Go 1.6 Release Candidate 1 is released

Chris Broadfoot

Jan 27, 2016, 8:34:01 PM1/27/16
to golang-nuts
Hello Go nuts,

We have just released go1.6rc1, the first release candidate for Go 1.6.
It is cut from release-branch.go1.6 at the revision tagged go1.6rc1.

Please help us by testing your Go programs with the release, and report any problems using the issue tracker:

You can download binary and source distributions from the usual place:

To find out what has changed in Go 1.6, read the draft release notes:

Documentation for Go 1.6 is available at:

Our goal is to release the final version of Go 1.6 in around two weeks.

Cheers
Chris

Brian Hatfield

Jan 28, 2016, 1:40:44 PM1/28/16
to Chris Broadfoot, golang-nuts
Great news! I just canaried 1.6 RC1 to a real production host. For a Go app using about ~10GB of memory, the already good GC times look even better on my 1.6rc1 canary (the blue line) vs 1.5.3 (the rest):

Inline image 1

https://twitter.com/brianhatfield/status/692778741567721473

Thanks!

Brad Fitzpatrick

Jan 28, 2016, 2:05:46 PM1/28/16
to Brian Hatfield, Chris Broadfoot, golang-nuts
Beautiful!

Harmen B

Jan 29, 2016, 5:33:08 AM1/29/16
to golang-nuts
Here the times have also dropped a lot: from about 3ms to 1.5ms, with otherwise everything the same, as far as I can see. Nice!

Just out of curiosity, can this be attributed to a single change or is it a lot of smaller things?

Thanks!
Harmen

omicro...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2016, 11:05:10 AM1/29/16
to golang-nuts
Excelent, memory usage seems to be slower than golang's 1.5 version !

Chris Broadfoot

Jan 29, 2016, 1:54:40 PM1/29/16
to Harmen B, golang-nuts

Roger Pack

Feb 8, 2016, 2:35:07 AM2/8/16
to golang-nuts, cb...@golang.org

On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 11:40:44 AM UTC-7, Brian Hatfield wrote:
Great news! I just canaried 1.6 RC1 to a real production host. For a Go app using about ~10GB of memory, the already good GC times look even better on my 1.6rc1 canary (the blue line) vs 1.5.3 (the rest):

Inline image 1

https://twitter.com/brianhatfield/status/692778741567721473

Thanks!

Did it cause your app to become more responsive? Is cpu use less overall here, as well? Just wonderin'.
Also anybody have some example "compile times" 1.4 v 1.5 v 1.6?
Cheers!
-roger-