Go package management proposal process

Peter Bourgon

Jul 29, 2016, 3:44:37 AM7/29/16
to go-package...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

For well over a year, a group of dedicated Gophers have been
discussing the package management situation on a dedicated mailing
list, in Slack #vendor, and several communication channels. A few
tools have emerged from those broad conversations, including Glide,
govendor, gb, and the SAT solver gps. And at GopherCon 2016, a panel
with several members of the core Go team was held.

While much remains to be decided, a few things are clear. The package
management solution, whatever it will be, will take the form of one or
more official Go language proposals. And the proposals (and their
eventual implementation) will be driven by a small committee of
dedicated Gophers.

In the interest of progress, I've volunteered to shepherd this process
from start to finish. I've created a document detailing a proposal for
the process itself. If this topic interests you, please review and
comment.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18tNd8r5DV0yluCR7tPvkMTsWD_lYcRO7NhpNSDymRr8

As much as anything can be official, I hope that this will be the
official process, leading to the long-desired blessed solution.

Regards,
Peter Bourgon.

Dave Cheney

Jul 29, 2016, 4:01:08 AM7/29/16
to Peter Bourgon, go-package...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for stepping into the role of co-ordinator Peter, I appreciate it very much.

I've made you a mod of this group so you too can know the pleasure/pain of moderating posts when someone cross posts this group into a discussion ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Peter Bourgon

Jul 29, 2016, 4:08:07 AM7/29/16
to Dave Cheney, go-package...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 10:01 AM, Dave Cheney <da...@cheney.net> wrote:
> Thanks for stepping into the role of co-ordinator Peter, I appreciate it
> very much.
>
> I've made you a mod of this group so you too can know the pleasure/pain of
> moderating posts when someone cross posts this group into a discussion
> ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ