Java 8 and the App Engine

Raphael André Bauer

May 22, 2015, 5:35:39 AM5/22/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone can comment on whether it is even planned to
implement Java 8 support on good old App Engine.
There is a feature request open for more than 2 years now:
https://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=9537

It feels weird that App Engine only supports a Java version
where the official Oracle JDK is end of life.

Thanks for any enlightenment!

Raphael

Jeff Schnitzer

May 22, 2015, 12:45:18 PM5/22/15
to Google App Engine
If you read through the comments from Googlers here here you get the strong impression that they are focused on making Managed VMs as easy as old app engine (or close to it), and are unlikely to bring Java8 to old app engine.

Jeff

Raphael

Chad Vincent

May 22, 2015, 5:40:34 PM5/22/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com, je...@infohazard.org
They also mentioned that they use OpenJDK, not Oracle, and are continuing to patch it for security issues despite Oracle's Java 7 being EoL.

Ludovic Champenois

May 22, 2015, 7:08:45 PM5/22/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
While I can not predict when it will come up, I can tell you we are working on enable Java 8 to the good old App Engine (not that old!!!).
We want to make it as secure as our current Java 7 runtime, and once we feel we are ready, we'll push it.

For now,it is only possible on Managed VMs, as a custom runtime.

Ludo (TML Google App Engine Runtimes)

Raphael André Bauer

May 24, 2015, 11:24:45 AM5/24/15
On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 1:08 AM, Ludovic Champenois <lu...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> While I can not predict when it will come up, I can tell you we are working
> on enable Java 8 to the good old App Engine (not that old!!!).
> We want to make it as secure as our current Java 7 runtime, and once we feel
> we are ready, we'll push it.
>
> For now,it is only possible on Managed VMs, as a custom runtime.

Thanks for the answer Ludovic - very helpful :)

Best,

Raphael

Emanuele Ziglioli

May 24, 2015, 4:35:44 PM5/24/15
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
That's great news!!

Now, if you stumble upon someone from the Android team, just let them know... ;-)

Maksim Voloshin

Oct 1, 2015, 10:50:02 AM10/1/15
to Google App Engine
Hello!

How is your progress? :)

dylan drummond

Oct 4, 2015, 4:21:48 PM10/4/15
to Google App Engine
I have an app that uses Java 8 (and Java EE7), runs ok on OpenShift, would be nice to be able to stick it onto good new App Engine (since it's a spare-time game-app nobody will be investing in or paying for, difficult to justify getting a managed VM etc)... so, waiting n hoping for a GAE "basic runtime" update here also.

Stefan Falk

May 27, 2016, 5:24:30 PM5/27/16
to Google App Engine
It appears that Java 8 is still not supported ..

I am currently developing a GWT application and I compile both, the client and the server, against Java 8 .. I recently discovered that if I deploy my application to GAE that I get the "Unsupported major.minor version 52.0" exception on every request :-Z

Any idea how long it will take until Java 8 is going to be supported?

BR;

ludovic Champenois

May 29, 2016, 2:53:02 PM5/29/16

On 5/27/16 2:24 PM, Stefan Falk wrote:
It appears that Java 8 is still not supported ..

I am currently developing a GWT application and I compile both, the client and the server, against Java 8 .. I recently discovered that if I deploy my application to GAE that I get the "Unsupported major.minor version 52.0" exception on every request :-Z

Any idea how long it will take until Java 8 is going to be supported?
We are getting close, finalizing the necessary security sandbox changes. This is the hardest part, I hope you'll like what you can do on it.
Meanwhile, you can investigate the flexible environment.
Ludo

BR;

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 2:35:39 AM UTC-7, ra wrote:
Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone can comment on whether it is even planned to
implement Java 8 support on good old App Engine.
There is a feature request open for more than 2 years now:
https://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=9537

It feels weird that App Engine only supports a Java version
where the official Oracle JDK is end of life.

Thanks for any enlightenment!

Raphael

Wilson MacGyver

May 30, 2016, 6:32:27 PM5/30/16
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
wow, that is great news!

Jeff Schnitzer

May 31, 2016, 12:05:27 PM5/31/16
to Google App Engine
Also, in the short term, Retrolambda works great with GAE:

It’s just lambdas, no streams, but it’s still a massive quality of life improvement. Just be sure to run your CI system in Java7 to catch any illegal 8isms that might accidentally creep in.

Jeff