Errors in build Unity IOS plugin v3.1.0

. iv7

Oct 14, 2016, 9:47:15 AM10/14/16
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hello!

I have Unity 5.4.1p3 on the Windows.
Google Mobile Ads Unity Plugin v3.1.0
I created empty project and imported the plugin.
When I try to build for IOS - I have errors:

'pod' command not found; unable to generate a usable Xcode project. You can install cocoapods with the Ruby gem package manager:
 > sudo gem install -n /usr/local/bin cocoapods
 > pod setup
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
Google.IOSResolver:Log(String, Boolean, LogLevel)
Google.IOSResolver:OnPostProcessInstallPods(BuildTarget, String)
UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Unknown file extension: .xml
UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Unknown file extension: .meta
UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Unknown file extension: .jar
UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

I work in the Window so I cant do any "sudo" commands.

Veer Arjun Busani(Mobile Ads SDK Team)

Oct 14, 2016, 10:58:56 AM10/14/16
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi there,

This is because you cannot build iOS projects in Windows. You can only do it using Macs.

Thanks,
Arjun Busani
Mobile Ads SDK Team

. iv7

Oct 14, 2016, 1:02:22 PM10/14/16
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Unity have mode for generate IOS project.
But I understood you - GMA SDK cant :(

Veer Arjun Busani(Mobile Ads SDK Team)

Oct 14, 2016, 2:10:33 PM10/14/16
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi there,

You need CocoaPods to integrate our SDK via our Unity plugin. This, you can only integrate on Mac.

Thanks,
Arjun Busani
Mobile Ads SDK Team

Naderino

Nov 3, 2016, 12:11:26 PM11/3/16
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
That's too bad :/ Previous versions of the Mobile Ads SDK didn't have the requirement that you generate the project in Mac. I have integrated my builds in Unity Cloud Build, but seems to be broken now. Any plans on fixing this or re-implementing another CocoaPodsHelper for Unity?

Veer Arjun Busani(Mobile Ads SDK Team)

Nov 3, 2016, 12:33:01 PM11/3/16
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi Noderino,

You absolutely need a Mac machine to develop iOS projects. On Unity, you can only add code but to build an iOS project, you need a Mac.

Thanks,
Arjun Busani
Mobile Ads SDK Team

Naderino

Nov 3, 2016, 1:21:38 PM11/3/16
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Agreed, but I can't export the project anymore to build on a Mac machine as the person above mentioned as well

Naderino

Nov 3, 2016, 1:27:27 PM11/3/16
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Look like I'll have to build directly from Unity on my Mac machine, whereas before I would export from PC (much faster, since my 2009 mac is very slow) and only build the exported project folder afterwards on the Mac machine from the generated folder. That wasn't an issue with previous versions of the GoogleMobileAds SDK because there was a CocoPodsHelper class I'm assuming

Veer Arjun Busani(Mobile Ads SDK Team)

Nov 3, 2016, 5:24:59 PM11/3/16
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
HI Naderino,

I was just able to export the iOS Build on Windows using the latest version 3.1.1 Unity Mobile Ads plugin. It does throw the CocosPods not found error but the project itself is exported. Now, can you confirm the Mobile Ads Unity plugin version that last supported your use case

Also, if you are using Unity Cloud Build, then you can place the iOS SDK directly into the Assets > Plugins > iOS folder for it to compile.

Thanks,
Arjun Busani
Mobile Ads SDK Team

Naderino

Nov 3, 2016, 6:55:37 PM11/3/16
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi Veer,
Thank you for your prompt reply :)

It was Version 3.0.5 that worked, although it wasn't building properly because of an import error umbrella mobileads.h ( I guess it wasn't building the framework that was in the Assets/Plugins/iOS/ properly).
I think your current implementation is better, and you're right, although it throws that error, it generates the project folder to export to XCode (with the framework added), which is a great sign. However, the issue I'm having now is that in Unity Cloud Build, it stops building after it throws the error below:

9755: [Unity] *** Cancelled 'Build.Player.iOSSupport' in 164 seconds (164266 ms)
9756: [Unity] Player export failed. Reason: 'pod' command not found; unable to generate a usable Xcode project. You can install cocoapods with the Ruby gem package manager:
9757: [Unity]  > sudo gem install -n /usr/local/bin cocoapods
9758: [Unity]  > pod setup
9872:  ! Unity player export failed!
9873: ! build of 'xxxxxxxxxxxxx' failed. compile failed
9874: Publishing build 14 of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for target 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'...
9875: publishing finished successfully.

Veer Arjun Busani(Mobile Ads SDK Team)

Nov 4, 2016, 9:21:57 AM11/4/16
to Google Mobile Ads SDK Developers
Hi Naderino,

Unity Cloud Build is still looking for CocoaPod to install the pods as the Mobile Ads plugin is adding this dependency. While I would not be able to suggest you to edit the plugin, this post is certainly an interesting one. Note that we do not support editing any part of the plugin. If you are not using CocoaPod to inject dependencies, then also make sure that the iOS Mobile Ads SDK is in the Assets > Plugins > iOS folder.

Also, I will be sharing this with the team to see if any of the part of the plugin needs to be updated. Thank you for bringing this to our notice.

Thanks,
Arjun Busani
Mobile Ads SDK Team