Hang with markdown-mode

Leo

Nov 25, 2013, 1:52:05 AM11/25/13
to help-gn...@gnu.org
The problem
-----------

I use markdown-mode 1.9 in emacs 24.3.1 and I get a consistent hang when I do the following:

1. Start emacs
2. Create a new file, say, with name changetest.txt.
3. Put (or keep) it in markdown-mode.
4. Write some text in changetest.txt and save the file to disc.
5. Switch to another buffer, so that that buffer changetest.txt is not
visible.
6. Open the file changetest.txt in another editor.
7. Change and save the content in this other editor.

You will get the message

changetest.txt changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y, n, r or C-h)

But then emacs will hang; no input will get you through the question prompt and keyboard-quit does nothing, so you have to kill emacs.

Results of my investigation
---------------------------

- The problem arises only in markdown mode.
- The "changed on disk" message is issued by
ask-user-about-supersession-threat.

Via debug-on-error I was able to locate the problem a bit more in detail:

- It seems like the hang occurs through an endless recursion or loop in markdown-check-change-for-wiki-link which is triggered when emacs switches to the changetest.txt buffer.
- markdown-check-change-for-wiki-link is triggered through the window-configuration-change-hook hook.

Questions
---------

- How can I avoid this, but keep the
markdown-check-change-for-wiki-link functionality?
- Is window-configuration-change-hook maybe not the right hook to put markdown-fontify-buffer-wiki-links in?

Thanks, Leo

Tim Visher

Nov 25, 2013, 6:36:38 AM11/25/13
to Leo, help-gn...@gnu.org
That sounds like a bug. You could report it to M. Blevins
(http://jblevins.org/projects/markdown-mode/markdown-mode.el), but be
advised that the latest version available on his site is 2.0 so you
might want to try upgrading before you report the bug.

leo

Nov 25, 2013, 7:53:04 AM11/25/13
to help-gn...@gnu.org
Still happens in 2.0.

I’m sure it’s a bug, but I’m interested in a suitable workaround: Where should fortifying normally be done: In the window-configuration-change-hook or elsewhere?

Thanks, Leo

Stefan Monnier

Nov 25, 2013, 8:30:16 AM11/25/13
to help-gn...@gnu.org
> Where should fontifying normally be done: In the
> window-configuration-change-hook or elsewhere?

I don't know what it does, but based on its name, I'd suggest it
could/should be done via font-lock-keywords.

Stefan

Joost Kremers

Nov 25, 2013, 11:06:17 AM11/25/13
Leo wrote:
> The problem
> -----------
>
> I use markdown-mode 1.9 in emacs 24.3.1 and I get a consistent hang when I do the following:
>
> 1. Start emacs
> 2. Create a new file, say, with name changetest.txt.
> 3. Put (or keep) it in markdown-mode.
> 4. Write some text in changetest.txt and save the file to disc.
> 5. Switch to another buffer, so that that buffer changetest.txt is not
> visible.
> 6. Open the file changetest.txt in another editor.
> 7. Change and save the content in this other editor.
>
> You will get the message
>
> changetest.txt changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y, n, r or C-h)
>
> But then emacs will hang; no input will get you through the question prompt and keyboard-quit does nothing, so you have to kill emacs.

I've actually run into the very same thing, although it was not with
Markdown mode (which I also use). Instead, it happened with org-mode
buffers that changed on disk because a new version of the file was
synced from Dropbox.

I haven't seen the bug in a while, however, and I haven't investigated
it. There are two things that changed since I saw the bug that might be
relevant: I downgraded from emacs-snapshot to the latest release 24.3.1
(though since you're using that same version, that probably isn't it)
and I unset `auto-save-visited-file-name`, which I used to have set.

Do you happen to have `auto-save-visited-file-name` set to t? And did
you try with `emacs -Q`?

--
Joost Kremers joostk...@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)

leo

Nov 26, 2013, 4:30:02 AM11/26/13
to Joost Kremers, help-gn...@gnu.org

On 26 Nov 2013, at 3:06 am, Joost Kremers <joost.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Leo wrote:
>> The problem
>> -----------
>>
>> I use markdown-mode 1.9 in emacs 24.3.1 and I get a consistent hang when I do the following:
>>
>> […]

> I've actually run into the very same thing, although it was not with
> Markdown mode (which I also use). Instead, it happened with org-mode
> buffers that changed on disk because a new version of the file was
> synced from Dropbox.

Yep, I experienced the issue first from Dropbox, too - just the external modification is causing the issue.

> […]
>
> Do you happen to have `auto-save-visited-file-name` set to t?

Checked `auto-save-visited-file-name’ and for me it’s (globally and otherwise) nil.

> And did you try with `emacs -Q`?

Just tried it - and I get the same problem (once I have loaded markdown-mode.el and applied it to a buffer).

Not sure how I can fix it — might try to take the fortifying out…

Cheers, Leo

daniel...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2014, 9:44:50 AM1/6/14
On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:30:02 AM UTC-5, leo wrote:
> >> The problem
>
> >> -----------
>

> >> I use markdown-mode 1.9 in emacs 24.3.1 and I get a consistent hang when I do the following:

[...]
> Not sure how I can fix it — might try to take the fortifying out…
>

> Cheers, Leo

Hello Leo,

Did you have any luck in solving this issue. I am having a nearly identical problem (Emacs 24.3.1 & Markdown 2.0) and have yet to find a solution.

Thanks,
Daniel

ne...@halloleo.hailmail.net

Mar 24, 2014, 1:56:26 AM3/24/14
On Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:44:50 AM UTC+11, daniel...@gmail.com wrote:

> [...]
>

> Hello Leo,
>

> Did you have any luck in solving this issue. I am having a nearly identical problem (Emacs 24.3.1 & Markdown 2.0) and have yet to find a solution.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Daniel

Hi Daniel

Yes, recently I have solved the problem by unbinding `markdown-fontify-buffer-wiki-links`:

(defun leo-markdown-fontify-buffer-wiki-links-empty ()
"Empty replacement for `markdown-fontify-buffer-wiki-links` due to hanging bug."
(interactive))

(eval-after-load "markdown-mode"
'(progn
(fset 'markdown-fontify-buffer-wiki-links
'leo-markdown-fontify-buffer-wiki-links-empty)))

But this is of course only a crutch...

HTH, Leo