Package Management committee research docs

Peter Bourgon

Sep 29, 2016, 6:37:03 AM9/29/16
to go-package...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The committee has been hard at work in the month of September, and has
produced three research docs as artifacts. They've already been shared
with the interested Gophers list, I'm attaching them here in read-only
mode for anyone else who might be following along at home.

User Stories
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wT8e8wBHMrSRHY4UF_60GCgyWGqvYye4THvaDARPySs/edit?usp=sharing

Features
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JNP6DgSK-c6KqveIhQk-n_HAw3hsZkL-okoleM43NgA/edit?usp=sharing

Design Space
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TpQlQYovCoX9FkpgsoxzdvZplghudHAiQOame30A-v8/edit?usp=sharing

We now enter the proposal phase. As always, please get in touch with
me if you have any questions. I'm available by email and often on the
Gophers Slack #vendor.

Cheers,
Peter.

Eric Johnson

Sep 29, 2016, 1:00:27 PM9/29/16
to Go Package Management, pe...@bourgon.org
Fantastic to see progress on this. Thanks so much!

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 3:37:03 AM UTC-7, Peter Bourgon wrote:
Hi all,

The committee has been hard at work in the month of September, and has
produced three research docs as artifacts. They've already been shared
with the interested Gophers list, I'm attaching them here in read-only
mode for anyone else who might be following along at home.

User Stories
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wT8e8wBHMrSRHY4UF_60GCgyWGqvYye4THvaDARPySs/edit?usp=sharing

Features
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JNP6DgSK-c6KqveIhQk-n_HAw3hsZkL-okoleM43NgA/edit?usp=sharing

Design Space
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TpQlQYovCoX9FkpgsoxzdvZplghudHAiQOame30A-v8/edit?usp=sharing

One quick comment. I don't see mentioned in the Design Space one notion that makes the Go language so powerful as a language - maintaining orthogonality where possible. I'm not exactly sure how this might manifest in the package management space. This seems implied by some of the indicated design points, but perhaps worth making explicit? Some thoughts:
  • Specifications for the contents of certain data files (manifests, lock files)
  • Establish metadata location within a package, so future project metadata has a known place to go?
  • Means to choose alternate algorithms for resolving dependencies
  • Separate resolving dependencies from that of fetching dependencies
  • Separate the identity of a package from its fetch location, and further how a dependency might be processed /patched once fetched.
  • Retrieving metadata about a package independently from its source repository (examples - known uses on GitHub, known CVEs, nightly testing reports)
Of course, Go is also opinionated about certain things. Same probably applies here. For example, probably valuable to bind to SemVer or something similar. Another area to be opinionated might be about security related data (package checksums, CVE data). Also base specifications of things like manifest could be written to be very flexible and extensible, but perhaps better to deny that option, as that could end up with mixed scope uses with future evolution?

Dave Cheney

Sep 29, 2016, 6:47:30 PM9/29/16
to Go Package Management
Thanks for posting these documents Peter. I have a question regarding the next milestone, which is listed as a proposal document targeted at the end of October, with debate scheduled to occuer after that.

The change window for Go 1.8 also closes at the end of Octpber. Are you targeting Go 1.8 as the release, and if so have you received an exception from the feature freeze?

Thanks

Dave

Andrew Gerrand

Sep 29, 2016, 6:49:23 PM9/29/16
to Dave Cheney, Go Package Management

On 30 September 2016 at 08:47, Dave Cheney <da...@cheney.net> wrote:
The change window for Go 1.8 also closes at the end of Octpber. Are you targeting Go 1.8 as the release, and if so have you received an exception from the feature freeze?

I don't expect we'll need to do anything to the Go core for 1.8. I'd like to get a prototype tool out around the same time as the 1.8 release and have everyone use it, before looking at integrating it with the go tool etc.

Dave Cheney

Sep 29, 2016, 6:53:24 PM9/29/16
to Andrew Gerrand, Go Package Management

Excellent. Thanks for the clarification.

Dave Cheney

Dave Cheney

Sep 29, 2016, 8:25:42 PM9/29/16
to Go Package Management, a...@google.com
(sorry for the misfire)

As a followup question, does this mean that Go users will not see an official solution from this working group integrated into the Go distribution until at least Go 1.9 in July 2017?

Andrew Gerrand

Dave Cheney