Go 1.3 Release Candidate 1 released

Andrew Gerrand

Jun 2, 2014, 6:31:15 PM6/2/14
to golang-nuts
Hi Go nuts,

We have just released go1.3rc1, a release candidate for Go 1.2.

While this release candidate is considered stable, but please exercise caution when deploying to production systems.

Please help us by testing your Go programs with the new tool chain and libraries, and report any problems using the issue tracker:
    http://golang.org/issue/new

You can download binary and source distributions from our new download page:
    http://golang.org/dl/#go1.3rc1

To compile from source, update to the go1.3rc1 tag with "hg update go1.3rc1" and build as usual.

To find out what has changed, read the release notes for Go 1.3:
    http://tip.golang.org/doc/go1.3

Documentation for Go 1.3 is available at http://tip.golang.org/

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the release so far.

Andrew

luf...@163.com

Jun 2, 2014, 9:46:28 PM6/2/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
cgo:inconsistent definitions for C.CreateWindowEx(go1.3rc1)
Normally in Go1.2

在 2014年6月3日星期二UTC+8上午6时31分15秒,Andrew Gerrand写道:

shka...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2014, 10:24:06 PM6/2/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew, thank you for sharing this. Is NaCl port documentation or tutorials available anywhere?
Thank you,
Serge

Andrew Gerrand

Jun 2, 2014, 10:42:51 PM6/2/14
to shka...@gmail.com, golang-nuts

On 3 June 2014 12:24, <shka...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is NaCl port documentation or tutorials available anywhere?

Brad Fitzpatrick

Jun 2, 2014, 10:49:43 PM6/2/14
to Andrew Gerrand, Sergey Shkarupin, golang-nuts

David Symonds

Jun 2, 2014, 11:37:44 PM6/2/14
to luf...@163.com, golang-nuts
On 3 June 2014 11:46, <luf...@163.com> wrote:

> cgo:inconsistent definitions for C.CreateWindowEx(go1.3rc1)
> Normally in Go1.2

I believe that was fixed in https://codereview.appspot.com/102080043,
so it should be fine in the next release candidate.

小菜

Jun 3, 2014, 2:21:11 AM6/3/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
oh,  very good, I have waited for a long time !

在 2014年6月3日星期二UTC+8上午6时31分15秒,Andrew Gerrand写道:

小菜

Jun 3, 2014, 2:28:34 AM6/3/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I  think  It need a package for GUI programming!

在 2014年6月3日星期二UTC+8上午6时31分15秒,Andrew Gerrand写道:

Rusco

Jun 3, 2014, 3:02:24 AM6/3/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
a release candidate for Go 1."3"

Nick Craig-Wood

Jun 3, 2014, 6:43:00 AM6/3/14
to David Symonds, luf...@163.com, golang-nuts
When compiling http://github.com/ncw/gmp/ I get this similar error

# github.com/ncw/gmp
./int_extra.go:21: cannot use &z.i[0] (type *C.struct___0) as type
*C.struct___1 in argument to _Cfunc_mpz_sqrt
./int_extra.go:21: cannot use &x.i[0] (type *C.struct___0) as type
*C.struct___1 in argument to _Cfunc_mpz_sqrt

$ go version
go version go1.3rc1 linux/amd64

Which looks like a similar problem and is indeed fixed in tip

$ go version devel +d86ec79a5f30 Tue Jun 03 18:11:17 2014 +1000 linux/amd64

--
Nick Craig-Wood <ni...@craig-wood.com> -- http://www.craig-wood.com/nick

tomwilde

Jun 3, 2014, 10:40:03 AM6/3/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
We have just released go1.3rc1, a release candidate for Go 1.2.

now that's counter-intuitive... oh, wait.

Jason E. Aten

Jun 8, 2014, 5:31:44 PM6/8/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
FYI to anyone using gdb to debug golang programs, go 1.3 is very broken when it comes to breakpointing inside function literals, and it doesn't look like this is going to get fixed until go1.4.

https://code.google.com/p/go/issues/detail?id=8098

Since I use a test framework (GoConvey; github.com/smartystreets/goconvey) where all tests are inside function literals, Go 1.3 is functionally useless to me.

jasdel

Jun 9, 2014, 1:08:56 AM6/9/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Are there alternatives to debugging via gdb? I didn't think there were but wanted to check.

Jason E. Aten

Jun 9, 2014, 2:56:17 AM6/9/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, June 8, 2014 10:08:56 PM UTC-7, jasdel wrote:
Are there alternatives to debugging via gdb? I didn't think there were but wanted to check.

Inserting prints via fmt.Printf(%#v) or go-goon.Dump() [https://github.com/shurcooL/go-goon] are the next best things I know of.  Hardly comparable to being able to use watchpoints to pinpoint a problem, I know.

Hans Dorn

Jun 9, 2014, 6:58:39 AM6/9/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

I'm new to the group, and my first question goes here:

Just came across this tidbit related to the garbage collector:
"Programs that use package unsafe to store integers in pointer-typed values are illegal and will crash if the runtime detects the behavior."

-This would effectively prohibit the passing of pointers to syscalls via uintptr, right?
- what are the alternatives, cgo maybe?

I plan on using Windows DDLs heaviliy...

Cheers
Hans

Hans Dorn

Jun 9, 2014, 7:01:42 AM6/9/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
P.S: . Programs that use package unsafe to store pointers in integer-typed values are also illegal

Mateusz Czapliński

Jun 9, 2014, 7:48:40 AM6/9/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, June 9, 2014 12:58:39 PM UTC+2, Hans Dorn wrote:
"Programs that use package unsafe to store integers in pointer-typed values are illegal and will crash if the runtime detects the behavior."
-This would effectively prohibit the passing of pointers to syscalls via uintptr, right?

I asked a similar (although not exactly same) question here: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/golang-nuts/W_Up0e4TOfs/Oo9kiWS1uwYJ ; got some valuable responses, although some things are still not fully clear to me, but I don't have enough time to continue asking questions at the moment, unfortunately.

Peter Kleiweg

Jun 9, 2014, 10:32:19 AM6/9/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Some problems:

    (peter) ~ go get github.com/pebbe/novas
    inconsistent definitions for C.make_cat_entry

    (peter) ~/go/src go get gopkg.in/qml.v0
    inconsistent definitions for C.DataValue

This is new in go1.3rc1. It was still working in go1.3beta2.

Peter Kleiweg

Jun 9, 2014, 10:44:47 AM6/9/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Op maandag 9 juni 2014 16:32:19 UTC+2 schreef Peter Kleiweg:
Ah, fixed on tip.

Shouldn't `go version` on tip give a submit hash? It just says "go1.3rc1"

Gustavo Niemeyer

Jun 9, 2014, 11:04:59 AM6/9/14
to Andrew Gerrand, golang-nuts
If you're using godeb, you'll need to download the latest update for
it to handle the new download URL (golang.org/dl). The older locations
are still consulted (concurrently) so that all the known releases can
be installed.
> --

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net

parker...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2014, 11:37:05 AM6/9/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I've been experimentally working on a debugger written in Go. It's very much alpha, however, and only works for Linux amd64. https://github.com/derekparker/dbg. It currently relies on the Go symbol table to set/remove breakpoints so it should be impervious to these DWARF issues. However, DWARF data inaccuracies could affect some features I'm currently working on.

(Don't mean to sidetrack this thread with self-promotion, thought this might be relevant).

Hans Dorn

Jun 9, 2014, 6:22:15 PM6/9/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, June 9, 2014 1:48:40 PM UTC+2, Mateusz Czapliński wrote:

I asked a similar (although not exactly same) question here: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/golang-nuts/W_Up0e4TOfs/Oo9kiWS1uwYJ ; got some valuable responses, although some things are still not fully clear to me, but I don't have enough time to continue asking questions at the moment, unfortunately.

Thanks a lot that was actually pretty helpful.

Jason E. Aten

Jun 11, 2014, 12:35:42 AM6/11/14
to parker...@gmail.com, golang-nuts
On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 8:37 AM, <parker...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been experimentally working on a debugger written in Go. It's very much alpha, however, and only works for Linux amd64. https://github.com/derekparker/dbg. It currently relies on the Go symbol table to set/remove breakpoints so it should be impervious to these DWARF issues. However, DWARF data inaccuracies could affect some features I'm currently working on.

(Don't mean to sidetrack this thread with self-promotion, thought this might be relevant).

Cool! I'll check it out.

Btw, Ian pushed a fix for the dwarf line-finding issue today. Horray!
https://code.google.com/p/go/source/detail?r=87daa424d96a