GO @ Aruba Networks

Anoop K

Nov 22, 2013, 11:34:39 AM11/22/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Go is used in the Aruba Networks ClearPass Access Management System (http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/clearpass/). The ClearPass system is deployed as a cluster of nodes providing various access management services. In the past we have used C++/Java reactor based patterns and python eventlet+ZMQ for writing concurrent network services.

Some of the problems we saw with the existing model:
  • Reactor/callback based concurrency leads to complex code.
  • Dealing with third party libraries that may not provide an asynchronous interface
  • Eventlet+ZMQ (to circumvent GIL) is a hacky alternative and has performance issues. Running multiple process means each of the process need to hold a copy of config, caches and other data structures to process requests. Each of these processes also need to be updated on change.
We were looking for a better alternative and found GO. Following are some of the properties which made GO a good choice for our use cases:
  • Lightweight language with minimal set of concepts.
  • Simple concurrency primitives to efficiently use multiple cores.
  • Compilation speed.
  • Error handling (No exceptions).
  • Low memory usage compared to Java/Python.

Thanks
Anoop

Kevin Gillette

Nov 22, 2013, 5:07:42 PM11/22/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great!

Eric Palmer

Nov 22, 2013, 6:01:20 PM11/22/13
to Anoop K, golan...@googlegroups.com
Anoop,

Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPhone

Adnaan Badr

Nov 22, 2013, 7:29:28 PM11/22/13
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Hey Anoop, by any chance do you work out of the Bangalore office? If yes, it would be great to have someone talk about your product at the local meetup : http://www.meetup.com/Golang-India. We are planning to have another next month.