Custom entries and categories to Timeline

Kelly Stuard

Jul 26, 2013, 5:55:39 PM7/26/13
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to make a new timeline category (let's say Azure) and have all calls to it track under that new category. Since Azure is not designed to be intercepted, I'm figuring I have to put some Glimpse code before and after the calls. Trouble is, that I can't find any documentation on what that code would be.

Can anyone point me to documentation or roughly point me in the right direction? I'm all for delving into the source, if need be; just a point to dive in should be enough.

Mark Heimann

Jul 29, 2013, 5:12:20 AM7/29/13
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

we did this for one of our projects and it is indeed a bit complicated. What you need to do (sorry in advance for being a bit short on time right now):

- Retrieve the "GlimpseRuntime" object from the HttpContext (-> e.g. HttpContext.Current.Application.Get("__GlimpseRuntime"))
- Then publish an ITimelineMessage to the MessageBroker: GlimpseRuntime.Configuration.MessageBroker.Publish(timelineMessage)
- To populate the properties of your ITimelineMessage implementation you might also need Glimpse's ExecutionTimer (-> HttpContext.Current.Application.Get("__GlimpseTimer"))

Hope this helps a bit at least :)

Nik Molnar

Aug 2, 2013, 1:57:55 PM8/2/13
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
This is a scenario we've wanted to simplify for a long time. (We actually had it in the beta timeframe...)

I've opened a PR to start tracking the actual work against it: https://github.com/Glimpse/Glimpse/pull/302

Thanks,
Nik