Instances still getting killed and causing user 500's

Kinesh Patel

Feb 27, 2013, 10:50:47 AM2/27/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
On Python 2.7 paid app. Setting an idle instance seems to mitigate this, but every time a new dynamic instance is spawned or hit i get this problem. Definitely not normal behavior.

Chris Tan

Feb 27, 2013, 1:32:07 PM2/27/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I'm also getting this problem.

Cesium

Feb 27, 2013, 8:10:37 PM2/27/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Starting about 16:30 Pacific time, my Java HRD Instances were shutting down after just a few seconds.

Just as my rage reached class IV, serving returned to normal.

I know this is an overreaction, but I may have to sacrifice a unicorn.

Please, please, App Engine team, spare Mr. Sparkles.

This is disheartening,
David

Cesium

Feb 27, 2013, 8:45:50 PM2/27/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Oh Joy,

Now the console charts have been erased.

I'm losing it.

Unicorn liver pate for dinner.

David

Cesium

Feb 27, 2013, 10:20:49 PM2/27/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
A couple hours later, all is well.
Instances are lasting.
Latency is low.

Thank you Mr. Sparkles. (burp).

Prashant Hegde

Feb 27, 2013, 10:23:56 PM2/27/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Many apps are hitting the same issue, starring the following may increase chances of getting resolution. The app engine performance is unpredictable. Right now, as far as we are concerned, the most effective solution is to offer prayers very sincerely every morning.

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=8781

This issue has been around for a few weeks with no resolution or any semblance of activity.

Prashant

Mos

Feb 28, 2013, 7:06:00 AM2/28/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Trust me; Google has no clue what's going on.
The instance scheduler went crazy, people have downtimes and have
increased billing (for weeks!)

If Google would be able to track the problem (or would have a clue how
to fix it),
they would give a comment.

As I wrote. That's not the first time. Last year we had the same
situation for weeks.
Google is not learning from past faults. That's the biggest problem.
Check the latest comments of last years issue:
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=8004

I think it is important to make this behavior public. And I hope the press
will tell the story.
All in all GAE is not a priority product of Google and I'm sure that
it is out of business in the next five years!

Thiago Catoto

Feb 28, 2013, 7:41:24 AM2/28/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

+1 to Mos

Cesium

Feb 28, 2013, 7:48:37 AM2/28/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com, mos...@googlemail.com
Mos makes some good points and states them clearly.

However, my idea of Faith Based Scheduler Maintenance seems to be yielding pretty good results.

David

Mos

Mar 1, 2013, 3:05:58 AM3/1/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com, Takashi Matsuo
Hello Takashi,

any feedback for us?

Cheers
Mos

Michael Hermus

Mar 1, 2013, 10:39:34 AM3/1/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I have sacrificed several unicorns and prayed fervently to the Google Gods, but this morning instances are thrashing badly; living no more than a minute or so.

Google really needs to figure out the underlying issue, and also start communicating with their customers more effectively. The awesome power and features of App Engine will soon not be enough for us to suffer through this on an ongoing basis.

johnP

Mar 1, 2013, 12:28:13 PM3/1/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
This morning is a serving train-wreck here, too.

Carl Schroeder

Mar 1, 2013, 1:47:21 PM3/1/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I am porting to Go. Then I care much less about the instance scheduler committing unicorn genocide.
Almost done.

RIP GAE/J, thanks for wasting my dev time replacing you!

Cesium

Mar 1, 2013, 9:32:29 PM3/1/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure you noticed the question on this forum that Takashi did respond to.

Cesium

Mar 4, 2013, 5:50:18 PM3/4/13
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
To paraphrase johnP, "This afternoon is a serving train-wreck."

My poor unicorns' tongues are raw from gorging on Sour Skittles(tm).

David