Golang IDE

Max

Jun 20, 2012, 8:50:31 AM6/20/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Please recommend IDE for Golang
I wish IDE to show list of classes and when I click on class I wish to see list of methods and fields.
I wish to navigate code faster and see its structure
Such functionality is common for Java and C++
Code completion is good as it ensures that method is already implemented.

André Moraes

Jun 20, 2012, 8:51:38 AM6/20/12
to Max, golan...@googlegroups.com

Max

Jun 20, 2012, 9:14:44 AM6/20/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Max
@ André

Thank You!

It is exactly what I looked.
I googled first and found extension for InteliJ
Installed InteliJ and Go plugin but it has not worked at all.

Peter Bourgon

Jun 20, 2012, 9:53:00 AM6/20/12
to Max, golan...@googlegroups.com
I've tried everything available, and (in my opinion) Sublime Text 2 +
GoSublime is far and away the best Go development environment. It
satisfies all of your requirements, with the one exception that it
doesn't provide an "outline view" of your project hierarchy. Of
course, that's solved already, by godoc.

http://www.sublimetext.com/2
https://github.com/DisposaBoy/GoSublime

Adam Crossland

Jun 20, 2012, 10:14:55 AM6/20/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Max
Agreed. Golangide -- a.k.a LiteIDE -- is outstanding.

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:51:38 AM UTC-4, André Moraes wrote:
https://code.google.com/p/golangide/

Andrew

Jun 20, 2012, 1:08:51 PM6/20/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, Max
not quite sure that liteide ( aka goide) has the code navigation. And i still having trouble getting a drop downs with the list of parameters shown for functions.
There is also a plugin to Eclipse. And here you can find some list of available IDEs too

Let me know what worked for you - i'm in the similar situation.
AZ

Max

Jun 20, 2012, 2:42:25 PM6/20/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Outline are number #1. So GoSublime is not an option right now.

I have seen goclipse and GoWorks for NetBeans but after trialing Go for InteliJ that completely failed to work I am very happy that I was advised to use liteide.

GoIde(liteIde) is very good!
It does exactly what I need except of killing programs process.
I have to kill process from task manager. (red button in ide does not work)

AST View - Outline is what I need!

Graham Anderson

Jun 20, 2012, 6:54:51 PM6/20/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday 20 Jun 2012 07:14:55 Adam Crossland wrote:
> Agreed. Golangide -- a.k.a LiteIDE -- is outstanding.

Let's not get carried away.

* The editor is terrible, it's a crap subset of Kate that has only assumed
visual parts and no functional editing parts.
* The project features have apparently never worked
* The AST view is cute but you can only use it to open files.
* The GDB features have never worked because you cant step into, over or out
of call points in the files because the editor is broken.

I like that someone had an itch to scratch, but using kate to make a shitter
version of kate doesn't seem like something we should celebrate.

signature.asc

Rodrigo Moraes

Jun 20, 2012, 9:10:16 PM6/20/12
to golang-nuts
On Jun 20, 9:50 pm, Joshua Marsh wrote:
> I use Emacs with go-mode, abbrev-mode, and ECB. They'd handle all of your
> requirements below, but you'd be taking sides in a flame war. :)

I use jEdit with Go syntax highlighting and that's all. I don't
recommend it to anybody but I love it! Haha. Seriously.

-- rodrigo

JussiJ

Jun 20, 2012, 11:41:17 PM6/20/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:50:31 AM UTC-7, Max wrote:

> Please recommend IDE for Golang

Please excuse my long post.

I am the author of the Zeus IDE and for several releases now the
support for Go in Zeus has been steadily improving.

Zeus does the standard syntax highlighting, class browsing, code folding,
smart indenting etc. It also some level of debugger support using gdb as
seen in this short YoutTude video:

    http://youtu.be/84i7H-E0YUM

The latest Zeus beta adds integration with gocode autocomplete:

    http://www.zeusedit.com/zforum/viewtopic.php?t=6670

For anyone that is interested the latest Zeus IDE Beta 11 is found here:

    http://www.zeusedit.com/z300/zeus-beta.zip

NOTE: Zeus is shareware, not open source, runs natively on the Windows
platform and can be run on Linux using Wine.

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus Editor

Russel Winder

Jun 21, 2012, 2:49:33 AM6/21/12
to Graham Anderson, golan...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 00:54 +0200, Graham Anderson wrote:
[…]
> * The editor is terrible, it's a crap subset of Kate that has only assumed
> visual parts and no functional editing parts.

And, sadly, font management seems to be broken on Debian Unstable. The
editor, indeed the whole of LiteIDE, uses some random fonts at very
large size when it should be using the system defined fonts or providing
a font selection dialog – which I couldn't find, but this may just me
not looking hard enough.

[…]
> I like that someone had an itch to scratch, but using kate to make a shitter
> version of kate doesn't seem like something we should celebrate.

Most programmers out there use one or more of Visual Studio, Eclipse,
IntelliJ IDEA, NetBeans, VIM, Emacs, Code::Blocks, TextMate,
TextWrangler for programming. I would have thought ensuring good support
for them was a better use of resources than trying to create a Go
specific system. Not only is there more infrastructure (technical
argument), there is more chance of infecting people with Go (guerilla
marketing argument). On the other hand, apart from the core Google
folks, effort here is volunteer, so people do as they wish.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel...@ekiga.net

André Moraes

Jun 21, 2012, 8:54:44 AM6/21/12
to Russel Winder, Graham Anderson, golan...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 3:49 AM, Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 00:54 +0200, Graham Anderson wrote:
> […]
>> * The editor is terrible, it's a crap subset of Kate that has only assumed
>> visual parts and no functional editing parts.
>
> And, sadly, font management seems to be broken on Debian Unstable. The
> editor, indeed the whole of LiteIDE, uses some random fonts at very
> large size when it should be using the system defined fonts or providing
> a font selection dialog – which I couldn't find, but this may just me
> not looking hard enough.

When I recommended the LiteIDE I didn't want to start a long
discussion, but I really don't use that IDE I did experimented with it
a few times though.

My IDE is just a terminal with an editor and a browser, you really
don't need much more than that to program in go.

Terminal:
go <name your command> ./...
Execute the command in the current package and sub-packages
find / grep
Search for text in files
git or hg
DVCS
godoc -http :6060
Doc for all packages installed

Editor:
vim / gedit depending on the task

Browser
http://localhost:6060

I don't use GDB since most of the time println is enough, unlike other
languages, in Go, most of my time goes to programming and not to
debugging

visual fc

Jun 21, 2012, 9:30:43 AM6/21/12
to golang-nuts
LiteIDE version now x12. http://code.google.com/p/golangide/downloads/list
Project Load : Package Browser or Import <gopath> project.
Debug : need open project

2012/6/21 André Moraes <and...@gmail.com>:
liteidex12-ubuntu.png

Russel Winder

Jun 21, 2012, 11:51:45 AM6/21/12
to André Moraes, Graham Anderson, golan...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 09:54 -0300, André Moraes wrote:
[…]

> My IDE is just a terminal with an editor and a browser, you really
> don't need much more than that to program in go.

It is actually an interesting, and non-trivial, issue as to whether
editor/command line or full IDE are better. As well as personal
history/preference/prejudice, there are per-task, per-language and
per-context issues. People who stick rigidly to one and only one
development environment are generally short changing themselves in terms
of using the right tool for the right job.

> Terminal:
> go <name your command> ./...
> Execute the command in the current package and sub-packages
> find / grep
> Search for text in files
> git or hg
> DVCS

Or Bazaar.

> godoc -http :6060
> Doc for all packages installed
>
> Editor:
> vim / gedit depending on the task

What no mention of Emacs "the one true editor… and kitchen sink"

> Browser
> http://localhost:6060
>
> I don't use GDB since most of the time println is enough, unlike other
> languages, in Go, most of my time goes to programming and not to
> debugging

I think the combination of proper strong typing and TDD generally cuts
the amount of debugging that needs something other than a quick state
probe to very little. This is though where I do like IDEs. Taking
Python as the example, I usually use Emacs and command line. However
when doing serious debugging I always use Eclipse/PyDev or PyCharm
simply to get break points and state probes without having to edit the
source. Thus, for me, Emacs and command line is the normal Go tool but
I would like a really good plugin for Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA to
support debugging.
signature.asc

André Moraes

Jun 21, 2012, 12:29:51 PM6/21/12
to Russel Winder, golan...@googlegroups.com

>> My IDE is just a terminal with an editor and a browser, you really
>> don't need much more than that to program in go.
>
> It is actually an interesting, and non-trivial, issue as to whether
> editor/command line or full IDE are better. As well as personal
> history/preference/prejudice, there are per-task, per-language and
> per-context issues.  People who stick rigidly to one and only one
> development environment are generally short changing themselves in terms
> of using the right tool for the right job.

Agreed, for Go I just use those tools but for C++ I use QtCreator. My
point is that things in Go are so simple that I don't need a full IDE.

>> git or hg
>>   DVCS
>
> Or Bazaar.

Or SVN, darcs, monotone, CVS. :)

>> godoc -http :6060
>>   Doc for all packages installed
>>
>> Editor:
>> vim / gedit depending on the task
>
> What no mention of Emacs "the one true editor… and kitchen sink"

Flamewar alert. :)

> source.  Thus, for me, Emacs and command line is the normal Go tool but
> I would like a really good plugin for Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA to
> support debugging.

The very few times I had to use Go + GDB, LiteIDE worked very well.

Jeremy Wall

Jun 21, 2012, 12:34:42 PM6/21/12
to André Moraes, Russel Winder, golan...@googlegroups.com
If you use Emacs or Vim the Gocode autocompletion daemon has excellent
Autocomplete support.

go get github.com/nsf/gocode

See the github page for how to hook it into your editor.

sesteel

Jun 21, 2012, 12:38:24 PM6/21/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, André Moraes, Graham Anderson

On Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:51:45 AM UTC-6, Russel Winder wrote:
On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 09:54 -0300, André Moraes wrote:
[…]

> My IDE is just a terminal with an editor and a browser, you really
> don't need much more than that to program in go.

It is actually an interesting, and non-trivial, issue as to whether
editor/command line or full IDE are better. As well as personal
history/preference/prejudice, there are per-task, per-language and
per-context issues.  People who stick rigidly to one and only one
development environment are generally short changing themselves in terms
of using the right tool for the right job.

I am one of the principle authors of the GoClipse plugin for Eclipse.  I don't really spend a lot of time on the plug-in as I am more interested in spending my free time developing with the Go language rather than Java.  I personally feel any and all tool support for Go is important and I'm more than happy to see Netbeans, IntelliJ, etc projects move forward and advance.  I would like to be able to use Go professionally, but I cannot expect a bunch of Java devs to leave the their comfy confines without equivalent IDE/tool support.  Building tools that feel familiar is important to breaking down barriers to the adoption of Go.  To that end, I am always willing to consider patches that help improve GoClipse.  I think every patch submitted to date has been accepted in some form or another.  Hopefully, at some point GoClipse and all the other IDEs/tools will advance to the point of not being a limiting factor to adoption.  I think this is important and wish more people were involved.  I also wish Google paid me to develop GoClipse full time, but that will never happen.

Graham Anderson

Jun 22, 2012, 6:06:57 PM6/22/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday 21 Jun 2012 07:49:33 Russel Winder wrote:
> Most programmers out there use one or more of Visual Studio, Eclipse,
> IntelliJ IDEA, NetBeans, VIM, Emacs, Code::Blocks, TextMate,
> TextWrangler for programming. I would have thought ensuring good support
> for them was a better use of resources than trying to create a Go
> specific system.

Yep, and given the choice of toolit and editor libs, making it a plugin for
KDevelop or QtCreator might have been a more attractive option as far as I'm
concerned; full blown Kate part has vi mode and I still occasionally have to
fight with c++.

Offtopic, KDevelop has some quite nice features for larger codebases, even for
C hackers. KDevelop DUChain is quite memory intensive but is really cute when
it's used well in the editor.

http://video.linux.com/videos/kernel-browsing-and-hacking-using-kdevelop

On the other hand perhaps there's just not that many C++ hackers interested in
Go right now so a QtCreator or KDevelop plugin might be work wasted.
Additionally you then have work against an even more tangled mess of C++.
Which is increasing hard to stomach after writing go.

Maybe LiteIDE can find a happy balance, but while it rejects to use the
already mature features of Kate editor in favour of a cut down version I'll
still reach for vim and kate.

Cheers the noo,

Kyle Lemons

Jun 22, 2012, 8:32:23 PM6/22/12
to qq510...@gmail.com, golan...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 7:58 PM, <qq510...@gmail.com> wrote:
IMHO, a powerful ide(such as visual studio,xcode) is extremely important for developers especially those 3rd party developers. If go want to become a mainstream language and be widely used in large commercial project(not only used by personal development), ide is indispensable.

Anecdotally, that seems to not be the case for Go.  At the #gosf meetup last night, for instance, a comfortable majority of the attendees (I'll admit to not having counted) seem to have favored a command-line editor (with screen and/or tmux in many cases, I assume) over an IDE.  I believe that when compared to Java especially, the (lack of) size of the standard library and the relative ease of using tools like godoc (and godoc -src!) make having an IDE much less important.  In Java, Eclipse is practically a necessity because of all of the bookkeeping involved with day-to-day coding, but I find myself able to do the equivalent refactoring in Go with nothing more than a sed-style replacement.

benn

Jun 22, 2012, 10:15:07 PM6/22/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Excuse my inexperience but I believe the push for an IDE specifically for Go or great IDE support for Go, while it may not be in the interest of the majority current Go developers, is to attract more/new developers to use this language. Personally, my programming background is with Java and I've been spoilt with using an easy-to-use/powerful(imo) IDE Eclipse. I've not found it too hard adapting but I do admit to being one of those spoilt by having been only exposed to programming in an IDE.

Russel Winder

Jun 23, 2012, 1:34:50 AM6/23/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 2012-06-22 at 17:32 -0700, Kyle Lemons wrote:
[...]
> Anecdotally, that seems to not be the case for Go. At the #gosf meetup
> last night, for instance, a comfortable majority of the attendees (I'll
> admit to not having counted) seem to have favored a command-line editor
> (with screen and/or tmux in many cases, I assume) over an IDE. I believe
> that when compared to Java especially, the (lack of) size of the standard
> library and the relative ease of using tools like godoc (and godoc -src!)
> make having an IDE much less important. In Java, Eclipse is practically a
> necessity because of all of the bookkeeping involved with day-to-day
> coding, but I find myself able to do the equivalent refactoring in Go with
> nothing more than a sed-style replacement.

Current Go developers, especially those that get to the meetings, are a
self-selecting group of very early adopters. Such a group is almost
completely different from the majority of programmers, who have to be
the marketing target. From my training perspective I see that the
average Java, Groovy, C++ and even Python developers nigh on refuse to
work unless they have an IDE. The fact that they might be better served
using a good editor (Emacs in my case) and a command line terminal –
especially for languages like Python, which the overall tooling of Go is
most like just now – doesn't work for these people. They ask for
Eclipse/PyDev, PyCharm, Komodo, WingIDE, BoaConstructor, SPE, etc.

Even though Go/GoDoc looks like Python/PyDoc, this is just a small
"angle" in the reason for developers wanting a single viewport on the
world. Integration of the CI, debugging, editing, browsing all the
GitHub, BitBucket and Launchpad Go packages (which is far more important
than the standard library as far as UX is concerned), managing
integration and system testing as well as unit testing. If you look at
Java and Groovy programmer behaviours they use Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA,
NetBeans, because of the integration not because of the editor (which is
most cases is far inferior to Emacs, VIM, etc.).

I argue therefore that the core Go team should be looking to support
development of Go IDEs, not necessarily by working on them themselves,
but by interacting in a positive way with IDE developers to ensure the
results are top quality.

At one extreme there is C and C++ which are evolved with essentially
zero reference to programmer usage. At the other extreme you have Kotlin
being developed within the context of IntelliJ IDEA usage. Languages
like Python, Ruby, and I suggest Go, should be evolved to work in
harmony with the tools the average programmer believes they need to use.
Some of the biggest problems in Groovy evolution relate to Eclipse and
IntelliJ IDEA. By introducing some changes into the language to support
the IDEs, the ability of the IDE to support programmer productivity
increased in leaps and bounds. Moreover the take up of the language also
dramatically increased.

Whatever the initial reasons for the development of Go, the language
must now either enter the mainstream or be forever a niche language.
These days mainstream means IDE integrated.
signature.asc

DisposaBoy

Jun 23, 2012, 2:31:49 AM6/23/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, June 23, 2012 6:34:50 AM UTC+1, Russel Winder wrote:
[...] By introducing some changes into the language to support

the IDEs, the ability of the IDE to support programmer productivity
increased in leaps and bounds. [...]

Do you believe Go is lacking in this area?

As far as I can see, it's not. As a big fan of IntelliJ IDEs I can tell you that I've tried a lot of other IDEs and editors and nothing, especially not anything Eclipse-based comes close... but I don't use it any longer because it's a pain to use. That forced me to evaluate what it is I actually got out of it. My conclusions were: a great editing environment and very useful tools. They just happen to be packaged well together. So far, after years of searching, I believe I've found the editor in Sublime Text 2 and I'm slowly working on the tool integration. I don't think any input from the Go devs, (while very welcome and encouraging) would be very useful unless they were potential users themselves. That kind of feedback only leads to what I perceive as the biggest flaw in the design of most IDEs that I've used: they're targeted at the masses, i.e they don't tend to solve any one thing very well.

si guy

Jun 23, 2012, 4:58:25 AM6/23/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I'm probably making a mistake by saying this here but am I the only person who would like to see go in visual studio?(dons fireproof troll-armor) After all C#.net is pretty huge, and go plays well with it, surprisingly well in fact.

si guy

Jun 23, 2012, 5:02:53 AM6/23/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, June 22, 2012 11:31:49 PM UTC-7, DisposaBoy wrote:
So far, after years of searching, I believe I've found the editor in Sublime Text 2 and I'm slowly working on the tool integration. I don't think any input from the Go devs, (while very welcome and encouraging) would be very useful unless they were potential users themselves. That kind of feedback only leads to what I perceive as the biggest flaw in the design of most IDEs that I've used: they're targeted at the masses, i.e they don't tend to solve any one thing very well.

I use sublimetext2 with your plugins on a daily basis and they are absolutely wonderful. Lint is a little touchy sometimes(on windows, always fine on *nix), but it's probably the tool I use the least (syntax errors are pretty easy to avoid in go).

DisposaBoy

Jun 23, 2012, 7:15:10 AM6/23/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
There shouldn't be any difference between platforms. Perhaps file a bug report?

Johnson

Jun 23, 2012, 9:36:47 AM6/23/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
i use sublimetext2 with gosublime, it's excellent. if there's no code outline plugin already, can't you just make one in python?

DisposaBoy

Jun 23, 2012, 12:16:36 PM6/23/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, June 23, 2012 2:36:47 PM UTC+1, Johnson wrote:
i use sublimetext2 with gosublime, it's excellent. if there's no code outline plugin already, can't you just make one in python?

it does, to a certain extent. File a bug report and we can discuss it further there.

JussiJ

Jun 24, 2012, 6:40:51 AM6/24/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:41:17 PM UTC-7, JussiJ wrote:

>> The latest Zeus beta adds integration with gocode autocomplete:

The Zeus for Windows IDE is now out of beta with the release of
the latest 3.97m version.

    http://www.zeusedit.com/

This release has support for  Go syhntax highlighting, code folding,
class browsing and autocompletion.

This version also has support for the Go Build, Run and Format commands
and also works with gocode autocomplete.

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows IDE

Max

Jun 24, 2012, 6:44:00 AM6/24/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I am not so happy with GoIDE/LiteIDE now

It does not handle idents as expected.
There is no auto format.

I am still using GoIDE

visual fc

Jun 24, 2012, 7:48:16 AM6/24/12
2012/6/24 Max <max.se...@gmail.com>:
> I am not so happy with GoIDE/LiteIDE now
>
> It does not handle idents as expected.
> There is no auto format.

liteidex12 if diff on PATH, enable save and auto format .(use gofmt -d)
liteidex12_format.PNG

steve wang

Jun 24, 2012, 11:03:13 AM6/24/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
In my LiteIDE of version X12, the cursor sometimes disappears. And the button "gofmt" does not work.

visual fc

Jun 24, 2012, 8:18:21 PM6/24/12
to steve wang, golan...@googlegroups.com
2012/6/24 steve wang <steve....@gmail.com>:
> In my LiteIDE of version X12, the cursor sometimes disappears. And the
> button "gofmt" does not work.

Qt QPlaintText cursor sometimes disappears, the input method reason,
example google input method.

gofmt enable,need find gnu diff on PATH ( this is use gofmt -d).

Chris Broadfoot

Jun 25, 2012, 12:14:36 AM6/25/12
to maste...@gmail.com, golan...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM, <maste...@gmail.com> wrote:
An (pretty)IDE that has equivalent or more functionality to eclipse/visual studio which i can use to write Go.

You imply that you are a representative sample of younger programmers - I consider myself a "younger programmer," and I disagree with many of your assertions. When I started writing Go programs, I was pleased that existing and familiar tools worked well to develop Go programs.

Working with Go is straightforward, and it was absolutely refreshing that I could spend more time writing code and understanding how the language works, instead of figuring out how to manage needless complexity.

While there are some excellent IDEs out there for some languages, many were born out of necessity to manage complex code bases (and to some extent, build processes). It would be very nice to have something similar for Go, I agree, but it's a solution looking for a problem - and one that would take some time to solve (not by the core Go team).

Chris

gauravk

Jun 25, 2012, 12:36:14 AM6/25/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
+1
As someone who has to suffer complex IBM IDE / tools at work everyday. I believe Go is very pleasant to work as compared IDE dependent languages like Java / C# etc. I think Eclipse type IDEs for Go could be productivity killer.

-Gaurav

On Monday, June 25, 2012 12:14:36 AM UTC-4, Chris Broadfoot wrote:
On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM, <ma..@gmail.com> wrote:
An (pretty)IDE that has equivalent or more functionality to eclipse/visual studio which i can use to write Go.

Working with Go is straightforward, and it was absolutely refreshing that I could spend more time writing code and understanding how the language works, instead of figuring out how to manage needless complexity.
Chris

JussiJ

Jun 25, 2012, 12:40:50 AM6/25/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com, maste...@gmail.com

On Sunday, June 24, 2012 9:14:36 PM UTC-7, Chris Broadfoot wrote:

> getting into Go is pretty tough.

I think Go is one of the simplest compiled languages out there.

To get started with go only needs three commands:

    go build
    go run
    go fmt

There are no make files, no object files, no compiler switches,
no linker, no libraries, just three simple commands.

> An (pretty)IDE that has equivalent or more functionality
> to eclipse/visual studio which i can use to write Go.

Go is so easy to code you really don't need an IDE.

If you look at a visual studio C/C++ project for example. Inside
that project there are literaly hundreds of compiler, linker
and library options.

Go eliminates all of that build complexity.

> It should take no hassle to install whatsoever.

I can't speak for Linux but on Windows is is very easy to install:

    http://code.google.com/p/go/downloads/list

If you use one of the msi installer it is even easier since the
installer sets up the Go environment variables for you.

> Preferably don't even have to type a single line in CMD or Terminal.
> Lot's of tutorials. (Go has this)

Any editor that can run a command line and capture the output can be
easily configured to do this.

> So then when people start talking about vim and emacs, i tend to sigh.

But IMHO this is only because you don't understand tools like vim
and emacs. The power of these tools is they are IDEs in there own
right but they have one big advantage over 'real IDEs' in the fact
they are not tied to any one programming language.

Cheers Jussi

kortschak

Jun 25, 2012, 1:02:32 AM6/25/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Your comment has made me have a look at ST2 with GoSublime (coming from vim) and it looks like the kind of thing I could use.

I've installed GoSublime via Package Control and then MarGo (gocode already present for vim), but each time ST2 starts it tells me GoSublime update to r12.06.17-1 with an option to go get the already up-to-date dependencies. How do I quieten this?

thanks
Dan

DisposaBoy

Jun 25, 2012, 1:42:44 AM6/25/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, June 25, 2012 6:02:32 AM UTC+1, kortschak wrote:
Your comment has made me have a look at ST2 with GoSublime (coming from vim) and it looks like the kind of thing I could use.

I've installed GoSublime via Package Control and then MarGo (gocode already present for vim), but each time ST2 starts it tells me GoSublime update to r12.06.17-1 with an option to go get the already up-to-date dependencies. How do I quieten this?

thanks
Dan

I added a point to the issue tracker that should hopefully answer you: https://github.com/DisposaBoy/GoSublime/issues/44

kortschak

Jun 25, 2012, 1:55:53 AM6/25/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
OK, likely cause is that gocode is installed system-wide and so go get -u gocode failed, so I did go got MarGo and gocode via ST2 as root. Running ST2 as root doesn't complain. Obviously, my user instance isn't aware of the system wide update status.

You want that posted to the issue?

thanks
Dan

Abiola Ibrahim

Jun 25, 2012, 3:19:05 AM6/25/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I don't totally agree with you. I am also a student and I don't really see the need for a big IDE for Go. I've tried virtually every IDE available for Go but I always fall back to gedit with go-gedit plugin available here https://bitbucket.org/fzzbt/go-gedit-plugin. On Windows I use SublimeText2. Everything you need is available with the easy to use go command.

On Sunday, 24 June 2012 20:12:31 UTC+1, maste...@gmail.com wrote:
I very much agree to all of this.

As a student(20 years old) who's being teached to use big IDE's(Eclipse, netbeans, visual studio) getting into Go is pretty tough.
Mind you, we mostly just use windows, maybe have touched ubuntu for a few lessons and that's it.

So what I (or any other student around my age for that matter) expect from a programming language:

An (pretty)IDE that has equivalent or more functionality to eclipse/visual studio which i can use to write Go.
It should take no hassle to install whatsoever.
Preferably don't even have to type a single line in CMD or Terminal.
Lot's of tutorials. (Go has this)

Also what tends to be forgotten very quickly, the IDE should be good looking, a good looking IDE just makes the work you are doing more interesting.
So then when people start talking about vim and emacs, i tend to sigh. The stuff looks like it runs from a floppy disk( Apologies if this offends anyone ).

So i guess what i'm trying to say is:

Most younger programmers just expect a lot and are really spoiled, using tools that have anything less then what they normally use and they become demotivated really quickly.
So what might be a good tool for you guys doesn't mean it's good for other less experienced developers.

Hope this gives a little insight how younger developers look at new stuff.

I myself actually really like the GoClipse plugin for eclipse, it REALLY is a shame Google doesn't just pay the guy(sesteel in this case) to finish it.
I guess i'l look at the other IDE's mentioned in this thread, some look interesting.

DisposaBoy

Jun 25, 2012, 5:14:01 AM6/25/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
it'll probably help to post a comment so I at least remember to look into it. thanks.

Kosztka Imre Dávid

Jun 25, 2012, 5:50:20 PM6/25/12
to maste...@gmail.com, golan...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

What I would like to have are the following things:
-hotkey for running the tests
-syntax check while you type
-jump to definition
-content assist
-refactor possibilites
In this order. I don't know how we should call a tool like this IDE/Text editor.

Bye!

--
Name : Kosztka Imre Dávid
E-mail: kosz...@gmail.com

Chris Broadfoot

Jun 25, 2012, 5:53:57 PM6/25/12
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:30 AM, <maste...@gmail.com> wrote:
I believe a programmer should be able to choose what they prefer to use

Exactly. It's a very good thing that any IDE that isn't tied to a particular language should work well with Go.

Chris

Andrew

Jun 27, 2012, 10:26:17 AM6/27/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Max,
 i played for a few days with Sublime and LiteIDE.
 I really enjoying Sublime probably i'm more of "keyboard guy" vs "mouse guy". Plus it's just not intrusive during coding. Unfortunnately i was not able to get the GDB extension to work. Or at least i don't understand the information it reports.

So my current setup is - coding in Sublime and if there is a need for gdb debugging -  open the file in LiteIde and debug there.
I really wish to just stick to one project. but time will tell...
Cheers.
AZ

Jaybill McCarthy

Jun 27, 2012, 11:15:57 AM6/27/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I just discovered Sublime 2 + GoSublime, and I have to agree with you that it's pretty great and just "gets out of your way". LiteIDE "knows more about Go", but I found that switching between packages or locating/editing things that weren't go files really cumbersome.

Adam Crossland

Jun 29, 2012, 12:50:05 PM6/29/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I do a great deal of Python programming, and I'd go insane without Wing IDE. The integrated, source-level debugging, the debugging prompt and code intelligence features greatly increase my productivity.

On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:39:33 PM UTC-4, Nebojša Đorđević wrote:
On Saturday, June 23, 2012 7:34:50 AM UTC+2, Russel Winder wrote:
the marketing target.  From my training perspective I see that the
average Java, Groovy, C++ and even Python developers nigh on refuse to
work unless they have an IDE. The fact that they might be better served
using a good editor (Emacs in my case) and a command line terminal –
especially for languages like Python, which the overall tooling of Go is
most like just now – doesn't work for these people. They ask for
Eclipse/PyDev, PyCharm, Komodo, WingIDE, BoaConstructor, SPE, etc.

I can understand Java and C++ crowd (and any make/depend/compile/whatever language user), language but Python users!? I'm yet to meet Python user who uses anything above good editor (vim, emacs, TextMate, Sublime, ...). My standard toolchain is terminal window, TextMate and SourceTree and that beats any of the IDEs I tried to use.

Russel Winder

Jun 29, 2012, 1:46:43 PM6/29/12
to Adam Crossland, golan...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 2012-06-29 at 09:50 -0700, Adam Crossland wrote:
> I do a great deal of Python programming, and I'd go insane without Wing
> IDE. The integrated, source-level debugging, the debugging prompt and code
> intelligence features greatly increase my productivity.

Those using Komodo or Eclipse/PyDev would undoubtedly say the same about
those systems. It's not the creating of the code that is the reason for
the usefulness of IDEs, Emacs, VIM, etc. are generally far better
editors than those in the IDEs, it is when analysing executing code that
the IDEs are invaluable.
signature.asc

Max

Jun 30, 2012, 8:03:52 AM6/30/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Today I installed GoSublime
GoSublime was easy to setup

I can't find the way to open one file in two views.

Is that possible to do with GoSublime ?

DisposaBoy

Jun 30, 2012, 8:15:58 AM6/30/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I think you mean Sublime Text as opposed to  GoSublime and if I understood you correctly: yes. the menu `File > New view into File` splits the current view in two and you can then drag it to other pane, etc.

Max

Jun 30, 2012, 8:43:54 AM6/30/12
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I have installed GoSublime plugin
Thank You for sharing it

I could not find new view in menu
I spent some time to find it before asking for help

Peter Bourgon

Jun 30, 2012, 8:53:16 AM6/30/12
to Max, golan...@googlegroups.com
I think you might want: View > Layout > Columns: 2

Igor Shuvalov

Nov 26, 2013, 3:40:17 AM11/26/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com

j...@langevin.me

Nov 26, 2013, 10:01:40 AM11/26/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Igor linked to the voting thread, where users are petitioning Jetbrains to create a dedicated Go IDE.
Jetbrains has created a variety of excellent IDEs, such as IDEA, RubyMine, PHPStorm, WebStorm, etc, and would be the best candidate for a strong Go IDE.

Really, if Jetbrains isn't convinced that there's enough of a community to support development of a Go IDE, I'm hoping we can alternatively convince them to start a Kickstarter for the project, as I'd gladly contribute to get development funded.

Please do vote!  http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEABKL-5938

Jeff Mitchell

Nov 26, 2013, 12:03:58 PM11/26/13
to j...@langevin.me, golan...@googlegroups.com
It's unclear who on that thread is part of JetBrains or not, but it sounds like they have some weird metrics for determining whether something is worth their time:
"Go needs a compiler creating executables that run significant faster than Java. Google's Go compiler cannot make a significant difference in runtime performance to Java so far. Given this situation I don't see a selling point for Go."

As we all know, there is no use for Go other than a faster Java.

Then:
Also, the Go GC runs out of memory very early (see the Google Havlak benchmark).

As we all know, the Havlak benchmark is the pinnacle of excellent benchmarking practices. Those who have followed its development and Go's development know that Go just gets further and further behind.

If this is indicative of JetBrains' attitude, I'd put the chances at "not great".

j...@langevin.me

Nov 26, 2013, 12:08:50 PM11/26/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com, j...@langevin.me
Dmitry Jemerov is the only person in that thread that is a part of Jetbrains dev group. Other off-the-wall responses are just uninformed users.
The only relevant response(s) from Jetbrains (via Dmitry) are that Go's community is too small currently.

linux...@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2013, 12:40:25 PM11/26/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Shake hands! I use jEdit extensively for 10 years.

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:10:16 PM UTC-7, Rodrigo Moraes wrote:
On Jun 20, 9:50 pm, Joshua Marsh wrote:
> I use Emacs with go-mode, abbrev-mode, and ECB. They'd handle all of your
> requirements below, but you'd be taking sides in a flame war. :)

I use jEdit with Go syntax highlighting and that's all. I don't
recommend it to anybody but I love it! Haha. Seriously.

-- rodrigo

Igor Shuvalov

Nov 26, 2013, 12:50:56 PM11/26/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com, j...@langevin.me
Dmitry Jemerov now works at google =)

j...@langevin.me

Nov 26, 2013, 12:54:54 PM11/26/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com, j...@langevin.me
Ah, interesting. His last day w/ Jetbrains was Nov 14 per his twitter.
Nice catch.

Hopefully that ends up working in our favor somehow...

Dennis Suratna

Nov 26, 2013, 7:27:23 PM11/26/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Hey Max,

I wrote a guide on how to set up the latest intellij EAP with GO

Let me know if you have any questions

Dennis

Jian Zhen

Nov 26, 2013, 9:53:06 PM11/26/13
to Dennis Suratna, golang-nuts
The Go plugin for Idea works for the CE (Community Edition) as well. I have been using the CE 13.0 beta for a while now with the Go plugin (until I moved to TextMate very recently). There are some issues but overall usable.

Igor Shuvalov

Nov 27, 2013, 12:48:26 AM11/27/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com, j...@langevin.me
I think that to some degree the lack of powerful IDE itself constrains the growth of community

Tamás Gulácsi

Nov 27, 2013, 1:27:19 AM11/27/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday I've been on a Code Management Workshop, where they presented some very sophisticated event-based-backwards debugging tools. For Java.
I hope there will be a language which needs no such sophisticated tools, as the language forces simple, obviously error-free code.
I think Go is several steps in that direction.

(For my daily work, I'm using Oracle PL/SQL - a very simple, Ada-like imperative language, with very few features. The biggest culprit of code is the usage of global variables, and to have not stepping / stepping not the required variable (this results in obvious error, or infinite loop).
Everybody is forced to the same simple code style, and has to use the same language with the same set of features - thus everybody can read everybody else's code.
And some syntax coloring is enough for seeing the structure.)

I've grown to respect language simplicity and One True Style.

Bienlein

Nov 27, 2013, 1:52:26 AM11/27/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com

Am Mittwoch, 20. Juni 2012 14:50:31 UTC+2 schrieb Max:
Please recommend IDE for Golang
I wish IDE to show list of classes and when I click on class I wish to see list of methods and fields.

And most of all the IntelliJ Go IDE would need a debugger. Please make comments asking for an integrated debugger when you vote for that feature request. Thanks!

jac...@moonman.biz

May 25, 2014, 2:31:30 PM5/25/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I feel compelled to make the comment that I personally like Eclipse. Perhaps part of it is just the fact that I got started on Eclipse in college. It supported all of the coursework at the time (C, C++, Java) except for the .NET languages. When I got out of school, I continued to use it happily, including when I was presented Go and the goclipse plugin was available.

In the last six months, however, I realized that the goclipse plugin was somewhat aged, and that bugs were starting to appear with newer operating systems, newer versions of Go, and newer versions of Eclipse. Since goclipse was developed, Eclipse has changed their plugin API/SDK considerably. Consequently, I am hesitant to try to debug goclipse until it's been pulled forward into the present Eclipse world. I don't really have the time or motivation to do this.

On the other hand, I have become interested in emacs for the simple fact that I can use it in the console (over SSH/mosh) without restriction. In addition, it supports all of the languages I care to use. I am also a mouse-hater, so I am very much turned on by the fact that the mouse is a minor priority for emacs. At this point, the only reason I have X installed at all is for the web browser. If I were to have a complaint about emacs, it would be the (IMHO) unnecessary complexity. I'd rather have complexity because it's easy to extend, however, than complexity for complexity's sake, which is what I see with Eclipse.

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:50:31 AM UTC-6, Max wrote:
Please recommend IDE for Golang
I wish IDE to show list of classes and when I click on class I wish to see list of methods and fields.

mrek...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2014, 5:18:05 AM9/25/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
You and other guys can support creating of official JetBrains Golang plugin/IDE by voting: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEABKL-5938
Please don't take this as a spam.

Calin Martinconi

Sep 26, 2014, 2:55:18 AM9/26/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com, max.se...@gmail.com
Hi,

If you want to use Intellij take the plugin from the Github project.
I tried with the plugin from the Intellij repositories but it seems that is an old one and it is not working properly.
I took the plugin from August I think, from the plugin's github project, install it and all things are working very smooth for me.

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Max <> wrote:
> Please recommend IDE for Golang
> I wish IDE to show list of classes and when I click on class I wish to see
> list of methods and fields.
> I wish to navigate code faster and see its structure
> Such functionality is common for Java and C++
> Code completion is good as it ensures that method is already implemented.

--
André Moraes
http://amoraes.info

mrek...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2014, 4:33:40 AM9/26/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com, max.se...@gmail.com
Hi,

thank you for the hint. I've been using this plugin now for six months and I'm updating it quite often.
This plugin is definitely making a progress, but in my opinion is still very immature.
Compare this plugin with Dart plugin or even with the new upcoming clion C/C++ IDE.
I don't blame the developers of this plugin, they do a great job, but it's still a hobby project and a lot of
things are not implemented or not working (and we don't know yet when they will be implemented or fixed).
I think we need a serious plugin/IDE backed by JetBrains. So please, if you are interested, vote for it.

Thank you,

P.

Daniel Skinner

Sep 26, 2014, 10:24:54 AM9/26/14
to mrek...@gmail.com, golang-nuts, max.se...@gmail.com
Agreed, I occasionally review the plugin and always get bitten by type inference issues: https://github.com/go-lang-plugin-org/go-lang-idea-plugin/labels/type%20inference

Looks as though those are being actively worked on now. Still, having a complete plugin for intellij would be desireable for general development and particularly for installation in Android Studio considering the direction go.mobile is going for projects that mix java and go.

JussiJ

Sep 26, 2014, 8:39:29 PM9/26/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:50:31 PM UTC+10, Max wrote:
Please recommend IDE for Golang

The Zeus IDE supports Go: http://www.zeusedit.com/go.html

NOTE: Zeus is shareware, runs natively on Windows and runs on Linux and Mac OSX using Wine.

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus IDE