Re: UNBELIEVABLE NEW BILLING!! Google Please respond...

Message has been deleted

Anders

Aug 31, 2011, 6:59:37 PM8/31/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Agree. I saw a jump from $0.30 per day to $3.66 per day. Over ten times the price! To be fair the increase is only for instance hours and those can be limited but anyway. I find the whole paying for per instance concept opaque and suspicious. What exactly is one instance, and how many instances share the same physical server etc?

Santiago Lema

Aug 31, 2011, 7:27:21 PM8/31/11
to Google App Engine
As I posted in another thread I am seeing an enormous increase in the
comparison in the billing history too. However it seems most of it was
based on my numerous idle instances.

Note that I disabled 'always' on to remove three mostly idle instances
and increased tolerable latency to 60 ms. According to history my
monthly costs would go up to 500+$ monthly under the new pricing. But
if I look at the current instances since I wrote my mail they are now
much lower.

I just don't know what to believe. I have invested a lot of time on
this platform but the rules change at Google's will it maybe time to
switch. I hope the cloud would free me from the slavery of linux
administration but it seems now I am the slave of Google's varying
pricing.

Anders

Aug 31, 2011, 7:54:02 PM8/31/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
My guess is that the new price model will be reasonable fair. Anything else would be an insane move by Google. Let's abandon ALL Google products, including Google Search, if they become too greedy. :D

Michael Robellard

Aug 31, 2011, 8:03:04 PM8/31/11
to Google App Engine
Dear Google,

I love Google App Engine, but right now I am at a loss for what to do.
My current billing is $4.98/day. Under the new system it is $34.41/
day, and that is with the 50% frontend discount. The effort that would
be involved in porting my app to a different architecture is far
beyond what I could accomplish in the next few weeks, and to be honest
I don't want to move off of App Engine. I like not having to deal with
Sys Admin stuff.

I have to imagine that Google did not intentionally raise my serving
rates by 700%, so that must mean I am doing something wrong in my code/
design, however I don't know how to fix these problems currently. I
have already done a lot of work in the past to memcache things and do
multiple gets and puts in a single call, and most of my apps time is
spent handling tasks. So I have already done a lot of what is
recommended in the managing resources guide.

In addition I don't understand how my app says it has 1.05 million
reads and 12.3 million writes per day when I look at Appstats and see
that I have at least 3 datastore gets for every one datastore put and
that's not count next and runquery.

Thanks,

Mike
Railroad Empire
appid: railroadempire

On Aug 31, 6:51 pm, smwatch <showm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it really 10 times the original cost.!! Now we will be paying from
> $200/month to $2000/month under new billing. Just out of our reach,
> does not make any business sense to stay with GAE.
>
> We spent huge amount of time and effort to learn and develop in
> Python, and now we are being forced to move out of Google Engine. This
> completely does not make any sense.
>
> Google please respond, you are reading please give us more time to
> either move off your systems, or compensate for existing users. Giving
> a email notice of such a short duration and showing Preview of billing
> so late in the game is just not right.
>
> Google please do the right thing to make this billing more gradual.
>
> Developers all over, please help show your sentiment.

Craig Mitchell

Aug 31, 2011, 8:22:48 PM8/31/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Please Google App Engine people, give us more time to tune our apps!  2 weeks is not long enough to make changes and see if the optimized versions will be good enough to not have to move to the paid option.

I hadn't ever "Manually Adjust the Scheduler in the Admin Console" or "Enable Concurrent Requests in Java", and I want to see if doing this will be enough to get back into the free version.

Thanks.

Robert Kluin

Sep 1, 2011, 1:20:59 AM9/1/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mike,
 The difference is due to indexes. Every index write is a datastore operation too.  So if your entity has five indexed properties, you've got another 10 datastore operations per entity written.

Robert
> --

------
Robert Kluin
Ezox Systems, LLC

Kaan Soral

Sep 1, 2011, 6:33:15 PM9/1/11
to Google App Engine
WOW, Im glad I took the time and added indexed=False to wherever
possible

Mike Wesner

Sep 1, 2011, 7:24:37 PM9/1/11
to Google App Engine
and just so everyone knows, you can change this field after existing
data is there and next time you put/write the entity the impact will
be reduced. It is a good practice to always set indexed=False unless
you know you need the single property index or if you want to use it
in a composite index (index.yaml).

Sudhindra A N

Sep 1, 2011, 12:53:37 AM9/1/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I started learning technology related to GAE (including it), now I see it is going beyond the common people's hand......

Need to think twice before investing my time...

Thanks,
Sudhindra