The Go Programming Language!

Rajanikanth Jammalamadaka

Mar 5, 2015, 8:17:24 AM3/5/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com

chai2010

Mar 5, 2015, 8:21:07 AM3/5/15
to Rajanikanth Jammalamadaka, golang-nuts, golang中文小组
Cool, I love K&R !

Markus Zimmermann

Mar 5, 2015, 8:26:55 AM3/5/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Am I blind or is the book's title and authors the only information on the book? Where is the table of content and a preview chapter?

peterGo

Mar 5, 2015, 8:53:10 AM3/5/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Markus

Yes.

The Go Programming Language (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series) Paperback – August 27, 2015

This item has not been released yet and is not eligible to be reviewed.

Peter

Daniël de Kok

Mar 5, 2015, 9:24:09 AM3/5/15
to Markus Zimmermann, golan...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Markus Zimmermann <zim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am I blind or is the book's title and authors the only information on the
> book? Where is the table of content and a preview chapter?

There is a table of contents here:

http://www.informit.com/store/go-programming-language-9780134190440

Regardless, this is great news! I love K&R as well.

Kind regards,
Daniël

Kristofer Younger

Mar 5, 2015, 10:41:37 AM3/5/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com
AUGUST!?!?! But I need it now! (with inappropriate whine)

Dave Cheney

Mar 5, 2015, 3:02:51 PM3/5/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I want everyone to show their support for the authors and pre order the book RIGHT NOW.

Robert Frangioso

Mar 5, 2015, 3:52:02 PM3/5/15
to Dave Cheney, Robert Frangioso, golan...@googlegroups.com

Already a best seller on Amazon! Should be a cla1ssic.

On Mar 5, 2015, at 3:02 PM, Dave Cheney <da...@cheney.net> wrote:

I want everyone to show their support for the authors and pre order the book RIGHT NOW.

Rajanikanth Jammalamadaka

Mar 5, 2015, 4:19:41 PM3/5/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I already did :-)

Shawn Milochik

Mar 5, 2015, 4:23:59 PM3/5/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 4:19 PM, Rajanikanth Jammalamadaka <rajan...@gmail.com> wrote:
I already did :-)

Me too. Had me at the cover design and title. Could be just pictures of gophers I wouldn't even be mad.

Henrik Johansson

Mar 5, 2015, 4:28:31 PM3/5/15
to Sh...@milochik.com, golan...@googlegroups.com

I will definitely buy the Kindle version!

Thomas Bushnell, BSG

Mar 5, 2015, 4:45:10 PM3/5/15
to Henrik Johansson, Sh...@milochik.com, golan...@googlegroups.com
We'll all get to be proud of our first generation copy of K&D.

Robert Frangioso

Mar 5, 2015, 4:48:22 PM3/5/15
to Thomas Bushnell, BSG, Robert Frangioso, Henrik Johansson, Sh...@milochik.com, golan...@googlegroups.com

That’s exactly what I was thinking, I still have an old 1st edition version of K&R C somewhere around here :)

Raffaele Sena

Mar 5, 2015, 5:55:12 PM3/5/15
to Robert Frangioso, Thomas Bushnell, BSG, Henrik Johansson, Sh...@milochik.com, golan...@googlegroups.com
I'll buy only if K&P promise to follow with "The Go Programming Environment" :)

-- Raffaele

John Souvestre

Mar 5, 2015, 8:34:04 PM3/5/15
to Raffaele Sena, Robert Frangioso, Thomas Bushnell, BSG, Henrik Johansson, Sh...@milochik.com, golan...@googlegroups.com

Micky

Sep 21, 2015, 9:34:10 PM9/21/15
to golang-nuts
Seems like the book has been delayed again. It'll likely be released on this Christmas or next year.

Speaking of Practice of Programming, did Robe Pike ever think of writing this second book with Kernighan ;) ?

adon...@google.com

Sep 22, 2015, 8:19:14 PM9/22/15
to golang-nuts
On Monday, 21 September 2015 21:34:10 UTC-4, Micky wrote:
Seems like the book has been delayed again. It'll likely be released on this Christmas or next year.

Apologies for the delays.  We sent page proofs to the publisher today, and we expect printing to be complete no later than Nov 6.  I've uploaded a detailed Table of Contents to www.gopl.io.

cheers
alan

Eric Wang

Sep 22, 2015, 9:42:38 PM9/22/15
to golang-nuts, adon...@google.com
i like to read the content of chapter 9, 12, 13. will buy it when it's available. thanks alan.

just curious: which chapter is write by Mr. Kernighan?

在 2015年9月23日星期三 UTC+8上午8:19:14,adon...@google.com写道:

adon...@google.com

Sep 22, 2015, 10:02:41 PM9/22/15
On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 21:42:38 UTC-4, Eric Wang wrote:
just curious: which chapter is write by Mr. Kernighan?

All the chapters were written by both of us.

Micky

Sep 23, 2015, 9:59:33 AM9/23/15
to adon...@google.com, golang-nuts
Wow, cool. Thanks for the update, Alan.

BTW, I assumed the book would have exercises, just like the good old K&R but it's likely a wrong presumption. Haha.

Alan Donovan

Sep 23, 2015, 10:25:53 AM9/23/15
to Micky, golang-nuts
On 23 September 2015 at 09:58, Micky <mickyl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wow, cool. Thanks for the update, Alan.

BTW, I assumed the book would have exercises, just like the good old K&R but it's likely a wrong presumption. Haha.

It does have exercises---133 of them. :)

Micky

Sep 23, 2015, 10:32:58 AM9/23/15
to Alan Donovan, golang-nuts
Quite impressive sir!
Cannot wait for it now ;-)

adon...@google.com

Sep 30, 2015, 1:10:09 PM9/30/15
to golang-nuts, adon...@google.com
Today at noon we sent the final page proofs off to the publisher, who tells us books should be printed, bound, and in stock by October 30.

Thanks for all your words of encouragement.

alan

Chris Hines

Sep 30, 2015, 2:43:39 PM9/30/15
to golang-nuts, adon...@google.com
I pre-ordered a while ago, can't wait to get it. Thanks for the update.

Chris

Shawn Milochik

Sep 30, 2015, 2:49:07 PM9/30/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I'm with you. I pre-ordered on March 5th, when it was scheduled to be available at the end of August. Since then I've had a birthday, moved to another state, changed jobs, got a new car, and went to GopherCon. Based on this (and other) experiences, book publishing dates are as accurate as software delivery dates. ^_^

Alan Donovan

Sep 30, 2015, 3:03:52 PM9/30/15
to Sh...@milochik.com, golang-nuts
On 30 September 2015 at 14:48, Shawn Milochik <shawn...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm with you. I pre-ordered on March 5th, when it was scheduled to be available at the end of August. Since then I've had a birthday, moved to another state, changed jobs, got a new car, and went to GopherCon. Based on this (and other) experiences, book publishing dates are as accurate as software delivery dates. ^_^

Indeed.

Writing a book is a lot like writing software.  Both are texts with a complex internal structure that you hope to present to the reader in a logical progression of concepts.  The text grows to its final size very early on, after which most of the effort is spent discarding or replacing parts that aren't very good, finding ways to say the same thing in fewer words, and smoothing out bugs.  And only when the early adopters give you their feedback do you learn that the parts of the design you're most proud of are in fact surplus to requirements. :)

Shakeel Mahate

Sep 30, 2015, 4:29:39 PM9/30/15
to golang-nuts, Sh...@milochik.com, adon...@google.com
It is dreadful when you realize that you have to cut what you are most proud of ... keeping my pencils sharpened to work on the exercises

Patrick Bennett

Sep 30, 2015, 6:38:51 PM9/30/15
to golang-nuts
Can't wait!  Hopefully there will be e-book versions available.

Victor Hooi

Sep 30, 2015, 11:05:47 PM9/30/15
to golang-nuts
Sweet!

I've already ordered the paperback version from Amazon - may also get either the Kindle version, or the eBook pundle from the Informit store. (Kindle version has the advantage of it being delivered automatically, enhanced typesetting I'm guessing etc.).

And I'm glad to hear they'll be exercises/problems =).

HaWe

Oct 1, 2015, 8:03:56 AM10/1/15
to golang-nuts
@Alan Donovan
Are there plans to publish foreign language editions of this book?
I would be interested - ideed it would be an honour - to do the german translation.
Translations I did before range from the Getting Started document to The Go Language Specification.
( http://www.bitloeffel.de/DOC/golang/install_de.html ... )

Alan Donovan

Oct 1, 2015, 9:19:16 AM10/1/15
to HaWe, golang-nuts
Chinese, Japanese, and Korean translations are in progress; I don't know of any others.
Thanks for your kind offer; I will pass on your details to our publisher, who handles such things.

HaWe

Oct 1, 2015, 9:29:01 AM10/1/15
to golang-nuts
That's great. Thank you.

Micky

Oct 1, 2015, 11:46:51 AM10/1/15
to Sh...@milochik.com, golang-nuts
Quite funny, haha!
But hopefully, this time, the date suggested by Alan, is final !

Ersin Er

Oct 16, 2015, 8:24:09 AM10/16/15
to Micky, golang-nuts, Sh...@milochik.com

Chapter 1 (Tutorial) is now available as a free to download PDF!

http://www.informit.com/store/go-programming-language-9780134190440

-- Ersin

Owen Waller

Oct 16, 2015, 10:51:11 AM10/16/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Excellent news. This'll give me something to read while I await my physical copy.

But...

Looking at the PDF, there is something weird on page iv (page 5 of the PDF). The copyright is stated as:

Copyright © 2016 Alan A. A. Donovan & Brian W. Kernighan

But, how can you copyright something in the future? Unless, I am very much mistaken it is still 2015 isn't it? ;)

I can only believe that this is a typo, as it doesn't make sense otherwise, but I'd hate to see the authors loose their copyright in the interim.

Owen

Alan Donovan

Oct 16, 2015, 10:56:34 AM10/16/15
to go-...@kulawe.com, golang-nuts
On 16 October 2015 at 10:50, Owen Waller <go-...@kulawe.com> wrote:
Looking at the PDF, there is something weird on page iv (page 5 of the PDF). The copyright is stated as:

Copyright © 2016 Alan A. A. Donovan & Brian W. Kernighan

But, how can you copyright something in the future? Unless, I am very much mistaken it is still 2015 isn't it? ;)

I can only believe that this is a typo, as it doesn't make sense otherwise, but I'd hate to see the authors loose their copyright in the interim.

This is standard operating procedure for books published in Q4.

Shawn Milochik

Oct 16, 2015, 10:59:38 AM10/16/15
to golan...@googlegroups.com
In any case, it's impossible to "lose" your copyright. If you write something, you own the copyright by default, and there's nothing you need to do to prevent someone else from stealing it.

Manlio Perillo

Oct 16, 2015, 1:59:52 PM10/16/15
to golang-nuts, Sh...@milochik.com
I don't know if Romero "lose" his copyright, but:

Regards  Manlio

Matt Harden

Oct 16, 2015, 4:21:07 PM10/16/15
to Manlio Perillo, golang-nuts, Sh...@milochik.com
Copyright notices may have been required in 1968, but as far as I understand they are not required anymore; the author retains copyright by default. (I am not a lawyer).

Victor Hooi

Oct 17, 2015, 1:13:37 AM10/17/15
to golang-nuts, manlio....@gmail.com, Sh...@milochik.com
Hi,

I pre-purchased my paperwork version on Amazon before - can't wait to get my copy!

It says on Amazon that the publishing date is November 9th, 2015 (http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Language-Addison-Wesley-Professional-Computing/dp/0134190440). There isn't any mention of a Kindle version or release date.

On the Informit website, it says the book is published October 30th, 2015 and the eBooks on November 13, 2015..

My two questions are:
  1. Will there be a Kindle version of the book? If so, any idea of when it might be released?
  2. Why are the eBooks being published a couple of weeks after the paperback version? I would have thought that once the proofing is done, it's be faster to deliver an eBook than it is to print out and ship thousands of paperbacks?

Cheers,
Victor

Micky

Oct 17, 2015, 3:31:40 AM10/17/15
to golang-nuts
I think it's again an industry distribution thing, just like with MPAA
and movies.
They want to push the thing which makes them a little bit more money!
Ebooks in general generate less revenue than hard copies.

Alan Donovan

Oct 17, 2015, 8:09:10 AM10/17/15
to Victor Hooi, golang-nuts, manlio....@gmail.com, Sh...@milochik.com
On 17 October 2015 at 01:13, Victor Hooi <victo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I pre-purchased my paperwork version on Amazon before - can't wait to get my copy!

It says on Amazon that the publishing date is November 9th, 2015 (http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Language-Addison-Wesley-Professional-Computing/dp/0134190440). There isn't any mention of a Kindle version or release date.

On the Informit website, it says the book is published October 30th, 2015 and the eBooks on November 13, 2015..

My two questions are:
  1. Will there be a Kindle version of the book? If so, any idea of when it might be released?
  2. Why are the eBooks being published a couple of weeks after the paperback version? I would have thought that once the proofing is done, it's be faster to deliver an eBook than it is to print out and ship thousands of paperbacks?

The publisher's in-stock date for print books is October 30; the schedule was pulled forward two weeks from the original date because we did the proofing and compositing ourselves.  My understanding is that Amazon should start fulfilling orders a couple of days after that, but they're still showing the old date because of latency in the metadata distribution system.

There will be print, Kindle (MOBI), EPUB, and PDF editions available; you can buy a bundle for one price from InformIT.  I don't know the exact date yet but we expect e-books to coincide the print books.  AFAICT the e-book release date is determined entirely by the production schedule; it's not being artificially held back.  (The task of e-book production is not unlike the challenge of designing a web page a decade ago that had to support every browser from two decades ago.)

Victor Hooi

Oct 31, 2015, 6:38:00 AM10/31/15
to golang-nuts, victo...@gmail.com, manlio....@gmail.com, Sh...@milochik.com, adon...@google.com
So apparently the paperbacks are shipping =)! (At least for Informit, I pre-ordered mine from Amazon).

I also ended up pre-ordering the ebook bundle from Informit as well, hopefully they'll ship soon. Argh...the suspense....haha.

Any first thoughts or reviews from anybody who's received the books yet?

Micky

Oct 31, 2015, 1:25:52 PM10/31/15
to golang-nuts, Alan Donovan
AFAIK from the internet, only Russ Cox got his copy from InformIT.

Chris Hines

Oct 31, 2015, 8:42:16 PM10/31/15
to golang-nuts, adon...@google.com
I pre-ordered from Amazon in March. Was notified last week to expect delivery by Nov. 4, got it on Oct. 30 (yesterday)!

andrey mirtchovski

Nov 2, 2015, 10:42:52 PM11/2/15
to Chris Hines, golang-nuts, Alan Donovan
> I pre-ordered from Amazon in March. Was notified last week to expect
> delivery by Nov. 4, got it on Oct. 30 (yesterday)!

I also pre-ordered from Amazon in March. Last week they emailed to say
they haven't yet got the book around the same time I saw Russ Cox had
received it. I cancelled that order and make a new one on InformIT
last Friday. Today I had fedex deliver the book at my door. I'm in
Canada.

andrey

Micky

Nov 2, 2015, 10:50:18 PM11/2/15
to golang-nuts
Mine was shipped by Amazon on 1st Nov. I preordered in Oct.
Although I chose expedited delivery, I am sure it won't be here until next Tuesday.

Josta Yeè

Nov 2, 2015, 10:51:33 PM11/2/15
to Micky, golang-nuts
Hate to wait another 2 weeks to get the ebook version.

John Souvestre

Nov 3, 2015, 12:18:52 AM11/3/15
to golang-nuts
I also ordered from Amazon in March, 2-day delivery. It shipped today. :)

John

John Souvestre - New Orleans LA

James Wendel

Nov 3, 2015, 12:44:04 AM11/3/15
to golang-nuts
I ordered from the publisher and got my copy in the mail today (via UPS ground).

Shawn Milochik

Nov 3, 2015, 3:31:22 PM11/3/15
to golang-nuts

Got my two copies today, ordered March 5th and March 19th from Amazon. Woot!

Matt Harden

Nov 4, 2015, 9:22:18 PM11/4/15
to Sh...@milochik.com, golang-nuts
Hooray! I got my copy today from Amazon!

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 12:31 PM Shawn Milochik <shawn...@gmail.com> wrote:

Got my two copies today, ordered March 5th and March 19th from Amazon. Woot!

Dave Cheney

Nov 4, 2015, 9:39:20 PM11/4/15
to golang-nuts
Curse you all, and curse the southern hemisphere.

Micky

Nov 4, 2015, 9:42:37 PM11/4/15
to golang-nuts
Haha

Robert Frangioso

Nov 4, 2015, 9:47:50 PM11/4/15
to Micky, Robert Frangioso, golang-nuts

Got mine Monday, ordered in March as well :)

Micky

Nov 4, 2015, 10:04:52 PM11/4/15
to Robert Frangioso, golang-nuts
Spoilers aside, would anyone mind writing a quick review of the content?

Victor Hooi

Nov 5, 2015, 1:12:34 AM11/5/15
to Micky, golang-nuts, Robert Frangioso

Does anybody have information on the eBook release date? (It was mentioned before it should be close to the paper book).

Or is it still November 13th as on the Informit website?

Victor Hooi

Nov 11, 2015, 6:41:41 AM11/11/15
to golang-nuts, mickyl...@gmail.com, robert.f...@yahoo.com
Informit just updated the eBook release date from November 13th to November 20th.

Were there some hiccups with the eBook production?

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 7:43 AM, Robert Frangioso <robert.f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Got mine Monday, ordered in March as well :)
On Nov 4, 2015, at 9:41 PM, Micky <mickyl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Haha

On Thursday, 5 November 2015 13:22:18 UTC+11, Matt Harden wrote:
Hooray! I got my copy today from Amazon!

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 12:31 PM Shawn Milochik <shawn...@gmail.com> wrote:

Got my two copies today, ordered March 5th and March 19th from Amazon. Woot!

Micky

Nov 11, 2015, 7:35:46 AM11/11/15
to golang-nuts
The publisher probably just wants to make more money off the top seller!

http://reut.rs/18hTWGc

Alan Donovan

Nov 11, 2015, 10:26:41 AM11/11/15
to Victor Hooi, golang-nuts, Micky Martin, robert.f...@yahoo.com
On 11 November 2015 at 06:41, Victor Hooi <victo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Informit just updated the eBook release date from November 13th to November 20th.

Were there some hiccups with the eBook production?

My understanding is that the publisher wanted the initial e-book release to incorporate several corrections that went into the second printing and that this has delayed the process by a few days.

Micky

Nov 11, 2015, 10:33:10 AM11/11/15
to Alan Donovan, Victor Hooi, golang-nuts, Robert Frangioso
Thanks for clarification, Alan.
I always assumed that ebook production is all about PDFs but I may be wrong!

Alan Donovan

Nov 11, 2015, 10:40:27 AM11/11/15
to Micky, Victor Hooi, golang-nuts, Robert Frangioso
On 11 November 2015 at 10:32, Micky <mickyl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for clarification, Alan.
I always assumed that ebook production is all about PDFs but I may be wrong!

Sadly, no.  An e-book is fundamentally a long HTML document that is typeset and broken into pages by the e-book device.  The devices that must be supported are as varied and as frustrating as the web browsers of a decade ago.  In contrast, PDF is fundamentally a page-oriented medium, so the appearance is identical to the printed book.  Our publisher sells PDFs for readers with high-end devices like ipads.

Micky

Nov 12, 2015, 2:40:32 AM11/12/15
to golang-nuts
Ah more wait. I guess it'll sweeten the reading then 😇 !

Darren Hoo

Nov 12, 2015, 6:03:09 AM11/12/15
to golang-nuts, mickyl...@gmail.com, robert.f...@yahoo.com
Actually it's not a bad news for me :)

I ordered paperback from amazon on Oct 29, but It will take 40 DAYS to be shipped to China.

I just planned to buy an eBook copy if it would release tommorrow.

For now all I can do is to keep my patience to wait and wait for my book to arrive, so agonizing!

Kun Li

Nov 12, 2015, 1:19:14 PM11/12/15
to golang-nuts, adon...@google.com
Hi Alan:

Do you know if this e-book will be available in Google Play Store(Book) sometime soon, or it will likely be only available on Amazon for a while?

Micky

Nov 12, 2015, 1:32:20 PM11/12/15
to Kun Li, golang-nuts
I think it's pretty much what Alan said before.
Ebooks are tricky business of writing HTML/CSS with cross-browser support.

So Kun, you'll have to wait.

Matt Harden

Nov 12, 2015, 10:58:54 PM11/12/15
to Micky, Kun Li, golang-nuts
I think Kun's question was about whether the ebook would be avail on Google Play around the same time it appears on Amazon, or later.

Micky

Nov 12, 2015, 11:24:47 PM11/12/15
to Matt Harden, Kun Li, golang-nuts
Well, I don't think that Pearson is up on Play Books (other than their lowly reviewed eText app, which seems like a frontend to their web app).

Matt Harden

Nov 12, 2015, 11:38:03 PM11/12/15
to Micky, Kun Li, golang-nuts

Micky

Nov 12, 2015, 11:53:58 PM11/12/15
to Matt Harden, Kun Li, golang-nuts
Quite interesting! I didn't know that.
Hopefully Alan can confirm.

Victor Hooi

Nov 13, 2015, 9:31:50 AM11/13/15
to golang-nuts, matt....@gmail.com, likunar...@gmail.com
My paperback copy from Amazon arrived today (Australia) =).

This will keep me happy till the eBooks come out...haha.

However, has anybody with a copy from Amazon noticed any issues with the printing quality? The colour covers seem to have weird fringing artifacts, and the pages seem a bit...well, not as nice as normal retail computer books (e.g. from O'Reilly).

Does Amazon print their books differently from Pearson/Informit?

Cheers,
Victor

Alan Donovan

Nov 13, 2015, 9:44:29 AM11/13/15
to Victor Hooi, golang-nuts, Matt Harden, Kun Li
On 13 November 2015 at 09:31, Victor Hooi <victo...@gmail.com> wrote:
My paperback copy from Amazon arrived today (Australia) =).

This will keep me happy till the eBooks come out...haha.

However, has anybody with a copy from Amazon noticed any issues with the printing quality? The colour covers seem to have weird fringing artifacts, and the pages seem a bit...well, not as nice as normal retail computer books (e.g. from O'Reilly).

Does Amazon print their books differently from Pearson/Informit?

That's frustrating.  All copies currently in existence were printed in a single run at R R Donnelly in Indiana, and in all the ones I've seen, the print quality of both cover and text block was superb.  If you're able to send me a scan that exhibits the problem, I'll raise it with the production staff so we can get to the bottom of it.

Alan Donovan

Nov 13, 2015, 9:44:50 AM11/13/15
to Micky, Matt Harden, Kun Li, golang-nuts
On 12 November 2015 at 23:53, Micky <mickyl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Quite interesting! I didn't know that.
Hopefully Alan can confirm.

I've passed the question on to our editor and will let you know what I find.

Victor Hooi

Nov 14, 2015, 4:02:09 AM11/14/15
to golang-nuts, victo...@gmail.com, matt....@gmail.com, likunar...@gmail.com, adon...@google.com
The book is by no means unreadable - I was just curious if Amazon had a different source to buying direct from the publisher?

(I know for O'Reilly books, Amazon do their own printing via Print-On-Demand, which can be a bit hit-and-miss sometimes - e.g link and link. In those cases, the quality was *really* bad, whereas this is bad if you look closely).

The purple fringing is on the colour parts (i.e. front/back cover) and it's noticeable mostly if you know to look:

The text inside nlooks fine, the paper is just....that weird off-white colour, with the fine scattering of faint black dots over the page you sometimes get in cheap textbooks, if you know what I mean? It's hard to capture on camera, and like I said, the actual text itself is fine so it's by no means unreadable.

I've also got the eBooks on order as well =).

Cheers,
Victor

Micky

Nov 14, 2015, 4:47:58 AM11/14/15
to Victor Hooi, golang-nuts, Matt Harden, Kun Li, Alan Donovan
Ah I have seen such printing quality before.
"International Editions", we meet again, LOL.
These are mostly published in India and there, known as "economy edition" -- have very thin page gauge and power printing quality.
But are very cheap. e.g. Indian K&R is $3 while American K&R is $50 something.

Although, I am NOT sure if the American publisher that Alan mentioned, is using this lowly quality!

Alan Donovan

Nov 16, 2015, 5:19:07 PM11/16/15
On 14 November 2015 at 04:02, Victor Hooi <victo...@gmail.com> wrote:
The purple fringing is on the colour parts (i.e. front/back cover) and it's noticeable mostly if you know to look:

The text inside nlooks fine, the paper is just....that weird off-white colour, with the fine scattering of faint black dots over the page you sometimes get in cheap textbooks, if you know what I mean?

Thanks, Victor.  That does look bad.  I've passed on your message to the publisher's production staff.

cheers
alan

Micky

Nov 21, 2015, 7:31:27 AM11/21/15
to golang-nuts
So I just received the book. The printing and paper quality is same as that of O'rielly books.

So some day, I hope I can get it signed by Rob Pike and Kernighan....!

No -- just kidding, of course by Alan as well. 😁

chai2010

Feb 17, 2016, 3:09:49 AM2/17/16
to golang-nuts, golang中文小组
《The Go Programming Language》中文版本: