UserWarning: There are too many files in your application for changes in all of them to be monitored

bsr

May 9, 2013, 5:19:46 PM5/9/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

First time using 1.8.0 and getting this warning. I restarted few times in vain.

Well, I have my client folder within my src folder (where app.yaml sits), which has many client side repositories (javascript libraries, etc). It is in fact a symbolic link to client application, and not sure whether is it counting towards that many files. Is there a way to exclude that folder (say 'client') from file watch? or how can get rid of the below warning, or is it harmless?

GAE/1.8.0/google/appengine/tools/devappserver2/mtime_file_watcher.py:82: UserWarning: There are too many files in your application for changes in all of them to be monitored. You may have to restart the development server to see some changes to your files.
  'There are too many files in your application for '

bsr

May 9, 2013, 5:27:17 PM5/9/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com
I guess it is not harmless, as my cpu usage is 100% with 1.8.0
switched back to 1.7.6, and works alright.
Please let me know.

David Symonds

May 9, 2013, 5:44:40 PM5/9/13
to bsr, google-ap...@googlegroups.com
Which OS are you on? How big is your $GOPATH?

GOPATH is watched because your app might be pulling those packages in.

On some OSes you can twiddle a knob to increase the watch limits.

bsr

May 9, 2013, 6:49:40 PM5/9/13
to google-ap...@googlegroups.com, bsr
Thanks Dave. I am on Mac OS X Version 10.7.5.

I will remove packages I don't use currently from GOPATH (there are not that many).

I have this structure

PATH/server
PATH/server/src/<sub packages>
PATH/server/src/app.yaml
PATH/server/src/client

where client folder is a symbolic link to all client side stuff (js, html ..)
I kept it here so it will be under web root.
in my app.yaml file, I have config like
- url: /scripts
  static_dir: client/scripts
- url: /img
  static_dir: client/img
- url: /styles
  static_dir: client/styles

so,
1. is there a way to structure app.yaml so I can have my client files accessible to webroot, but not under src.
2. or, skip <client> folder from dev_server watch.

thanks again for the prompt response

David Symonds

May 10, 2013, 11:21:39 AM5/10/13
On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM, bsr <bsr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. is there a way to structure app.yaml so I can have my client files
> accessible to webroot, but not under src.

You could use a separate GOPATH for your App Engine development.

> 2. or, skip <client> folder from dev_server watch.

I don't think you can, but that might make a reasonable feature request.