Go 1.5 Beta 3 is released

Andrew Gerrand

Jul 29, 2015, 9:03:13 PM7/29/15
to golang-nuts
Hi Go nuts,

We have just released go1.5beta3, a beta version of Go 1.5.
It is cut from the master branch at the revision tagged go1.5beta3.

Please help us by testing your Go programs with the release, and report any problems using the issue tracker:

You can download binary and source distributions from the usual place:

To find out what has changed in Go 1.5, read the release notes:

Documentation for Go 1.5 is available at:

We think this is pretty close to Go 1.5 Release Candidate 1, which we hope to issue next week.
The final version of Go 1.5 should be out by mid-August.

Andrew

David Leimbach

Jul 30, 2015, 10:16:13 AM7/30/15
to golang-nuts, a...@google.com
I am unsure what I'm doing wrong at this point.

I can cross-build on go1.4.2 from Linux to FreeBSD ok.  Also on 1.4.2 I can cross-build for linux/arm (raspberry pi).

But in this beta I get weird messages about environment variables that were never set
"go install: cannot install cross-compiled binaries when GOBIN is set:

GOBIN is not set.

Also, is buildmode=shared not supported for anything but linux? That's a complete showstopper for me (we've got a ridiculously tight image to put things on by today's standards on some of our platforms)

David Leimbach

Jul 30, 2015, 10:16:51 AM7/30/15
to golang-nuts, a...@google.com, lei...@gmail.com
I should have mentioned I'm trying to cross build today from OS X.

Fredrik Ehnbom

Jul 30, 2015, 11:10:54 AM7/30/15

Den torsdag 30 juli 2015 kl. 16:16:13 UTC+2 skrev David Leimbach:
Also, is buildmode=shared not supported for anything but linux?

Ian Lance Taylor

Jul 30, 2015, 11:11:24 AM7/30/15
to David Leimbach, golang-nuts, Andrew Gerrand

https://golang.org/issue/11778

> Also, is buildmode=shared not supported for anything but linux? That's a
> complete showstopper for me (we've got a ridiculously tight image to put
> things on by today's standards on some of our platforms)

In this release -buildmode=shared is only supported on amd64 GNU/Linux
(if you can use gccgo it should work for most platforms). It would be
great to have people work on extending the support, but that work
won't go into this release.

Ian

David Leimbach

Jul 30, 2015, 11:18:39 AM7/30/15
to golang-nuts, a...@google.com, ia...@golang.org
Ah, understood.  Well I might even be able to do this at work eventually if someone doesn't beat me to it! :-)

(we have special days set aside for pet projects, but they only occur about 2 times/year)

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Michael Hudson-Doyle

Jul 30, 2015, 4:09:45 PM7/30/15
to Ian Lance Taylor, David Leimbach, golang-nuts, Andrew Gerrand
FWIW, I'll be working on supporting other architectures on Linux early
in 1.6. But not other OSes.

Cheers,
mwh