Updated SoilGrids250m now available from SoilGrids.org (Geoserver), FTP and REST.SoilGrids.org

Tomislav Hengl

Apr 26, 2017, 2:37:05 PM4/26/17
to global-soil...@googlegroups.com, Mario Guevara, Geng, Xiaoyuan, david.hi...@gov.ab.ca, Jeff.H...@ars.usda.gov, maurits.va...@jrc.ec.europa.eu, FOLBERTH Christian, Amanda Ramcharan, Stoorvogel, Jetse, Brigitta Tóth

This is to inform you that we have run a systematic update of the
SoilGrids250m spatial predictions, mainly to correct some more serious
errors and artifacts
(https://github.com/ISRICWorldSoil/SoilGrids250m/issues/), but also to
further optimize computation and use of maps. The updated data you can
access from:

- FTP at: ftp://ftp.soilgrids.org/data/recent/
- REST SoilGrids at: https://rest.soilgrids.org/
- ISRIC's Web Coverage Service at: http://webservices.isric.org/geoserver

*FTP provides direct access to global mosaics, REST provides API for
fetching data at point locations, and ISRIC WCS can be used to subset,
resample, reproject and download SoilGrids for local areas.

All maps are also available for visual exploration at
https://soilgrids.org/

What is new in the SoilGrids250m update 10 March 2017:

- Numerous bugs e.g. missing values in bulk density for organic soils
(https://github.com/ISRICWorldSoil/SoilGrids250m/issues/27) and
clay/sand content jumps on the USA/Mexico border
(https://github.com/ISRICWorldSoil/SoilGrids250m/issues/25) have now
been fixed.
- Additional soil profiles from several project (AfSIS, ISCN project)
were added to model training, including ca 2000 points from the Soil
Mangrove DB.
- We now consistently use the water mask provided by the ESA CC Land
cover map from 2010 (https://www.esa-landcover-cci.org/).
- All values of organic carbon stock have been corrected for the newly
produced maps of depth to bedrock
(http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/2016MS000686) and for missing values in bulk
density.
- Technical metadata has been added directly in the Geotiff, so that
GDALInfo on any layer should immediately reveal: layer description,
measurement units, reference, data license and similar. A large portion
of question we received via mailing list actually addressed issue of
GeoTiffs missing description of codes and production steps.
- All newly uploaded SoilGrids250m will also be gradually made available
via ISRIC's WCS via http://geonode.isric.org (on-demand aggregation,
export, visualization and subsetting of rasters).

Most importantly, we have removed the soil-wall on the USA/Mexico border!

The previous versions of SoilGrids you can at any time access from:
ftp://ftp.soilgrids.org/data/archive/
Next steps within the SoilGrids project will include:

- Importing all SoilGrids layers to Google Earth Engine and making a
consistent collection for public use.
- Updating SoilGrids.org app and the SoilInfo App to incorporate all new
data layers and functionalities.
- Preparing tools to allow users to upload and download point data and
provide feedback (especially the local soil experts).
- Incorporating photographs of soil and soil-landscape aspects into
soilgrids.org.
- Preparing for the October 2017 update of predictions (especially to
further improve the soil organic carbon stock map of the world).

If you still discover artifacts or over/under-predictions of soil
properties and/or classes, please report bugs or development requests via:

https://github.com/ISRICWorldSoil/SoilGrids250m/issues

For technical questions and support please use our mailing list:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/global-soil-information

To cite SoilGrids250m please use:

Hengl T, Mendes de Jesus J, Heuvelink GBM, Ruiperez Gonzalez M,
Kilibarda M, Blagotić A, et al. (2017) SoilGrids250m: Global gridded
soil information based on machine learning. PLoS ONE 12(2): e0169748.
https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0169748

To cite soil profile data please use:

Batjes, N. H., Ribeiro, E., van Oostrum, A., Leenaars, J., Hengl, T., &
de Jesus, J. M. (2017). WoSIS: providing standardised soil profile data
for the world. Earth System Science Data, 9(1), 1.
http://www.earth-syst-sci-data.net/9/1/2017/essd-9-1-2017.pdf

Thank you for your patience and our apologies for some delays with
making all corrections. Many thanks especially to Mario Guevara, Robert
MacMillan, Wei Shangguan, and Xiaoyuan Geng for providing feedback and
for helping with data importing and running computing. Without your
feedback we would not have been able to detect, correct and improve
SoilGrids! A special thanks also to Milan Kilibarda for helping with
setting up web services and the SoilGrids apps.

If you are at EGU 2017, please join us on a session on SoilGrids:
SC16/SSS13.12

Accessing and using global soil data (co-organized)
Fri, 28 Apr, 10:30–12:00 / Room -2.91
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2017/session/25193

Please also note that we will run a post-Pedometrics2017.org conference
workshop in Wageningen on Open Soil data services and technology in
July, so if you are attending the Pedometrics conference please consider
also staying few extra days in Wageningen:

Mobile Apps and Geo-services for Open Soil Data workshop 2→4 July 2017,
Wageningen University campus;
http://gsif.isric.org/doku.php/wiki:workshop_2017

yours,

T. (Tom) Hengl, E. (Eloi) Ribeiro and N. (Niels) Batjes
GSIF development team
ISRIC — World Soil Information, Wageningen

David Hildebrands

Apr 26, 2017, 5:32:26 PM4/26/17
to Global Soil Information, mgue...@udel.edu, Xiaoyu...@agr.gc.ca, david.hi...@gov.ab.ca, Jeff.H...@ars.usda.gov, maurits.va...@jrc.ec.europa.eu, folb...@iiasa.ac.at, a.m.ra...@gmail.com, jetse.st...@wur.nl, tothbrig...@gmail.com
I'm glad to see additional metadata (much needed).  I have no trouble with the FTP server (ftp.soilsgrid.org).  However, I am having issues with direct connectivity in ArcMap.

Using http://webservices.isric.org/geoserver/wcs I get "No resource could be found at that address."

Using http://webservices.isric.org/geoserver I get "Failed to connect to the server."

Using http://wfs.isric.org/geoserver/wosis/wfs when I try to convert WFS to ArcGIS features also gives me an error.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

David Hildebrand

Eloi Ribeiro

Apr 27, 2017, 2:11:07 AM4/27/17
to Global Soil Information, mgue...@udel.edu, Xiaoyu...@agr.gc.ca, david.hi...@gov.ab.ca, Jeff.H...@ars.usda.gov, maurits.va...@jrc.ec.europa.eu, folb...@iiasa.ac.at, a.m.ra...@gmail.com, jetse.st...@wur.nl, tothbrig...@gmail.com
GeoServer is now up and running with the new updated layers.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
cheers,
eloi