Contest for Go QML applications?

Gustavo Niemeyer

Feb 24, 2014, 12:52:28 PM2/24/14
to Go QML, golan...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

We were just considering whether it might be fun to organize a contest
for applications developed with Go QML. The idea would be to offer
the next two months preceding GopherCon as a window for applicants to
create a GUI application based on Go QML, and we'd get together at
GopherCon to judge and announce the winner, with some prizing to be
defined.

Of course, this is only fun if we have enough people interested in
participating, and I realize we all have schedules, so it seems worth
asking before going ahead. If you'd like to participate in something
like that, please raise your hand now. :-)

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net

Job van der Zwan

Feb 24, 2014, 3:56:32 PM2/24/14
to go-...@googlegroups.com, golan...@googlegroups.com
Is this for anyone, or just those attending GopherCon?

(Either way, something happened to the Ubuntu SDK so it no longer wants to properly update/install :/. Seems to be a more common PPA issue so I'll just wait for it to get sorted out eventually)

Gustavo Niemeyer

Feb 24, 2014, 5:10:24 PM2/24/14
to Job van der Zwan, Go QML, golan...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Job van der Zwan
<j.l.van...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this for anyone, or just those attending GopherCon?

This is for anyone. With enough interest, we'll just be doing the
judging and announcement as part of GopherCon, but the winner doesn't
have to be there.

> (Either way, something happened to the Ubuntu SDK so it no longer wants to
> properly update/install :/. Seems to be a more common PPA issue so I'll just
> wait for it to get sorted out eventually)

Please let me know if you continue to run into issues and I'll be
happy to help, or to redirect to someone that can.

Note that at least with the current tip we don't need a PPA. It's not
entirely clear this will continue to be the case for much longer,
though, as 5.1 and 5.2 have some interesting features that we can
benefit from.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net

Gustavo Niemeyer

Feb 25, 2014, 7:36:59 AM2/25/14
to Francesc Campoy Flores, chris....@gmail.com, Yunge, Go QML, golan...@googlegroups.com
Alright, looks like we have a quorum. Let's push this forward then!

--

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net

Gustavo Niemeyer

Feb 25, 2014, 7:51:14 AM2/25/14
to Peter Nguyen, golan...@googlegroups.com, Go QML
On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 6:33 AM, Peter Nguyen
<peter.ng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What are the rules for the contest?

It's meant to be pretty open. Any GUI application built on Go and the
qml package is in. The application must be available under an open
source license of the author's choice, and the judges must be able to
either execute the application or see a screencast of the application
in use to be able to judge it. Any operating system is fine.

If there are any other questions, please send them along so we can
polish these rules.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net

Jiahua Chen

Feb 25, 2014, 6:40:56 PM2/25/14
to go-...@googlegroups.com, golan...@googlegroups.com
Where to vote? Here? OK, +1

Gustavo Niemeyer

Feb 25, 2014, 7:14:00 PM2/25/14
to Jiahua Chen, Go QML, golan...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, here is good, thanks.

We'll have a blog post to announce it, but enough people have
demonstrated interest for the contest to be worth it, so we're doing
it. Let the coding begin!
> --

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net

Mark Saward

Mar 5, 2014, 6:53:33 PM3/5/14
to go-...@googlegroups.com, Jiahua Chen, golan...@googlegroups.com
Is a blog post on the competition still forthcoming?  I have been guessing you would post a link here if it was up somewhere.

Thanks,
Mark Saward

Gustavo Niemeyer

Mar 5, 2014, 7:02:18 PM3/5/14
to Mark Saward, Go QML, Jiahua Chen, golan...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I just want to sort out the details, such as the actual prize,
before posting it. But it's coming.

Mark Saward

Mar 5, 2014, 7:57:28 PM3/5/14
to go-...@googlegroups.com, golan...@googlegroups.com
Cool, thanks for update!

Gustavo Niemeyer

Mar 13, 2014, 4:13:24 PM3/13/14
to Go QML, golan...@googlegroups.com
The details for the contest are up:

http://blog.labix.org/2014/03/13/go-qml-contest

Please let me know if I missed something.