macOS binaries and installer identifiers are changing

Andrew Bonventre

Nov 26, 2019, 1:40:00 PM11/26/19
to golang-nuts
Hi folks
Per golang.org/issue/35854, on macOS, we are updating our Go package identifier namespace from com.googlecode.* to org.golang.*. If your infrastructure relies on our installer having a specific identifier, you should use the new value starting with 1.13.5 and 1.12.14, which have yet to be released.

In addition, we are updating our binaries to have identifiers as well, primarily to help with logging. Any binaries in the distribution will have the identifier of org.golang.{binary name}. For example, the go command will have the identifier org.golang.go with /pkg/tool/darwin_amd64/compile having the identifier org.golang.compile.

This is a small piece of housekeeping that came up during our efforts to ensure we comply with Apple's notarization requirements. Google Code no longer exists, so it is more appropriate for us to use a more accurate identifier moving forward.

If you have any issues, please comment on the issue linked above.

Thanks,
Andy