Two weeks left before freeze

Alexander Rakoczy

Apr 20, 2020, 10:17:26 AM4/20/20
to golan...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,
Per https://golang.org/wiki/Go-Release-Cycle, we have about two weeks left before we enter the development freeze.

Please plan accordingly and ensure that the Go1.15 milestone is an accurate representation of what will go into the release.

Thanks,
Alex

Russ Cox

Apr 20, 2020, 1:28:34 PM4/20/20
to Alexander Rakoczy, golang-dev
I just want to put a bit more emphasis on what Alex said.

This is an especially important cycle not to rush things in at the last minute.

As you review pending changes (or work on changes) over the next two weeks,
please don't hesitate to say "this is too big a change for right now;
let's wait until next cycle".

We don't know how difficult the next couple months will be,
so let's be conservative and not give ourselves unnecessary stress
by checking in last-minute subtle changes that we'll need to debug.
Leave them for the start of the next cycle, where they'll get proper soak time.

As an example, we have cmd/go lazy module loading (an important feature for
making module loads faster and more resilient to ancient things disappearing)
almost ready, but we decided last week that now was not the time
to be making that kind of change, even with the freeze not yet underway.

Go 1.15 is going to be a smaller release than usual, and that's okay.

Best,
Russ

Alexander Rakoczy

May 1, 2020, 10:08:00 AM5/1/20
to Russ Cox, golang-dev

Hi folks,

We have now entered the freeze.

Please land any in-progress non-stabilization CLs within one week from today or they will need to wait until the next release.

Thanks,

Alex

Dmitri Shuralyov

May 14, 2020, 6:11:36 PM5/14/20
to golang-dev
Hi gophers,

We have 3 updates:

1. The Go 1.15 freeze is underway.
2. The next milestone is releasing Go 1.15 Beta 1, and its target date is June 1 or earlier (if it is possible to resolve blocking issues by then).
3. We've added a label to help see release-blocker issues that are in scope for Beta 1.

Please read on for more details.

As documented at golang.org/s/release#timeline, the goal of Beta 1 is to encourage testing and discover new bugs. Issuing the beta can be done when nearly all known bugs that are planned to be fixed for the final Go 1.15 release have been fixed, so that it is possible to look for unknown bugs.

The release team has a weekly meeting to review issues with the release-blocker label. We've marked some issues that are lower risk and deemed safe to resolve either before or after Beta 1 with a new label, so that it is possible to use this GitHub issue filter to view a list of all release-blocking issues that we intend to fix before issuing Beta 1:

This new label, okay-after-beta1, is experimental. We may change it in the future after learning more about how well it works.

As of this writing, there are 12 open release-blocking issues in scope for Beta 1. Of course, this number may go down as issues get resolved or determined not to be release-blocking, or up as new critical issues are discovered. When we get it down to zero, we will be able to release Go 1.15 Beta 1.

Please take a look at the release blocking issues, and if you're able to contribute to their resolution, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Dmitri, and Alex, and Carlos for the Go release team