Glowroot Cental Collector - SSL

ravj...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2017, 2:28:49 PM4/25/17
to Glowroot
Hello,

I have been successful in installing glowroot collector and agent end to end and able to see the data as well. The installation was seamless and easy.

Now I am trying to enable the SSL. Below are few questions i have.

1. How do i enable SSL config via glowroot-central.properties file? Peeked into the source code and couldnt find an option to enable this. I already have the necessary certificates generated as per the requirement.

The SSL certificate and private key to be used must be placed in the /opt/glowroot/. with filenames certificate.pem and private.pem before enabling HTTPS. The private key should not have a passphrase. E.g. a self signed certificate can be generated at the command line using openssl req -new -x509 -nodes -days 365 -out certificate.pem -keyout private.pem

2. Do we support SSL for the GRPC agent port 8181?

3. If the answer to 2 is yes, if I am using self signed private certs, how do we go about mounting a truststore so that Certificates are trusted.

I did search documentation and also forums. But couldnt find relevant information pertaining to above.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Thanks,
Ravikanth

Trask Stalnaker

Apr 26, 2017, 1:03:51 AM4/26/17
to Glowroot
1.  Select the SSL checkbox in the web config, e.g. https://demo.glowroot.org/admin/web, and when you save, it should immediately stop serving http, and start serving https, and redirect your browser to https://...

If this isn't working, please post the glowroot central log file.

2.  This is a good question, I'm not sure, I will look into it and get back to you.

Thanks,
Trask

Ravikanth Janga

Apr 26, 2017, 1:18:19 AM4/26/17
to Trask Stalnaker, Glowroot

Hi,

Please see inline.

From: <glow...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Trask Stalnaker <trask.s...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 10:03 PM
To: Glowroot <glow...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Glowroot Cental Collector - SSL

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 11:28:49 AM UTC-7, ravjanga wrote:

[...]

Trask Stalnaker

Apr 26, 2017, 2:25:50 AM4/26/17
to Glowroot, trask.s...@gmail.com
You could start glowroot central the first time to create the cassandra schema, then stop glowroot central and insert the initial web config that you want directly into cassandra:

insert into central_config (key, value) values ('web', '{"https":true}');

then start glowroot central back up and it should be running with https.

Ravikanth Janga

Apr 26, 2017, 2:03:20 PM4/26/17
to Trask Stalnaker, Glowroot

Sure. I will try this out. For now we solved this on our side itself by having a SSL enabled Front Load balancer.

Thank you for the excellent support.

Thanks,

Ravikanth

From: <glow...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Trask Stalnaker <trask.s...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 10:03 PM
To: Glowroot <glow...@googlegroups.com>

1.  Select the SSL checkbox in the web config, e.g. https://demo.glowroot.org/admin/web, and when you save, it should immediately stop serving http, and start serving https, and redirect your browser to https://...

Trask Stalnaker

Apr 27, 2017, 4:51:36 AM4/27/17
to Glowroot, trask.s...@gmail.com
I created a github issue for supporting gRPC over SSL: https://github.com/glowroot/glowroot/issues/205