Quick update about go1.8

Steven Buss

Mar 23, 2017, 6:01:26 PM3/23/17
to google-appengine-go
I promised this list that I'd keep you all updated on our progress.

First, this is not an announcement of go1.8 support. An actual announcement will come later via a more official email with promises, dates, and instructions. Don't consider anything below to be a promise from Google, or any kind of official communication; this is just me trying to provide some transparency.

I just want to let you all know that progress on the go1.8 release is still moving along. I have one more person that needs to sign off on the release and then it will get moved into our production release pipeline. I can't give you an exact time estimate, but it will be at least two weeks from today before you can play with it. I'm doing everything I can to get it out as soon as possible.

I'm excited to get this live, and can't wait for that official announcement email to get sent :)

Cheers

Original gopher drawing Copyright Renee French (CC BY 3.0)

Damien Lebrun

Mar 26, 2017, 7:27:36 AM3/26/17
to google-appengine-go
Hi,

Will the SDK support `Request.Context()` and `Request.WithContext()`? Without it it, Will 3rd party packages like Gorilla's work on App Engine?

Thanks for the update

dcco...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2017, 3:38:54 PM3/27/17
to google-appengine-go
Steve,

On half of the App Engine Go community, and the original gopher drawing, I would like to thank you for delivering this transparency. Please do not leave the App Engine Go team, we will be in the dark without you.

Steven Buss

Mar 28, 2017, 12:59:39 PM3/28/17
to dcco...@gmail.com, google-appengine-go, Damien Lebrun
Damien -- We will be running go 1.8, which means we'll support the new context stdlib package. Gorilla uses that, AFAIK, so I don't expect there to be a problem. My only familiarity with the Gorilla issue is shown in a previous thread, so from what I remember, upgrading Go should allow you to use Gorilla at HEAD without issue.

David -- I'm glad you appreciate it! I'll stick around a while :)

saif

Apr 10, 2017, 8:24:15 PM4/10/17
to google-appengine-go
is there a nightly build or something that we can validate our code with?
thanks.

Steven Buss

Apr 11, 2017, 2:58:32 PM4/11/17
to saif, google-appengine-go
Unfortunately not. I'm almost finished preparing the Go 1.8 SDK, but still need to coordinate with legal and the gcloud teams. So two weeks at the earliest for the SDK, but there are a lot of moving parts so it's hard to make a good prediction (especially since this is my first time doing this so I don't have any data with which to calibrate my estimates).

Steven Buss

Apr 13, 2017, 4:28:21 PM4/13/17
to saif, google-appengine-go
Some good news: We aren't *quite* ready for the public release, but we're in the home stretch. Lots of teams inside Google use App Engine, so we like to use them as Guinea pigs, and as of this morning our Google-internal apps can start playing with Go 1.8. There will be a short period of internal testing with whatever teams volunteer to be guinea pigs followed by a public release and announcement, *hopefully* before the end of April, but there are a number of moving parts that can block that.

I'm not sure if I'll get the SDK with 1.8 support out before the release so that you can test locally, but I'm trying :)

Disclaimer: This is unofficial comms, don't take any of the above as a promise from Google.

Damien Lebrun

Apr 14, 2017, 4:11:39 PM4/14/17
to google-appengine-go, adrian....@gmail.com
Thanks for the good news.

Wilson MacGyver

Apr 14, 2017, 6:23:14 PM4/14/17
to Steven Buss, saif, google-appengine-go
thank you so much for keeping us posted.

dele...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2017, 10:36:09 AM4/20/17
to google-appengine-go, adrian....@gmail.com
Thank you Steven, the unofficial news looks promising.

jz...@leap.ai

Jun 9, 2017, 10:43:34 AM6/9/17
to google-appengine-go
Hi Steven, I understand you would have given updates here if it's already ready. Wonder how close is it now to get there? Thanks for working hard on this.

Steven Buss

Jun 9, 2017, 11:07:06 AM6/9/17
to jz...@leap.ai, google-appengine-go
Unfortunately, about two weeks after my last update I discovered a problem and I've been working with three other teams to fix it (it required changes in gcloud, admin api, and the web UI). Those teams are all great and move fast, but it still took some time to get everything tested, verified, and polished. The last of those changes should roll out next week, assuming all of my integration checks are green :)

So, what does that mean for Go 1.8? After next week's gcloud release I'll be able to move forward on preparing a public 1.8 SDK. As soon as the SDK ships you'll be able to upgrade! I wish I could give you an exact time estimate, but past experience indicates it wouldn't be useful or accurate ;)

What about 1.9? We're quickly approaching a 1.9 RC, and I will launch support for 1.9 on App Engine shortly thereafter. Hopefully even before GopherCon.

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 7:43 AM, <jz...@leap.ai> wrote:
Hi Steven, I understand you would have given updates here if it's already ready. Wonder how close is it now to get there? Thanks for working hard on this.

saif

Jun 27, 2017, 8:42:20 PM6/27/17
to google-appengine-go, jz...@leap.ai

Steven Buss

Jun 27, 2017, 9:35:30 PM6/27/17
to saif, google-appengine-go, jz...@leap.ai, Adam Tanner
:)

I was wondering if anybody would notice it on the release notes! Feel free to start using it by setting `api_version: go1.8` in your app.yaml. Note that this won't ship with gcloud until next week, and the official announcement email will be next week or the week after.

But please start playing around and let me know if you run into problems!

This was a long slog with a bunch of work from many teams, but I'd like to thank Adam Tanner (adamtanner@), in particular, for all of his hard work before I got here, and for all the help he gave as this project transitioned to me.

Happy hacking

Alexander Trakhimenok

Jun 28, 2017, 6:28:02 AM6/28/17
to google-appengine-go
Steven, if it is not available with gcloud how do we install it? I don't see any dedicated download for AppEngine Go SDK as before.

Also I am concerned about trying gcloud as people report the deploy to prod is broken at the moment. So I still use old dedicated SDK. Can you confirm this issue has been fixed?

Can you on someone point out steps for updating AppEngine SDK to Go 1.8?

Steven Buss

Jun 28, 2017, 1:12:24 PM6/28/17
to Alexander Trakhimenok, google-appengine-go
It will be available via gcloud shortly, but since that team maintains a separate release schedule it won't ship until next week. Normally I'd wait and release everything at the same time, but I *really* wanted to get this in your hands asap.

The "original" SDK for Go is still available on our SDK downloads page at https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/go/download. Just click "Or, you can download the original App Engine SDK for Go." at the bottom of the page and you can download the new SDK zips.

Also I am concerned about trying gcloud as people report the deploy to prod is broken at the moment.

There was an issue with gcloud v160.0.0 which we rolled back, but it should work now. There is a known issue with vendoring & gcloud app deploy, so if you vendor any dependencies you should keep using the original SDK until I have the time to fix how we vendor with gcloud. (Hopefully soon, I know this is a big pain point and is preventing a lot of people from switching to gcloud)

Steven Buss

kar...@sostronk.com

Jun 28, 2017, 1:54:03 PM6/28/17
to google-appengine-go, alexander....@gmail.com
Guys, drop our hero a follow here: https://github.com/sbuss

Finally, Go 1.8, and something tells me future versions will have a much better schedule going forward.

@Steven:

Thanks for this :) Love the work.

Could you point me to the right channel/place/forum to post about the cryptic behavior of:

dev/sdks/go_appengine/google/appengine/tools/devappserver2/mtime_file_watcher.py:182: UserWarning: There are too many files in your application for changes in all of them to be monitored. You may have to restart the development server to see some changes to your files.
  'There are too many files in your application for '

and potentially work towards a more battery friendly SDK on the Mac.

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 3:28 AM, Alexander Trakhimenok <alexander....@gmail.com> wrote:
Steven, if it is not available with gcloud how do we install it? I don't see any dedicated download for AppEngine Go SDK as before.

Also I am concerned about trying gcloud as people report the deploy to prod is broken at the moment. So I still use old dedicated SDK. Can you confirm this issue has been fixed?

Can you on someone point out steps for updating AppEngine SDK to Go 1.8?

Steven Buss

Jun 28, 2017, 6:06:12 PM6/28/17
to kar...@sostronk.com, google-appengine-go, Alexander Trakhimenok
Finally, Go 1.8, and something tells me future versions will have a much better schedule going forward.

I've already started work on 1.9 :)

Could you point me to the right channel/place/forum...

Sure, I'll connect you to the appropriate folks off-list.

Karan Misra

Jun 28, 2017, 6:06:53 PM6/28/17
to Steven Buss, google-appengine-go, Alexander Trakhimenok
Thanks a lot Steven :) Looking forward to 1.9!

Regards,

Karan Misra
Co-Founder & CTO
SoStronk

cass....@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2017, 10:51:42 AM6/29/17
to google-appengine-go, alexander....@gmail.com
Thanks for the reply on this Steven. I know I (and I'm sure other folks) appreciate the response on the issue of vendoring + gcloud usage and I'm encouraged that folks are looking into fixing it! :)

Cass

pedro mg

Jun 29, 2017, 11:04:08 AM6/29/17
to google-appengine-go, kar...@sostronk.com, alexander....@gmail.com
Hi,

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 11:06:12 PM UTC+1, Steven Buss wrote:
Finally, Go 1.8, and something tells me future versions will have a much better schedule going forward.

I've already started work on 1.9 :)

that's great news, thanks Steven :)

best,
--
Pedro Mota

de...@pathoz.com

Jul 11, 2017, 4:21:04 AM7/11/17
to google-appengine-go, alexander....@gmail.com
I did "download the original App Engine SDK for Go"  (with 1.8 beta) but it's not clear where to put it (MacOS)  or how to make dev_appserver use it.....or how to delete the 1.6 version from gcloud to avoid confusion.  Can you give us some docs on this?

Steven Buss

Jul 11, 2017, 1:19:51 PM7/11/17
to de...@pathoz.com, google-appengine-go, Alexander Trakhimenok
Sure, and I understand the difficulty you're facing. It's much easier to switch from the legacy SDK to gcloud, since gcloud does so much of the set up automatically.

Before proceeding, I'd like to note that go1.8 will be available via gcloud tomorrow morning (July 12, around 9am Pacific), so if you can wait a day I'd advise you just do that. You'll want gcloud v162.0.0.

Follow these steps to use the original SDK:
1) Download the SDK zip
2) Unzip it to anywhere you find suitable. I usually unzip directly to $HOME, which leaves me with $HOME/go_appengine as the path to my SDK
3) Add that directory to your path, eg:
    export PATH=$HOME/go_appengine:$PATH

Now, since go_appengine is first on your PATH, whenever you run dev_appserver.py you will use the one from the legacy SDK. To stop using the original SDK and switch back to gcloud, just remove that entry from your PATH.