New feature - online print archive

James Adam

May 16, 2012, 3:46:38 PM5/16/12
to gfr-p...@googlegroups.com
I've just deployed a new feature - find it by visiting http://printer.gofreerange.com, clicking on "Got a printer?" in the top left, and then "View Print Archive".

At the moment, all it does is display a recent history of what has been sent for printing at that printer, but it points at a couple of new features I'm hoping to add soon. It generates the archive from the actual bit rasters used to control the printer, so it should be a reasonably accurate facsimile of what was printed.

Firstly, I'm hoping to change the preview mechanism to also use this mechanism, which will result in much more realistic previews of images and fonts (see https://github.com/freerange/printer/issues/5).

Secondly, I'm hoping to add the ability to request that an older print be sent to the printer again. This should make it easier to test problems with the printers themselves, such as tuning the darkness/heat settings.

Anyway, hopefully you'll find that interesting and/or useful. As ever, if you have any problems, feel free to post here, or file an issue on github (http://github.com/freerange/printer/issues).

All the best,

- James