NEMA Nozzle Loadings

glbmail.com

Mar 6, 2011, 12:16:47 AM3/6/11
to glbma...@googlegroups.com

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: BANI MITRA <bani...@yahoo.com>
To: Piping...@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, 6 March, 2011 12:42:45 AM
Subject: Re: [PipingDesign] NEMA Nozzle Loadings

And popular pipe stress analysis programs will generate a report (Rotating Equipment Nozzle Reaction) and that will show if the piping run has satisfied the requirement of the codes like SM-23 (steam turbine), API-610 (Pumps) and so on.

For larger steam turbines, all manufacturers have their own requirement of allowable terminal reactions - forces and moments. I have seen some turbine manufacturers have limitations on individual nozzle reactions (main steam, cold reheat, hot reheat, steam extractions and steam condenser connections) and also limitations of combined reactions transferred on the support anchor and keys of every cylinder (Like HP, IP and LP casings) when all piping connections to the same cylinder are acting simultaneously. I have also seen additional requirements of allowable reactions in the shutdown condition when the top casing of the turbine cylinder is removed for maintenance (from the piping self spriging effects).

Regards,

Bani K. Mitra
2011-03-05

From: Paul Bowers <pbo...@pipingdesign.com>
Subject: [PipingDesign] NEMA Nozzle Loadings
To: Piping...@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, March 5, 2011, 2:06 PM

Someone tipped me off about NEMA SM 23.

Anyone got any further info or insight?

Paul

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
PipingOffice - Excel Spreadsheets for Piping Calculations
http://www.pipingoffice.us/
Main site: http://www.pipingdesign.com
.

__,_._,___

glbmail.com

Mar 8, 2011, 12:31:39 AM3/8/11
to glbma...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

Compressors also use NEMA SM-23 to check nozzle loading condition. I'm now doing pipe stress analysis connected to 3 stages reciprocating compressors. What i'm doing for checking nozzle loading at Compressors is calculate 3 stages separatly in term of NEMA check as follows:

1. Nozzle inlet TO 1st stage and nozzle outlet FROM 1st stage (combine)
2. Nozzle inlet TO 2nd stage and nozzle outlet FROM 2nd stage (combine)
3. Nozzle inlet TO 3rd stage and nozzle outlet FROM 3rd stage (combine)

Should all 3 inlet nozzles and 3 outlet nozzle be checked together in 1 calculation in term of NEMA check and combine all of them together. So, I add 3 nozzles inlet and 3 nozzles outlet at NEMA CII software.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 6, 2011, at 5:51 AM, "M. Engineer" <kah...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> NEMA SM-23 standard is for steam turbine drives. It has stringent piping allowable loads on steam turbine nozzle. To satisfy NEMA SM-23 allowable loads on steam turbine, the resultant combined piping loads on all nozzles have to be considered