TTS api conditions for commercial app?

santycg

Mar 10, 2011, 3:11:02 PM3/10/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Hi

We are a POS (Point Of Sale) applications developer company and are
planning to support TTS for speeching the sales amount.

For example, if the sales amount is 28.54, we would like to use TTS to
speech '28.54'.

It is a commercial application, but we would like to support this as a
free plugin or free optional module.

Is it possible to use Google TTS api for this?

Thanks!

Jeremy Geerdes

Mar 11, 2011, 8:02:51 AM3/11/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
To my knowledge, there is no public TTS API.

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Generally Cool Guy
Des Moines, IA

For more information or a project quote:
jrge...@gmail.com

If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!

santycg

Mar 14, 2011, 4:32:05 PM3/14/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Yes, there is not TTS api, but there is a translate API with TTS
capabilities.

For example, the following link will TTS the text:

http://translate.google.com/translate_tts?tl=en&q=testing

On 11 mar, 13:02, Jeremy Geerdes <jrgeer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To my knowledge, there is no public TTS API.
>
> Jeremy R. Geerdes
> Generally Cool Guy
> Des Moines, IA
>
> For more information or a project quote:
> jrgeer...@gmail.com
>
> If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!
>
> On Mar 10, 2011, at 2:11 PM, santycg wrote:
>

> > Hi
>
> > We are a POS (Point Of Sale) applications developer company and are
> > planning to support TTS for speeching the sales amount.
>
> > For example, if the sales amount is 28.54, we would like to use TTS to
> > speech '28.54'.
>
> > It is a commercial application, but we would like to support this as a
> > free plugin or free optional module.
>
> > Is it possible to use Google TTS api for this?
>
> > Thanks!
>
> > --
>
> - Mostrar texto de la cita -

santycg

Mar 16, 2011, 11:58:11 AM3/16/11
to Google AJAX APIs
nobody knows?

AFAIK, the TTS option is included in the Translate API. Isn't it?
Maybe we have to wait for Google to publish it officially?

Zdravko Gligic

Mar 16, 2011, 11:59:23 AM3/16/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com, santycg
please provide a link where its indicated that tts is part of any api

santycg

Mar 16, 2011, 4:17:09 PM3/16/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Please, provide a link which indicates TTS is NOT included in
translate api.

I think that is not a correct answer. The link posted in prior message
includes a tts parameter for Google translate api, so it is normal to
think like I did.

Thanks

Jeremy Geerdes

Mar 16, 2011, 4:27:26 PM3/16/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Actually, legally speaking, you need to be able to provide proof that the TTS service IS included in the public translate API. The fact that you can query the endpoint does not constitute such proof. You must be able to show that you have permission and legal license to do so. This generally takes the form of a Terms of Service (TOS) page in Google-land. To my knowledge, there is no such TOS page granting you (or anyone) permission to utilize the TTS service outside of the Google-provided interface of translate.google.com.

For the record, there are PLENTY of sites out there that can tell you how to reverse engineer stuff, but that does not equate to legal permission to do so.

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Generally Cool Guy
Des Moines, IA

For more information or a project quote:

jrge...@gmail.com

If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights Wesleyan Church!

Alex

Mar 17, 2011, 12:26:43 PM3/17/11
to Google AJAX APIs
But that doesn't prevent iOS app developers such as iHandy Translator
or Free Translator from using this API !
Google is not offering it as a public API, but it seems that they also
don't try to prevent developers from using it.

Clarification from Google would be great!

On Mar 16, 9:27 pm, Jeremy Geerdes <jrgeer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, legally speaking, you need to be able to provide proof that the TTS service IS included in the public translate API.  The fact that you can query the endpoint does not constitute such proof. You must be able to show that you have permission and legal license to do so. This generally takes the form of a Terms of Service (TOS) page in Google-land. To my knowledge, there is no such TOS page granting you (or anyone) permission to utilize the TTS service outside of the Google-provided interface of translate.google.com.
>
> For the record, there are PLENTY of sites out there that can tell you how to reverse engineer stuff, but that does not equate to legal permission to do so.
>
> Jeremy R. Geerdes
> Generally Cool Guy
> Des Moines, IA
>
> For more information or a project quote:

Vision Jinx

Mar 17, 2011, 12:31:26 PM3/17/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Googles TOS indicate that you can only use their services by the tools
they provide.

santycg

Mar 17, 2011, 2:55:26 PM3/17/11
to Google AJAX APIs
Can we contact Google directly to have a more detailed answer, or if
there are plans to release public TTS API in the future?

As you know, TOS pages are not clear enough for everybody...

Zdravko Gligic

Mar 17, 2011, 3:03:46 PM3/17/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
As far as I am concerned, I would gladly pay GOOG a flat $25 fee to
spend 5-10 minutes looking at each of my apps / uses cases - within 5
business days of me submitting a Google Checkout payment.

I (the little guy) would gladly pay GOOG (the giant) to cover its
costs of protecting its own interests, while at the same time freely
building up its own business. I would gladly pay because what is now
is baddly ineffective.

DeWitt Clinton

Mar 17, 2011, 4:40:50 PM3/17/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
I don't believe we offer TTS as a service, but I'll ask around.

Generally speaking, when we have a public API we both document the API on code.google.com and provide explicit Terms by which the API may be used.  For example, the Google Translate API Terms:

If you don't see developer documentation for a product, and you don't see developer Terms, then you're likely looking at a consumer-facing product.  Consumer products (and all developer products, too) are all covered under our general Google Terms of Service:

Of course, many of our consumer facing web-based products are built using plenty of Ajax (no surprises there), and as such provide private endpoints to make the products work.  However, unless those endpoints are publicly documented and explicitly covered under developer-facing Terms, they're designed for internal usage only, will likely change or break over time, and thus shouldn't be accessed by external developers.  Section 5.3 of the Google ToS (linked above) may also be of particular interest here.

That said, we're always building new APIs, and love to hear your ideas for new ones.  I'll be sure to pass along the request for a TTS API, for example.

And as to why we're quiet sometimes when people ask specific questions about the ToS, we're actually not allowed to comment much on interpretations of the Terms, much as we might want to help.  The worst thing we can do for you (according to our lawyers, and I believe them) is give conflicting or confusing advice to you (we're not lawyers, after all, and we're definitely not your lawyer).  So for the most part we do what Jeremy does and suggest you talk to your own counsel if you have any doubts.

We can, however, talk about the APIs in general and point people to the right places for more information, so please don't hesitate to ask.  The worst thing that happens is that we can't answer specifically, but at least the question is out there.

-DeWitt

Zdravko Gligic

Mar 17, 2011, 5:06:06 PM3/17/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
I (Joe the public) would second the notion that working web pages
and/or URL interfaces that are merely parts of a web page, that they
themselves do not constitute a publicly published API and this is why
I specifically asked for a link to anything that indicates that it is
available and/or allowed. However, the original poster took a cute
way out by asking me to prove that it is forbidden - to which I would
like to respond that it is *not* explicitly forbidden any more than
any other type of "page scraping" - most of which are at least against
the spirit of copyrights that are held by site owners.

another dev

Jul 1, 2011, 3:17:02 PM7/1/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com
Have you been able to find anything out regarding if this service can be used - or if there are plans to disclose documentation on the https://www.google.com/speech-api/v1 ?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Jeremy Geerdes

Jul 3, 2011, 5:37:51 PM7/3/11
to google-ajax...@googlegroups.com

Unless and until you find (a) official public documentation of the API AND (b) official terms of service/use granting permission to use the API in non-Google appkications, you may NOT use the API. From past experience, Google does not telegraph future releases of APIs.

Jg