Re: [google-appengine] WTF again. Why so many GAE group posts are moved into "American-porn" group?

Message has been deleted

Jeff Schnitzer

Nov 22, 2011, 6:57:56 AM11/22/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Not moved, copied.  This is almost certainly someone using Google Groups to (try to) game search engine rankings.

Jeff

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Tapir <tapi...@gmail.com> wrote:
http://groups.google.com/group/American-porn2/search?group=American-porn2&q=app+engine&qt_g=Search+this+group

I am the 20%

Message has been deleted

Jeff Schnitzer

Nov 22, 2011, 12:17:29 PM11/22/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I am confused.  Here is a post of mine on the spam group:

Here is my post in the original group (still there!):

Looks like a straight-up copy.  Are you sure you were looking in the right group for the original?  ie google-appengine vs google-appengine-java?

The group should be yanked, yes, but not panicked over :-)

Jeff

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Tapir <tapi...@gmail.com> wrote:
It is EXACTLY moved.
It seems the Google Groups has secure holes.
I have reported it to the Google Groups team.

On Nov 22, 7:57 pm, Jeff Schnitzer <j...@infohazard.org> wrote:
> Not moved, copied.  This is almost certainly someone using Google Groups to
> (try to) game search engine rankings.
>
> Jeff
>

> > --
>
> --
> I am the 20%

Barry Hunter

Nov 22, 2011, 12:36:58 PM11/22/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Some are being moved

Take
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/b4ecfbc3d48342c3/60edbc94c36ee629
Only shows two posts.

Rest of the posts are here
http://groups.google.com/group/American-porn2/browse_thread/thread/fadf3050b86580d9/8673d49e01b4c63f?lnk=gst&q=app+engine#8673d49e01b4c63f

(they appear to be moved, rather than simply copied, as they have the
right sender, and missing from the original group)

Checking in Gmail (I'm subscribed to the group by email), I received
all four posts via the group originally for that thread.

Your profile
https://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=yjPEIRMAAABY6fDofa0rTjyZxpXbZJ8UCrTwKYbraL2wE_wkV0bY1A
looks interesting too. Posts in all sorts of funny groups.

Jeff Schnitzer

Nov 22, 2011, 1:12:34 PM11/22/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Fascinating, you're right - it looks like Google Groups is under attack.  I just found a post of mine now missing from the original group:

Wow.  This completely mangles the appengine group archives.  I take it back, it's time to panic :-)

Jeff

Brandon Wirtz

Nov 22, 2011, 1:42:30 PM11/22/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

Must be my searches for a mermaid costume to wear to meetings with Google spilled over to the forums…. Dupe Posts often get deleted from groups, and if a spam group forwards posts to make it looked well trafficked it builds ranking.

Google Groups is a haven for spammers.  Using the ListServe (email) is a great way to make sure you get everything and that your messages are seen, and you see everything.

Gregory D'alesandre

Nov 22, 2011, 1:54:32 PM11/22/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I'll check in with the Groups team on this.

Greg

Brandon Wirtz

Nov 22, 2011, 2:36:07 PM11/22/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

The Moving of posts? Or Getting me a Mermaid Costume?

Gregory D'alesandre

Nov 22, 2011, 2:42:58 PM11/22/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Your desire for a mermaid costume is already a frequently discussed topic internally...

Greg

James Broberg

Nov 23, 2011, 12:24:57 AM11/23/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
FYI - Premier tier comes with a free mermaid costume. You are totally
missing out.

Jim Douglas

Nov 23, 2011, 6:42:36 PM11/23/11
to Google App Engine
Greg,

Not sure if you would have noticed this; it seems to affect all of
us. Here's your profile:

http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=Zv7tuxAAAACy4JMQo8Z2z60KpjGFZb6i

Very disconcerting to see messages attributed to me that I didn't
post.

On Nov 22, 10:54 am, "Gregory D'alesandre" <gr...@google.com> wrote:
> I'll check in with the Groups team on this.
>
> Greg
>

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Brandon Wirtz <drak...@digerat.com> wrote:
> > Must be my searches for a mermaid costume to wear to meetings with Google
> > spilled over to the forums…. Dupe Posts often get deleted from groups, and
> > if a spam group forwards posts to make it looked well trafficked it builds

> > ranking.****
>
> > ** **

> > Google Groups is a haven for spammers.  Using the ListServe (email) is a
> > great way to make sure you get everything and that your messages are seen,

> > and you see everything.****
>
> > ** **

Brandon Wirtz

Nov 24, 2011, 1:40:46 AM11/24/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
You don't think Greg was posting about "Langerie Girls"?

I decided I don't want to see mine.

Greg,

http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=Zv7tuxAAAACy4JMQo8Z2z60KpjG
FZb6i

> > >bUkJ Here is my post in the original group (still there!):

Simon Knott

Nov 24, 2011, 7:18:23 AM11/24/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Is there any news on this Greg?  I appear to have posted to some alarming groups a couple of days ago!

Personally, I'm going to lay the blame on Brandon - this didn't happen until he started playing with hosting porn on GAE....

Simon Knott

Nov 24, 2011, 7:20:29 AM11/24/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Wow, it's bloody fast as well - it already appears to have "moved" a post I made 7 minutes ago, at least in the activity stream.

barryhunter

Nov 24, 2011, 7:57:02 AM11/24/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Simon, do you have any examples, of moved posts - ie where its no longer showing in this group?

Your recent ones seem to be just duplicated rather than moved.

I too notice this happened very shortly after Brandon posted NSFW links in this group....

Simon Knott

Nov 24, 2011, 8:01:08 AM11/24/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I can't see it moving the actual post, but it does seem to move the history of the post.

For example, my recent postings don't actually appear to show being made in the GAE forums at all - they seem to originate from one of the spam groups.

Tim Hoffman

Nov 24, 2011, 9:39:49 AM11/24/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
This seems widespread I am finding some of my posts here appearing in adult content groups.

Gregory D'alesandre

Nov 24, 2011, 1:20:16 PM11/24/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the groups team is looking into it.  One question was do people have specific examples of posts that have been actually moved that they are certain that they did not delete from the group?  A few example of that would be useful if you could reply with them.

Thanks!

Greg

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 6:39 AM, Tim Hoffman <zute...@gmail.com> wrote:
This seems widespread I am finding some of my posts here appearing in adult content groups.

Tim Hoffman

Nov 25, 2011, 4:11:23 AM11/25/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg

I only post to a couple of groups.

You can see my reply to "Can I use set in appengine?"  isn't coming up in appengine but is listed in some wierd group.

Plus there where other posts in an adult content group last night, some have disappeared now.

Rgds

Tim

Brandon Wirtz

Nov 25, 2011, 4:21:09 AM11/25/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?user=dra...@digerat.com&qt_a=Look+up+author

I post to this group exclusively… And am not really in to beastiality…. I like girls, I like dogs, but not together.

Nov 25, 2011, 4:31:24 AM11/25/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Are you honestly trying to tell us that you didn't post in the "adult mermaid costume" forum, after asking for one the other day? :)

Brandon Wirtz

Nov 25, 2011, 4:40:08 AM11/25/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

SEO, If you know how things end up in the wrong place all you have to do is mention them.   And mermaids aren’t bestiality… I don’t think… That could go either way.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/google-appengine/-/Os2ppJ9lvmgJ.