</schedule>
<schedule>1,15 of month 23:30</schedule>

This is more robust than chaining enqueued tasks kicked off by a
scheduled task, but would be more cumbersome to code, since you will
need a cron entry for each schedule.

Is this any help?

Larry

May 16, 2012, 10:13:38 PM5/16/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lan,
    Thank you.
In option 1:
    Do you mean using etaMillis of TaskOptions using  to specify the execute time?
This could be a solution. We can trigger a TaskInit by cron and create 48 tasks in queue(every 30 minutes)
to avoid chain task.

In option 2:
    This is my first thought about cron.xml . I just wish a simple syntax to support such requirement.
If I change the schedule from 30 minutes to 2 minutes, the cron.xml will be 1800 entries.

Ian Marshall於 2012年5月16日星期三UTC+8下午5時15分11秒寫道:

Ian Marshall

May 17, 2012, 4:15:38 AM5/17/12
to Google App Engine
Thank you
---------
You're welcome.

In option 1: Do you mean using *etaMillis of **TaskOptions *using to
specify the execute time?
Yes.

We can trigger a TaskInit by cron and create 48 tasks in queue(every
30 minutes) to avoid chain task.
Good idea: I didn't think of that.

I just wish a simple syntax to support such requirement
Me too.

On May 17, 3:13 am, Larry <kuei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Lan,
>     Thank you.
> In option 1:
>     Do you mean using *etaMillis of **TaskOptions *using  to specify the

Peter McKenzie

May 20, 2012, 2:31:52 AM5/20/12
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Please create an issue on the issue tracker for this feature request.

Ian Marshall

May 20, 2012, 4:40:17 PM5/20/12
to Google App Engine