[ANN] Space Monkey releases collection of Go libraries open source

JT Olds

May 12, 2014, 3:37:14 PM5/12/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
On the heels of our previous write-up of moving from Python to Go, we've open sourced a smattering of packages that made our transition much easier.

Today we're releasing an errors library, (yet another) logging library, a code instrumentation and data collection library, OpenSSL bindings, and a few more things.

Read more at https://www.spacemonkey.com/blog/posts/go-open-source and check out the code at https://github.com/SpaceMonkeyGo

Would love feedback!

-JT

Dave Cheney

May 12, 2014, 9:29:29 PM5/12/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Excellent godocs, especially the errors package. My only nit is the mixed case in the github org name, which is discouraged because of the usual problems with case insensitive case preserving file systems (OSX, i'm looking at you)

JT Olds

May 12, 2014, 9:42:47 PM5/12/14
to Dave Cheney, golang-nuts
good point. github also looks case insensitive, so it should be easy enough to change in a backwards-compatible fashion. i'll take a look at that in a bit

thanks for the compliment!

JT Olds

May 13, 2014, 12:30:45 PM5/13/14
to Dave Cheney, golang-nuts
Alright, thanks Dave, case change applied.

Sadly, looks like godoc is not case insensitive like github is for organization names, so while we were one of the top listed popular packages, we are no longer, lol

Joseph Poirier

May 13, 2014, 1:58:46 PM5/13/14
to Dave Cheney, golang-nuts
On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 8:29 PM, Dave Cheney <da...@cheney.net> wrote:
Excellent godocs, especially the errors package. My only nit is the mixed case in the github org name, which is discouraged because of the usual problems with case insensitive case preserving file systems (OSX, i'm looking at you)

OSX has no problem with case-sensitivity but you do have to reformat the Mac drive yourself (In Disk Utility under the Partition section, Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)) as they come case-insensitive by default.

minux

May 13, 2014, 2:03:03 PM5/13/14
to Joseph Poirier, golang-nuts, Dave Cheney

I also do this because the linux kernel have a lot of files that differ only in case (mainly for xtables).

however, the problem of this setup is, there are some commercial applications that assumes case-insensitive FS and just doesn't work on case-sensitive one. (e.g. some popular photo editing software.)

Joseph Poirier

May 13, 2014, 2:15:23 PM5/13/14
to minux, golang-nuts, Dave Cheney
All the MBPs I've used since about 2006 had their drives reformatted to be case-sensitive as soon as they came out of the box and the only software I've had a case-sensitive problem with was Adobe Photoshop.

Aram Hăvărneanu

May 13, 2014, 2:21:20 PM5/13/14
to Joseph Poirier, minux, golang-nuts, Dave Cheney
You say OS X has no problems and then proceed to describe a problem.
People don't even know how to argue on the Internet anymore.

What is the point of this discussion?

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

Joseph Poirier

May 13, 2014, 4:32:12 PM5/13/14
to Aram Hăvărneanu, minux, golang-nuts, Dave Cheney
The operating system doesn't have a problem with case sensitivity but the application does. When you spawn Photoshop it tells you it's not written for a case-sensitive system and exits. Troll much?

Dave Cheney

May 13, 2014, 4:46:23 PM5/13/14
to Joseph Poirier, golang-nuts
That is true. But that is not the default and so I hold that 99.9% of people who know about this limitation, and 100% of people who don't, will not do that.

Joseph Poirier

May 13, 2014, 5:20:25 PM5/13/14
to Dave Cheney, golang-nuts
On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Dave Cheney <da...@cheney.net> wrote:
That is true. But that is not the default and so I hold that 99.9% of people who know about this limitation, and 100% of people who don't, will not do that.

Roger that

Aram Hăvărneanu

May 13, 2014, 6:57:58 PM5/13/14
to Joseph Poirier, minux, golang-nuts, Dave Cheney
> The operating system doesn't have a problem with case sensitivity but the
> application does. When you spawn Photoshop it tells you it's not written for
> a case-sensitive system and exits. Troll much?

Thanks for your meaningless contribution.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

JT Olds

May 13, 2014, 7:00:45 PM5/13/14
to Aram Hăvărneanu, Joseph Poirier, minux, golang-nuts, Dave Cheney
Ditto?

Joseph Poirier

May 13, 2014, 11:36:46 PM5/13/14
to Aram Hăvărneanu, minux, golang-nuts, Dave Cheney
lol, np

Ken Allen

May 19, 2014, 11:17:47 PM5/19/14
to golan...@googlegroups.com
I just read your blog post about switching to go. I see you guys are using reed-solomon. Did you port that to go or was it written in c? I ask because I have not seen an open source reed solomon codec that is not LGPL/GPL encumbered. It would be great if you open sourced yours (especially if yours is pure go!).

Also, thanks for your error and monitor libraries, those look useful.

JT Olds

May 19, 2014, 11:54:25 PM5/19/14
to Ken Allen, golang-nuts
We do hope to open source our RS library bindings soon. We don't currently have a pure-Go RS library.

In the meantime, you'll probably want to check out https://github.com/randombit/fecpp, which is not GPL encumbered.