emacs and emacsclient on different displays

Jim Barbour

Oct 27, 2009, 12:26:43 AM10/27/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hey Folks,

Should I be able to run emacs and emacsclient on different displays?

i.e. start emacs on my linux machine in my office, set a server name
and start an emacs server. Do work. Then, come home, ssh into the
office, and run emacsclient and use the same buffers I was using at
work. I'd like all of this to be in X windows, not in a TTY.

i.e.

host1 % echo DISPLAY
localhost:0.0
host1 % emacs...
eval: (setq server-name "test1")
eval: (start-server)

<later>

host1 % echo $DISPLAY
localhost:14.0
host1 % emacsclient -s test1 -c foo
Waiting for Emacs...X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
*ERROR*: Connection lost to X server `localhost:14.0'

However, if I run xterm at that same prompt, it comes up just fine.

Can anyone let me know if what I want to do here is possible, and what
I might be doing wrong?

Thanks Very Much,

Jim

Stefan Monnier

Oct 30, 2009, 2:07:26 AM10/30/09
> Should I be able to run emacs and emacsclient on different displays?

Yes.

> host1 % echo $DISPLAY
> localhost:14.0
> host1 % emacsclient -s test1 -c foo
> Waiting for Emacs...X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> *ERROR*: Connection lost to X server `localhost:14.0'

Does "xterm" bring up an xterm? Could it be that your original "emacs"
was started with a different .Xautority file, maybe?
I.e. compare $XAUTHORITY in each cases (ideally it should be
empty/undefined in each case).

Stefan

Suvayu Ali

Oct 30, 2009, 11:20:50 AM10/30/09
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Hi Jim,

On Monday 26 October 2009 09:26 PM, Jim Barbour wrote:
> Should I be able to run emacs and emacsclient on different displays?
>

> i.e. start emacs on my linux machine in my office, set a server name
> and start an emacs server. Do work. Then, come home, ssh into the
> office, and run emacsclient and use the same buffers I was using at
> work. I'd like all of this to be in X windows, not in a TTY.
>
> i.e.
>
> host1 % echo DISPLAY
> localhost:0.0
> host1 % emacs...
> eval: (setq server-name "test1")
> eval: (start-server)
>
> <later>
>

> host1 % echo $DISPLAY
> localhost:14.0
> host1 % emacsclient -s test1 -c foo
> Waiting for Emacs...X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> *ERROR*: Connection lost to X server `localhost:14.0'
>

> However, if I run xterm at that same prompt, it comes up just fine.
>
> Can anyone let me know if what I want to do here is possible, and what
> I might be doing wrong?
>
> Thanks Very Much,

Look at this message,
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2009-09/threads.html.
The rest of the thread is also very instructive about how emacsclient
and tramp works.

GL

--
Suvayu

suvayu ali

Oct 30, 2009, 11:47:20 AM10/30/09
to Jim Barbour, help-gn...@gnu.org
Hi Jim,

I think my previous reply didn't go through, if this is a double post,
I apologise.

2009/10/26 Jim Barbour <jb...@barcore.com>:
> Hey Folks,

> Should I be able to run emacs and emacsclient on different displays?
>
> i.e. start emacs on my linux machine in my office, set a server name
> and start an emacs server.  Do work.  Then, come home, ssh into the
> office, and run emacsclient and use the same buffers I was using at
> work.   I'd like all of this to be in X windows, not in a TTY.
>
> i.e.
>
> host1 % echo DISPLAY
> localhost:0.0
> host1 % emacs...
> eval: (setq server-name "test1")
> eval: (start-server)
>
> <later>
>
> host1 % echo $DISPLAY
> localhost:14.0
> host1 % emacsclient -s test1 -c foo
> Waiting for Emacs...X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> *ERROR*: Connection lost to X server `localhost:14.0'
>
> However, if I run xterm at that same prompt, it comes up just fine.
>
> Can anyone let me know if what I want to do here is possible, and what
> I might be doing wrong?

Look at this message,

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2009-09/threads.html.
The rest of the thread is also very instructive about how emacsclient
and tramp works.

GL

Jim Barbour

Oct 30, 2009, 12:12:32 PM10/30/09
to suvayu ali, help-gn...@gnu.org
Hey Suvaya,

Could you be more specific which thread you're referring to?

The page you provided has a whole lot of them :)

Thanks,

Jim

Suvayu Ali

Oct 30, 2009, 1:40:33 PM10/30/09
Jim Barbour wrote:
> Hey Suvaya,
>
> Could you be more specific which thread you're referring to?
>
> The page you provided has a whole lot of them :)

I am extremely sorry Jim, its way too early in the morning for me and
copied the wrong URL. :-p

The post I was referring to is this one,
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2009-09/msg00100.html

Its part of the thread titled "Using tramp to connect to a remote emacs
session". Sorry about the mix-up. Shouldn't be posting so early in the
morning.