Shared references?

Josef Eckert

Jun 27, 2012, 1:39:42 PM6/27/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
Hi gang,

I recently put up a request for references on our local departmental listserv, and someone helpfully redirected my inquiry here (hehe, at least we know word's out).  But this lead me to a bigger question:

Would a shared Zotero library of geoweb references be useful to anyone else?  I've worked on a number of collaborative projects that use these shared libraries to ground one another in literature.  Having a shared repository for this sort of stuff might inflate our citation index by making articles easier to find.

If I get some positive responses, I'd be happy to set up the library and help curate duplicate entries.  I just finished our first set of exams and am readying to take the second in the fall, so I'll be producing references anyways.  I just think we (academics) wind up navigating horrendous library/database systems and reinventing the wheel each time one of us has to build up a literature review.  It'd be handy to have them in a shared repository.

TL;DR: Would you be interested in a shared Zotero library (Y/N)?

peace,
~joe

Matthew Zook

Jun 27, 2012, 2:06:40 PM6/27/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com

Joe,

This sounds like a great idea.  I think it would be really helpful to have something like this and there are several people working through similar exams right now.

Matt

francesca recchia

Jun 27, 2012, 2:15:21 PM6/27/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com

Josef Eckert

Jun 27, 2012, 3:56:10 PM6/27/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
Groovy, sounds like we've got enough heads that are interested.  I'll make one, seed it with my limited repository, and then figure out how to share this.  If you'd like in on this, would you be kind enough to (privately) send me the e-mail associated with your Zotero account?  I'll send invites out that way, and then we can discuss whether you'd like the repository to be public or not.  I'm also happy to send out invites to anyone that suspects that they might be a "free rider" -- for me, visibility and a shared corpus trumps whether or not you have the ability or desire to contribute now.  Maybe you'll wind up using it and finding out that it's cool enough to contribute to.  So don't hesitate to send along those e-mails!

cheers,
~joe

Jeroen Verplanke

Jun 28, 2012, 3:54:04 AM6/28/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com

Great idea.

I’m not familiar with Zotero, I’m used to organize and share refs  via Mendeley. Is that something similar?

Jeroen

Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
University of Twente
Chamber of Commerce: 501305360000

E-mail disclaimer
The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in relation to the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete the message and any attachment and inform the sender by return e-mail. ITC accepts no liability for any error or omission in the message content or for damage of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

FloFi

Jun 28, 2012, 4:37:43 AM6/28/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
I'm in - great idea!

cheers,
Flo

--
Dr. Florian Fischer | Associate Researcher
Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet und Society

Josef Eckert

Jun 28, 2012, 8:59:21 AM6/28/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
Pretty similar, Jeroren.  It's another free, open source bibliographic manager.  I've never used it before, but I think the major difference I spot from the documentation is that Zotero doesn't come with a PDF reader to highlight/annotate (and that's a pretty nifty option, honestly, although I generally just use that function in my standard PDF reader).  They should export/import into one another pretty easily.  You *should* be able to do straight-up web access w/Zotero shares as well, so you might not even have to install Zotero.  Not really sure.

cheers,
~joe

p.s.  just checked out Mendeley's FAQ -- it should be pretty darn easy to get references in and out when working with Zotero:  http://www.mendeley.com/faq/#import-from-zotero

Babiga Birregah

Jun 28, 2012, 3:10:38 PM6/28/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com, joeec...@gmail.com
Great initiative!
+ 1!
regards

2012/6/28 Josef Eckert <joeec...@gmail.com>

BIRREGAH Babiga, Phd
Enseignant-Chercheur/ Assistant professor
ICD UMR-CNRS 6279 STMR
Sciences et Technologies pour la Maîtrise des Risques
Joint Research Unit in Sciences and Technologies for Risk Management
UTT - HETIC - CREIDD, T229
http://creidd.utt.fr/fr/index.html
12 rue Marie Curie,
BP. 2060 - 10010 Troyes CEDEX
Tél. 0325715869

ryan burns

Jun 28, 2012, 4:18:17 PM6/28/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
me too! me too! under my burn...@gmail.com please. i'll add the refs there instead of emailing you directly
--
Department of Geography
University of Washington

Burn...@gmail.com
rlb...@uw.edu
859-582-9125
students.washington.edu/rlburns

ryan burns

Jun 28, 2012, 4:18:51 PM6/28/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
meant for joe, but i guess i'm cool with that going out to everyone... :)

Josef Eckert

Jun 28, 2012, 5:00:07 PM6/28/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
Cool.  Everyone who has sent me an e-mail so far should have an invite to the Zotero library.  I hope you'll all contribute!  I have seeded with one exceedingly sloppy folder labeled "Geoweb."  It contains a bunch of stuff, some more geowebby than others.  Once we have the contributions of a few people, we can talk about some more meaningful curation method (or we can just let freeform tagging do its thing).

You don't need to use Zotero as a bibliographic software to view the current list.  You can view that list here:  https://www.zotero.org/groups/geoweb/items

Unfortunately, it's a pain to read, so we'll do a text-file export once we get some more contributions.  Also, since I'm the "owner" and can only afford the free level of storage, I'm afraid we'll have to do without PDF storage for now.  If you have linked PDFs, kindly delete them after you import them.

If you're not using Zotero as your bibliographic software, you'll find it difficult to contribute (although you have that option via a form entry field -- this is a royal PITA, and I don't recommend it).

Even if you don't plan on using it as your main bibliographic software, exporting your current collection in a BibTex/RIS format and importing it back into Zotero is fairly fast and painless.  I've heard good things about Mendeley and Papers in this regard.  Have no clue about EndNote.  And if you don't have a bibliographic software that can strip metadata from Google Scholar, I'd *really* encourage giving Zotero a shot.

At the moment, the bibliography is publicly accessible, but can only be edited by those who gave me e-mail addresses. I can change this if folks like.  I'd also like it if a few others would volunteer to be gatekeepers.

If someone was super-crafty, they could always code a script that displays group library information on a website in Annals format...just a thought.

peace,
~joe

Josef Eckert

Jun 28, 2012, 5:01:23 PM6/28/12
to ryan burns, geow...@googlegroups.com
Also, I goobed your access settings initially.  Should be fixed now.

If you need me, I'll be on the patio. <3
~joe

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 1:58 PM, ryan burns <burn...@gmail.com> wrote:
what access privileges are you setting? looks like i can't change anything; read-only. don't know if you want to give out write and modify privileges, just wondering what the settings are currently...

Britta Ricker peters

Jun 28, 2012, 5:27:11 PM6/28/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
Add Me too please!
Thanks Joe!

Best,

Britta

Sent from a tablet computer making me look like the statue of liberty.

Josef Eckert

Jun 28, 2012, 5:37:21 PM6/28/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com

Love your signature! Will do once I'm off the patio and back in the office.

~joe

Sent from a person fumbling with a phone.

jessibreen

Jul 5, 2012, 10:12:37 AM7/5/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

Can you add me too? I just sent you a request to join the group within Zotero.

Cheers,
Jessi

~joe

francesca

[...]

Josef Eckert

Jul 5, 2012, 10:57:19 AM7/5/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
Hi gang,

I should be caught up on all the requested invitations for the Geoweb-R bibliography.  It turns out that you can actually request access to the library through the Zotero website (thanks, Jessi!) so you'll likely get a faster turn-around that way.  Thanks to everyone who's already added stuff (although you just made my reading list a LOT longer).  If you missed it the first time around, the address is here:

And it's getting to be a pretty substantial list.  We've added sub-collections for critical GIS, internet geography, and tech & society.  Please feel free to add more sub-collections as you see fit, so long as you think they might be useful to users of this list.

peace,
~joe

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/geoweb-r/-/kVShbkmsgoUJ.

Mark Graham

Jul 5, 2012, 11:02:54 AM7/5/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone who has put this together!! Very very useful.

A quick note on the URLs embedded in the database. A few of them seem to be copy-pasted from behind university/closed systems (that will necessarily only work if you are at that university). Kirsch, 1995 for instance has an embedded URL of (http://www.envplan.com.ezproxy.uky.edu/abstract.cgi?id=d130529) when really it should have (http://www.envplan.com/abstract.cgi?id=d130529). Not a major problem, but something to look out for when adding or using content in the system.

Otherwise, great work everyone!
Mark
Mark Graham, Ph.D.

Research Fellow
Oxford Internet Institute
University of Oxford

Brent Hecht

Jul 5, 2012, 11:17:57 AM7/5/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

While we're on the topic, I noticed that computer science is quite absent from this (otherwise awesome) list. Anyone have objections to me dumping a whole lot of CS into the library, particularly stuff from HCI? HCI has a ton of relevant literature.

- Brent

Brent Hecht
Ph.D. Candidate in Computer Science @ Northwestern University
Asst. Prof. of Comp. Sci @ Univ. Minnesota beginning 2013
w: http://www.brenthecht.com
e: br...@u.northwestern.edu
t: @bhecht

> --
>

> --
>
> francesca recchia
> @kiccovich
>

> http://muftah.org/art+culture/
>
> http://www.klatmagazine.com/wanderdust
>
> travel-snippets.tumblr.com
>
> http://about.me/francescarecchia
>

> --
>

> --
>

> Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
> University of Twente
> Chamber of Commerce: 501305360000
>
> E-mail disclaimer
> The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in relation to the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete the message and any attachment and inform the sender by return e-mail. ITC accepts no liability for any error or omission in the message content or for damage of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
>
> --
>

> --
> Department of Geography
> University of Washington
>
> Burn...@gmail.com
> rlb...@uw.edu
> 859-582-9125
> students.washington.edu/rlburns
>

> --
> Department of Geography
> University of Washington
>
> Burn...@gmail.com
> rlb...@uw.edu
> 859-582-9125
> students.washington.edu/rlburns

Josef Eckert

Jul 5, 2012, 11:24:32 AM7/5/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I'm afraid the way that Zotero scrapes citation information is going to cause some problems with the links if folks are scraping from their university databases.  Remember that anyone can actually change that information (if I managed our settings correctly). So if you spot something like that, please fix the link for everyone's benefit -- I've gone ahead and fixed Kirsch 1995. :)

And no objection to the addition to CS stuff!  Just remember to use the subcollections. :)

peace,
~joe

Brent Hecht

Jul 9, 2012, 8:22:25 PM7/9/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Just completed my computer science / HCI upload to the Zotero group. A lot of it is really relevant to what we all are doing. Let me know if you need a pointer in a particular direction!

- B

Brent Hecht
Ph.D. Candidate in Computer Science @ Northwestern University
Asst. Prof. of Comp. Sci @ Univ. Minnesota beginning 2013
w: http://www.brenthecht.com
e: br...@u.northwestern.edu
t: @bhecht

Kurt

Jul 13, 2012, 1:11:35 AM7/13/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

Thanks for all the work putting this together ... I've just had a browse of the list, what a fantastic resource! I'm new to the group, and already very glad to have joined. Will send through some further refs soon too.

Cheers,
Kurt Iveson

:::

Kurt Iveson
Senior Lecturer in Urban Geography
School of Geosciences
University of Sydney
NSW 2006
Australia

T +61 2 9351 3627
F +61 2 9351 2442
kurt....@sydney.edu.au
W http://sydney.edu.au/science/geosciences/people/st_iveson.shtml

Blog:
http://citiesandcitizenship.blogspot.com

Balazs Lengyel

Jul 13, 2012, 6:06:28 AM7/13/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Joe for inviting me as well, I will do my best.
+1
Balazs
Budapest

2012/7/13 Kurt <kurt....@sydney.edu.au>

http://blengyel.wordpress.com

Scott Rodgers

Jul 13, 2012, 7:02:52 AM7/13/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

This is indeed an incredible resource. I have some references to add which may be useful, and will do so as soon as possible.

Scott

___________________________________

Dr Scott Rodgers

Lecturer in Media Theory

Programme Director, BA Journalism and Media

Department of Media and Cultural Studies
Birkbeck, University of London
Malet Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1E 7HX

Tel: +44 (0) 203 073 8370

Email: s.ro...@bbk.ac.uk

Blog and personal website: http://www.publiclysited.com/

Birkbeck website: http://www.bbk.ac.uk/culture/our-staff/scott-rodgers

Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 22:11:35 -0700
From: kurt....@sydney.edu.au
To: geow...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [geoweb-r] Re: Shared references?

Gwilym Eades

Jul 13, 2012, 8:42:29 AM7/13/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm still figuring the system out, but I thought you might want to add my diss to the bibliography

Eades Gwilym  2010  Geoweb: Indigenous Mapping of Intergenerational Knowledge  Unpublished Dissertation, Department of Geography, McGill University, Montreal

Thanks
Gwilym
--

Gwilym Lucas Eades
Strata360

Josef Eckert

Jul 13, 2012, 9:41:35 AM7/13/12
to geow...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eades,

If you're just looking at the website, you can visit here:  https://www.zotero.org/groups/geoweb/items

Click the green + sign on the upper right hand side.  Select manuscript.  Add your piece.

If you're using the Zotero software, the Geoweb collection (dk brown folder) will be near the bottom of your library list on the left now that I've ok'd your application.  Click the Geoweb subcollection (yellow folder), and click the green plus at the top of your screen to add something to that folder.

Zotero can also "scrape" this information off of a library website or Google Scholar if you're using the software. This documentation will show you:  http://www.zotero.org/support/getting_stuff_into_your_library

Teach a person to fish, etc.

cheers,
~joe