Gnuchess 4.0 for DOS

Chua Kong Sian

Jan 28, 1993, 9:04:43 PM1/28/93

Hi folks. I have uploaded a file called 'gnuchs40.zip' to valkyries just
a minute ago. This version is compiled using DJGPP instead of Microsoft C
7.0 which resulted in executables that are smaller and twice as fast. It
however requires a 386 at least to run. I have informed the maintainer of
valkyries, so it should be either in the dos directory or the uploads
directory. Check for the most recent version.

For the unitiated, ftp to valkyries.andrew.cmu.edu.

Regards.

D. Campbell

Jan 29, 1993, 8:13:55 PM1/29/93
In article <1993Jan29.0...@nuscc.nus.sg> cce...@nuscc.nus.sg (Chua Kong Sian) writes:
>From: cce...@nuscc.nus.sg (Chua Kong Sian)
>Subject: Gnuchess 4.0 for DOS
>Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1993 02:04:43 GMT

I downloaded gnuchs40.zip, unzipped it, and put the three files noted in
the readme file into a subdirectory called "MISC." It gives an error message
on the order of "NO LANGFILE." I have tried multiple combinations directory
and subdirectory names and still the same error message. Could you give some
more explicit instructions?
Don Campbell

Chua Kong Sian

Jan 30, 1993, 10:50:10 PM1/30/93
camp...@slugo.hmsc.orst.edu (D. Campbell) writes:

Sorry about that folks. It seems that I hardcoded the MISC directory
instead of making it relative. Get the new gnuchs40.zip again at
valkyries and it will work fine.

Stuart,

The bug fixes that was mentioned in my README file has all been taken off
this list or have been reported to Mike. I have nothing new at the
moment. Sorry for any inconvenience caused to you.

Chua Kong Sian
National University of Singapore
cce...@nuscc.nus.sg

Mark Webb

Feb 1, 1993, 7:26:16 AM2/1/93
camp...@slugo.hmsc.orst.edu (D. Campbell) writes:

>I downloaded gnuchs40.zip, unzipped it, and put the three files noted in
>the readme file into a subdirectory called "MISC." It gives an error message
>on the order of "NO LANGFILE."

I had the same problem. Not wanting to let it beat me, I had a look
at the text strings in the binary gnuchess.exe and discovered that
the Language file needs to be in C:\GAMES\GNU40\MISC
It works fine and is, indeed twice as fast as the MSC 7.0 version.

To force it to play its best-more-so-far, press <RETURN>.

Clearer Instructions would have been nice.
--

Mark Webb mw...@maths.tcd.ie

Matthew W. L. Phelps

Feb 1, 1993, 2:39:52 PM2/1/93

>: >Hi folks. I have uploaded a file called 'gnuchs40.zip' to valkyries just
[etc.]

>: >
>: >For the unitiated, ftp to valkyries.andrew.cmu.edu.
>: >

What about those of us without FTP access. Would it be possible to post a
UUENCODED version of this here, or comp.binaries.ms-windows (Does it have a
Windows interface?), or some such place? It would be greatly appreciated.

>Chua Kong Sian
>National University of Singapore
>cce...@nuscc.nus.sg

Thank you for your efforts.

Matthew W. L. Phelps mph...@amama.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp. "My stuff, not DEC's"

Transaction Processing Systems Engineering, Littleton, MA, USA

Chua Kong Sian

Feb 1, 1993, 8:42:26 PM2/1/93

Just to clarify a couple of things again. The above is a direct port of
Gnuchess 4.0 pl 60 to MSDOS. It is not a windows version (anybody with
time on their hands to try this one? I don't mind giving it a shot, but
sometimes "real work" gets in). Someone else might also like to get it
compiled for OS/2, which I don't have. The bug fixes which I mentioned in
the README have all been reported to the development team.

I just ftp-ed into valkyries and found that the zip file is residing in
pub/chess/uploads/doschess.old. It should be dated 31 Jan 93. I've
found other files located in pub/chess/DOS and pub/chess/doschess which
are the older versions (Microsoft C compiled). Don't get those. The zip
filed dated 31 Jan 93 should not give any more 'NO LANGFILE' error.

As to those without ftp access, I'll try and get a uuencoded copy posted
somewhere. I'll keep this list informed. Regards.

Chua Kong Sian
cce...@nuscc.nus.sg

bastin gary 60293

Feb 2, 1993, 1:42:58 PM2/2/93
I ftp'ed the Jan 31 Gnuchess 4.0 file from valkyries, unzipped it,
and tried to run it. Unfortunately, after picking the time controls,
an error message appears: segmentation violation in pointer 0x0000
0000 at 18:154a. Any ideas? The EMM386 memory manager is loaded.

Thanks in advance!

--
Gary Bastin, WB4YAF /-/-/ Internet: gba...@x102a.ess.harris.com
Mail Stop 22A-4858 | phone: (407) 729-3045

Chua Kong Sian

Feb 2, 1993, 8:06:40 PM2/2/93
gba...@x102a.ess.harris.com (bastin gary 60293) writes:
: I ftp'ed the Jan 31 Gnuchess 4.0 file from valkyries, unzipped it,

I haven't figured that one out yet. Just ignore it for the moment.
Gnuchess appears to work fine notwithstanding.

Chua Kong Sian
cce...@nuscc.nus.sg