How I reduced my AppEngine costs despite new pricing

Santiago Lema

Sep 1, 2011, 12:06:39 PM9/1/11
to Google App Engine
I detailed on my blog how using simplificative optimization can
compensate for the unbelievable price increase. As you can see there
wasn't any good reason to worry.

As usual we developers were stupid and Google in its almighty goodness
was just misunderstood. Adapting the code appropriately will
definitely lower our bills.

http://i.smte.ch/b/35001

PS: Sorry. I had to.

Angke

Sep 1, 2011, 1:37:06 PM9/1/11
to Google App Engine
OMG great post!

+1984

Jon Romero Vlachogiannis

Sep 1, 2011, 4:40:26 PM9/1/11
to Google App Engine

Santiago Lema

Sep 1, 2011, 6:14:51 PM9/1/11
to Google App Engine
Joke aside removing "always on" instances (that were sitting idle) and
upping the latency a bit to 60ms did move my public website
(smallte.ch) from a ridiculous 6 instances to between 1 and 2,
effectively making it acceptable.

When it comes to my iPhone stats websites it seemed to reduce the
number of instances slightly but still the price to pay is huge
compared to the service given. The price for one instance is just
ridiculous. It's just as expensive as a dedicated server. And you
still have to pay additional bandwidth and storage.