New Pricing ROCKS! for Small apps

Brandon Wirtz

Sep 18, 2011, 12:53:15 AM9/18/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

I’m not bi-polar, honest :-)  Different apps at different sizes vary wildly under the new pricing, but I did find one of my apps that is going to be Cheaper, (by quite a lot actually)

37 cents a day reduced to 9.  That’s a 75% reduction.  A couple of caveats… Part of that is always on… Part of that is that this app is on Python 2.7 (which has reduced instances a ton) Most of my CPU hours come from API’s

$10 a month is pretty small, but $2.70 a month is even smaller.  This app could run on Dream Host for $9.95 a month, but not as fast, or with the same level of up time.  So this puts Appengine in the “competitive” category for this sized app.

Resource

Used

Free

Billable

Charge

CPU Time:
$0.10/CPU hour

0.97

6.50

0.00

$0.00

Bandwidth Out:
$0.12/GByte

0.61

1.00

0.00

$0.00

Bandwidth In:
$0.10/GByte

0.40

1.00

0.00

$0.00

Stored Data:
$0.005/GByte-day

0.00

1.00

0.00

$0.00

Recipients Emailed:
$0.10/1000 Emails

0.00

2.00

0.00

$0.00

High Replication Storage:
$0.008/GByte-day

8.95

0.50

8.45

$0.07

Backend Usage:
Prices

$0.00

$0.72

$0.00

$0.00

Always On:
$0.30/Day

Yes

-

-

$0.30

Total:

$0.37

Estimated Charges Under New Pricing

The charges below are estimates of what you would be paying once App Engine's new pricing model goes live. The amounts shown below are for your information only, they are not being charged and therefore do not affect your balance.

If you would like to optmize your application to reduce your costs in the future, make sure to read our
 Optimization Article. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact us at: appengine_up...@google.com.

Frontend Instance Hour costs reflect a 50% price reduction active until November 20th, 2011.

Resource

Used

Free

Billable

Charge

Frontend Instance Hours:
$0.04/Hour

26.93

24.00

2.93

$0.00

Backend Instance Hours:
$0.08/Hour

0.00

9.00

0.00

$0.00

Datastore Storage:
$0.008/GByte-day

8.95

1.00

7.95

$0.07

Blobstore Storage:
$0.0057/GByte-day

0.00

5.00

0.00

$0.00

Datastore Writes:
$1.00/Million Ops

0.07

0.05

0.02

$0.02

Datastore Reads:
$0.70/Million Ops

0.02

0.05

0.00

$0.00

Small Datastore Operations:
$0.10/Million Ops

0.00

0.05

0.00

$0.00

Bandwidth In:
$0.10/GByte

0.40

1.00

0.00

$0.00

Bandwidth Out:
$0.15/GByte

0.61

1.00

0.00

$0.00

Emails:
$0.01/100 Messages

0.00

1.00

0.00

$0.00

XMPP Stanzas:
$0.01/1000 Stanzas

0.00

1.00

0.00

$0.00

Opened Channels:
$0.01/100 Opens

0.00

1.00

0.00

$0.00

Total*: (before clipping to daily budget)

$0.09

Gerald Tan

Sep 18, 2011, 1:13:48 AM9/18/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
You're forgetting the $2.10 per week (~$9/month) minimum charge, which is actually annoying for small apps that only bill for a fraction of that, like mine where I am projecting spending about $0.80 per week but will be billed for $2.10 per week because of the minimum charge.

I understand that Google is doing this because it gets expensive incurring credit card charges per transaction for very small transactions. Which is why I'm suggesting that small apps should be able to pre-pay for credits (e.g. $5) in lieu of the minimum charge.

Gopal Patel

Sep 18, 2011, 1:50:37 AM9/18/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I think $2.10 also count towards resource usage if I am not mistaken. so gae is cheapest for app that is costing $2.10 to run.

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Gerald Tan <woeful...@gmail.com> wrote:
You're forgetting the $2.10 per week (~$9/month) minimum charge, which is actually annoying for small apps that only bill for a fraction of that, like mine where I am projecting spending about $0.80 per week but will be billed for $2.10 per week because of the minimum charge.

I understand that Google is doing this because it gets expensive incurring credit card charges per transaction for very small transactions. Which is why I'm suggesting that small apps should be able to pre-pay for credits (e.g. $5) in lieu of the minimum charge.

Brandon Wirtz

Sep 18, 2011, 3:27:00 AM9/18/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Can’t make anyone happy… I find one app that says it will be cheaper after the new pricing and you still poo-poo it… I see how it is. :-)

JH

Sep 18, 2011, 9:01:45 AM9/18/11
to Google App Engine
Or they could bill you once you reach a certain amount like $20. Just
as ad words doesn't pay until you are owed $100....

JH

Sep 18, 2011, 12:44:11 PM9/18/11
to Google App Engine
.37/day = $11.1/month
.9/day = $9/month/minimum so not a huge savings...

I posted earlier that I agree the new pricing is not so bad... small
hobby apps however do take a hit with $9/minimum... it's feasible with
1 or 2 apps but if you have 5 or 10 project apps the minimums can add
up.

Bay

Sep 18, 2011, 1:21:14 PM9/18/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
lets also keep in mind that your app will be slower and have more latency than before.

You had enabled 3 instances always on. If you aim for that under the new pricing regime you will pay a lot more than .09/day...

You might not be comparing apples and oranges. But you are comparing one apple with three apples - and pretending it is the same amount of apples.

Brandon Wirtz

Sep 18, 2011, 2:56:42 PM9/18/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

I don’t know why the count is 3, but my understanding is that 1 will get you two on python because they are half sized instances.  I only have 1 always on set in the app.

lets also keep in mind that your app will be slower and have more latency than before.

You had enabled 3 instances always on. If you aim for that under the new pricing regime you will pay a lot more than .09/day...

You might not be comparing apples and oranges. But you are comparing one apple with three apples - and pretending it is the same amount of apples.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/google-appengine/-/fgnBQoETYP0J.

Felippe Bueno

Sep 18, 2011, 2:57:23 PM9/18/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I had significant pricing changes on my apps.

I have 3 apps

appid1 ~1500 rec/sec dropped from ~$170 to ~$75 (per day)
appid2 ~150 rec/sec dropped from ~$11 to $7 (per day)
appid3 ~4 rec/sec increases from $0 to ~$0.13 (per day)

All data store reads operation are made using key_names.
I use global variables in conjuction with memcache, and all data store writes are made using tasks.
Still, I don't use datastore so much.

I know that, for my tiny appid3 the price will increase. But in my case it will compensate by the price drop for the other 2 appids.

Robert Kluin

Sep 18, 2011, 5:50:04 PM9/18/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I've got a bunch of apps I use for stuff like testing, or
verifying things before posting responses on the groups, etc..., that
I need to evaluate now. Several have tiny little charges showing up
some days which will translate to $9/month. Kind of a bummer.

Niklas Rosencrantz

Sep 19, 2011, 10:49:29 AM9/19/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for sharing the info about your apps. I think it could be better for apps that are medium-sized. If your app is commercial you can't expect to host it for free anyhow. And I agree that you shouldn't have to pay for tests or something that is nothing but development and research. Attached is my latest pricing - it's still not much to talk about and effects may have come from running mapreduce since I'm migrating to HRD.
Regards,
Niklas

Ian Bellamy

Sep 18, 2011, 5:11:10 PM9/18/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
That's an interesting point. If you could optimize your resource usage to $2.10, that would be the cheapskate sweet spot :)