Laps for Manual Swim/Run Activities

Ale Martinez

Feb 6, 2015, 10:31:38 AM2/6/15
to golden-che...@googlegroups.com
Manual activity entry now has the possibility to enter interval series by distance and time, the feature is very simple, It can be used it to enter pool/track workouts and as a tool for testing run/swim metrics.

The UI is primitive, not pretty, but fast for data entry using numeric pad+Tab+Enter, It is not integrated with device laps for imported files nor the series are stored with the activity so no new file format is defined, these and others are features it would be interesting to add for 4.0.

What follows are 2 examples using what is available now in master and will be included in the next build when available, the access is from Manual Entry dialog using Laps Editor button, it is disabled:

until sport is entered to set distance units according to sport preferences in Pace Zones:

In this example distance is in meters (yards is metric is not checked) and what follows is a simple session with 10x100 + 6x50 warm up, 8x200 main set and 300 cool down, all with passive recovery (rest dist = 0):

when finished duration and distance are automatically updated:

the generated activity will have 1 lap defined for each work/rest interval and 1 sample point for second, the speed curve for this example looks like this when the work intervals in the main set are selected:

since it is a normal activity the usual features work, for example summary allows to see the new metrics:

and Speed HIstogram can show cumulative time in Pace Zones:

The use for running is similar, distance is entered in km or miles according to Pace Zones setting for run and active recovery (rest dist not zero) probably more common.

Portaner

Aug 22, 2015, 6:55:03 AM8/22/15
to golden-cheetah-users

Hi,

the Laps Editor ist a fine tool. Had there still a few small points to be able to work with it even better:

1. Opening the Laps editor in the workout to see what you've done exactly. At the moment I can not open Laps Editor again for any forgotten or bottle to correct entries.
2. What I lack is that I can save the training session and open.
3. Would be nice also an additional column for the training content.

Best regards
Jörg

Ale Martinez

Aug 25, 2015, 1:38:07 PM8/25/15
to golden-cheetah-users
H Jörg, thanks for your feedback and ideas!

At present the workout structure in Laps Editor is used only to generate samples and laps, but not stored in the activity file, so it is not possible to review/edit it afterwards; perhaps the additional column could be used as a prefix to generate the interval names when present, which would be simple to implement and way more informative than the correlative numbering I've implemented, without changing the storage format.

OTOH direct import of FIT and better handling of lap swimming files in general is pending, I mean one which preserves length-by-length information when present and allows to edit laps to fix distance when doing kicking drills, etc. so these ideas could be integrated there.

Portaner

Sep 13, 2015, 12:30:30 PM9/13/15
to golden-cheetah-users
OK,
it would make sense that I buy the "Garmin Swim" for my swim units?

Serban Mestecaneanu

Sep 14, 2015, 1:09:02 PM9/14/15
to golden-cheetah-users
I am not sure I understand exactly. Is this feature available on GC 3.2? If yes, how can activate it? I have pool swims but see nothing like this...

thanks,
Serban

Portaner

Sep 14, 2015, 2:00:45 PM9/14/15
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi Serban,
what's your exactly problem? The Lap editor is integrate in GC 3.2
Jörg

Serban Mestecaneanu

Sep 15, 2015, 2:39:41 PM9/15/15
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi Jorg,

I cannot find the editor. I have imported pool swims from my Ambit3 but do not know how to activate the editor. I have tried with Swim and Swimming entered into the category.

Do I have to do something else?

Thanks,
Serban

art...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2015, 6:35:05 AM9/16/15
to golden-cheetah-users
Hi Serban,

you messed up two things. The editor is for insert workout manually for run and swim. You find it in tool bar (Activity -> Add Activity manually). Select Sport swim and open the lap editor. With this editor you are able to put in a series of laps with distance (work dist), time(work min and sec) and breaks (rest dist, min and sec). You cannot edit an activity what you have imported with the editor (not yet).

cheers
Andy