Horizontal boxplot and faceting

Thomas Siegmund

Apr 8, 2010, 11:00:52 AM4/8/10
to ggplot2
Hi everybody,

first post here, so: Thanks a lot for this cool package!

My question: I have boxplots in a horizontal facet grid. Works fine:

set <- factor(rep(1:3, each=40), labels=c("Compound A","Compound
B","Vehicle"))
animal <- factor(rep(1:6, each=20),
labels=c("T36","T41","T34","T60","T23","T61"))
result <- rnorm(120)
test <- data.frame(set, animal, result)
p <- ggplot(test, aes(animal, result))

p + layer(geom= "boxplot") + facet_grid(. ~ set, space="free",
scales="free_x")

Now I'd like to rotate the layout by 90 degrees to have horizontal
boxplots arranged in a vertical grid, similar to Fig. 7.6 in the
gglpot2 book.

I tried:

p + layer(geom= "boxplot") + coord_flip() + facet_grid(set ~ .,
space="free", scales="free_x");

Now the '"space="free", scales="free_x"' doesn't work any more. Each
facet wastes space for all six animals. Any ideas?

Thanks

Thomas

Bahama

Apr 13, 2010, 3:55:14 PM4/13/10
to ggplot2
I am having similar problems and would be very interested if you've
resolved this, Thomas. Thanks.

- Bahama

hadley wickham

Apr 13, 2010, 5:19:24 PM4/13/10
to Thomas Siegmund, ggplot2
Hi Thomas,

The problem is that I've never figured out how free scales and
coordinate systems should interact, and so all coordinate systems
apart from the basic coord_cartesian() cause free scales to be
ignored.

Unfortunately I don't have any bright ideas on how to work around it.

Hadley

> --

http://had.co.nz/

Samer MOUKSASSI

Apr 27, 2015, 5:43:20 PM4/27/15
to ggp...@googlegroups.com, sieg...@develogen.com
Maybe a solution is to have a horizontal boxplot geom. similar to when  an error bar horizontal was later added.

IRich

Apr 30, 2015, 4:13:39 AM4/30/15
to ggp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas, I just had a thread similar to yours, called "facet x-axis". It works for my problem. Now I have to figure out how to adjust the bar width.

/Inga