Re: [geo] The History of Weather Control (Interactive timeline)

Fred Zimmerman

Mar 28, 2013, 3:23:32 PM3/28/13
to rez...@gmail.com, geoengi...@googlegroups.com
Very nice!

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Jim Lee <rez...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would like to extend an invitation to everyone in this community to please browse, share, and fact check an interactive javascript timeline based on weather modification and geoengineering.
As we all know there is not a definitive history of weather control, therefore I have put much effort into creating one.  This page will grow over time, with many additions/corrections.
Each slide has an image, with reference links beneath the image.
Please send me any links to other timelines and reference material that can help me flesh this story out.

The History of Weather Control
http://www.terraforminginc.com/weather-control/

Thank you for your time.

Jim Lee
http://www.terraforminginc.com/
http://www.climateviewer.com/

Stephen Salter

Mar 29, 2013, 6:24:48 AM3/29/13
to geoengi...@googlegroups.com
Jim

The use of the word 'weather' rather than 'climate' may annoy some people.

Stephen
--
Emeritus Professor of Engineering Design School of Engineering University of Edinburgh Mayfield Road Edinburgh EH9 3JL Scotland S.Sa...@ed.ac.uk Tel +44 (0)131 650 5704 Cell 07795 203 195 WWW.see.ed.ac.uk/~shs

Ken Caldeira

Mar 29, 2013, 9:59:51 AM3/29/13
to Stephen Salter, geoengineering
A lot of what is on the timeline is about "weather", so "weather modification" is an appropriate label.

As an academic, I would like to think the academic literature is a bit more important. I would include citations to Budyko, Early, etc.

The main concern with this is the inclusion of what might be irrelevancies. For example, why is HAARP important except for its relationship to conspiracy theories?

_______________
Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution for Science
Dept of Global Ecology
260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab  @kencaldeira

Caldeira Lab is hiring postdoctoral researchers.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

eugg...@comcast.net

Mar 29, 2013, 10:11:19 AM3/29/13
to kcal...@gmail.com, geoengineering, Stephen Salter
As long as I can remember people have experimented with weather modification.
It is very localized and has a very short timeline. This contrasts with geoengineering which deals with climate over large areas and over long times. Is the goal to expand the scope of geoengineering to weather as well as climate? if so I think it deserves some discussion by the group.

Mar 29, 2013, 10:17:50 AM3/29/13
to kcal...@gmail.com, Stephen Salter, geoengineering
A few more detailed comments.

I think the visual design of the timeline is very nice. I think it is also interesting to see how things get busier as we move to the right!   It will be a challenge to figure out how to represent it visually when there are hundreds of new articles and projects every year.

I agree with Ken's recommendations. For the tool to be widely accepted, you have to pare down the references to focus on what is most credible, peer reviewed, objectively grounded.

I would allow the use of "weather" as I found that I enjoyed the historical items at the beginning, but maybe at some point you need to show a "branching" at the historical point where climate engineering begins to branch off from weather modification.

---
Fred Zimmerman
Geoengineering IT!

Ken Caldeira

Mar 29, 2013, 2:15:23 PM3/29/13
to Jim Lee, geoengi...@googlegroups.com, Stephen Salter
Budyko (1974) is often credited with the concept of putting sulfate aerosols in the stratosphere to alter climate.

Budyko, M. I. 1974 Izmeniya Klimata. Gidrometeoizdat, also published as: Budyko, M. I. 1977 Climatic changes (transl. Izmeniia Klimata Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat, 1974). Washington, DC: American Geophysical Union.

Early (1989) is often credited with first proposing a space-based "shield"

Early J. T.(1989), "Space-Based Solar Shield To Offset Greenhouse Effect", Journal of the British Interplanetary Society 42: 567–569, Bibcode 1989JBIS...42..567E

For better or worse, Bala Govindasamy and I had the first peer-reviewed paper (attached) to use a general circulation climate model to investigate a geoengineering scheme.  We cited both Budyko and Early to motivate our study.

Govindasamy, B & K. Caldeira (2000) Geoengineering Earth's radiation balance to mitigate CO2-induced climate change. Geophysical Research Letters  272141–2144,DOI: 10.1029/1999GL006086.

_______________
Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution for Science
Dept of Global Ecology
260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab  @kencaldeira

Caldeira Lab is hiring postdoctoral researchers.

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Jim Lee <rez...@gmail.com> wrote:
Regarding "Budyko, Early,"  Can you provide me with links to any important research you feel should be included?
I do not ascribe to conspiracy theories, only fact. HAARP can do the following in regards to modifying the climate:
You might say the only conspiracy is how all this goes on for fifty years and you seem to have no clue.

Project Argus's 1958 high altitude nuclear explosion (DARPA project) created artificial radiation belts, which confirmed the Christofilos effect.  This mechanism was again confirmed when the 1963 Starfish Prime explosion created artificial radation belts that "would last a hundred years before the ionosphere returned to normal."  NASA's Van Allen Probes Reveal Previously Undetected Radiation Belt Around Earth  02.28.13  [Video]

In Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory report LA-6405, Herman Hoerlin gave the following explanation of the history of the original Argus experiment and of how the nuclear detonations lead to the development of artificial radiation belts.[1]
"Before the discovery of the natural Van Allen belts in 1958, N. C. Christofilos had suggested in October 1957 that many observable geophysical effects could be produced by a nuclear explosion at high altitude in the upper atmosphere. This suggestion was reduced to practice with the sponsorship of the Advanced Research Project Agency (ARPA) of the Department of Defense and under the overall direction of Herbert York, who was then Chief Scientist of ARPA. It required only four months from the time it was decided to proceed with the tests until the first bomb was exploded. The code name of the project was Argus. Three events took place in the South Atlantic. ... Following these events, artificial belts of trapped radiation were observed.
"A general description of trapped radiation is as follows. Charged particles move in spirals around magnetic-field lines. The pitch angle (the angle between the direction of the motion of the particle and direction of the field line) has a low value at the equator and increases while the particle moves down a field line in the direction where the magnetic field strength increases. When the pitch angle becomes 90 degrees, the particle must move in the other direction, up the field lines, until the process repeats itself at the other end. The particle is continuously reflected at the two mirror points — it is trapped in the field. Because of asymmetries in the field, the particles also drift around the earth, electrons towards the east. Thus, they form a shell around the earth similar in shape to the surface formed by a field line rotated around the magnetic dipole axis."

"Argus proved the validity of Christofilos' theory: the establishment of an electron shell derived from neutron and β-decay of fission products and ionization of device materials in the upper atmosphere was demonstrated. It not only provided data on military considerations, but produced a "great mass" of geophysical data."

Artificial Radation Belts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artificial_radiation_belts

But hopes that the Christofilos effect would provide a defensive shield against Soviet missiles faded quickly. The electron belts created by the experiments were too weak and transitory to do much damage to enemy missiles that would pass through them at thousands of miles per hour. Christofilos, dubbed "the Crazy Greek" by the press, continued to explore ideas (some of which are still classified) until his death in 1972.
Fifty years after Argus, however, the Crazy Greek doesn't seem quite so crazy. Space-based nuclear tests in the early 1960s proved that the Christofilos effect could disable satellites. Now that near-Earth space harbors hundreds of satellites of critical economic and military importance, strategists are considering the Christofilos effect anew. Even a technologically humble rogue state could launch a missile and detonate a low-yield nuke high over its territory, creating a Christofilos effect that would cripple the satellites of its more sophisticated rivals.

http://www.airspacemag.com/space-exploration/Homebuilt_Radiation_Belt.html

"The Starfish Prime radiation belt had, by far, the greatest intensity and duration of any of the artificial radiation belts, and it could take many hundreds of years for the Van Allen Belts to restabilise at their normal levels."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime

The militaries' Star Wars SDI weapon is a multipurpose, climate modifying mystery.  I am not suprised that many of you are unaware of the long history of upper atmospheric modification.

Nonetheless HAARP has entered the geoengineering world:

The main instrument at HAARP Station is the Ionospheric Research Instrument (IRI). This is a high power, high-frequency phased array radio transmitter with a set of 180 antennas, disposed in an array of 12×15 units that occupy a rectangle of about 33 acres (13 hectares). The IRI is used to temporarily energize a small portion of the ionosphere. The study of these disturbed volumes yields important information for understanding natural ionospheric processes.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Frequency_Active_Auroral_Research_Program

The main MHZ frequency range (High Frequency Band 3 – 30 MHZ) of the powerful IRI transmitter is slightly different from the 13.56 MHZ needed to break down the methane. However it is very powerful with a 5.1 Giga watt effective radial power at maximum output. The Ionospheric Research Instrument (IRI) at HAARP transmits over the range 2.8 MHZ to 10 MHZ slightly less than the 13.56 MHZ used to break down methane but as mentioned previously if the IRI transmitted a 10 MHz carrier waves modulated by a 3.56 MHz signal it will generate an Upper Side Frequency of 13.56 MHz which is the methane destruction frequency (Penguin Dictionary of Physics 2000).

Noctilucent clouds which are common in the Arctic form from water condensing around meteorite dust in the mesosphere above 50 km altitude and are becoming more and more abundant and are being seen at much lower latitudes. The increase in the methane concentration in the stratosphere and its oxidation in the mesosphere is resulting in more water at these high altitudes and an increase in the noctilucent clouds. The noctilucent clouds help reflect the suns heat back into space so if we can break down more methane with the HAARP or Lucy transmitters we should generate more clouds and thus help reverse global warming by:-

a) Getting rid of the high global warming potential methane at low altitudes and in the stratospheric global warming veil.

b) Generating sunshine reflecting noctilucent clouds in increasing amounts in the mesosphere which will reflect the suns energy back into space.

The HAARP facility has discovered what they call Polar Mesosphere Summer Echoes which are elusive phenomena which may be due to a thicker development of noctilucent clouds in the Arctic summer due to the increasing methane build up. These echoes are detected with the IRI transmitter when it is used as a radar with one 28 MHZ radar and two other VHF radars of 49 MHZ and 139 MHZ. If we could transmit 13.56 MHZ on the IRI transmitter and use the other radars and optical cameras to look for reflections from noctilucent clouds formed from the breakdown of methane in a circular zone above the HAARP transmitter we should be able to effectively test the system. There ought to be a buildup of the noctilucent clouds in the area where the HAARP transmissions are focused on the ionosphere. If it works there are 4 other similar facilities in the world (Hipas, Alaska; Arecibo, Puerto Rico, EISCAT, Norway and Sura, Russia) where they could immediately attack the atmospheric methane as well.

HAARP Contacts, 2012.

John Hechscher, Director, HAARP, Gakona, Alaska

haarp.alaska.edu

377th Airforce Base Wing Public Affairs, 2000 Wyoming Blvd SE, Suite A1, Kirkland Air Force base, NM, 87117

Read the whole story here about AMEG, HAARP, Lucy, the ANGELS proposal, and the rest:

Massive methane release, geoengineering, and HAARP

and my messy blog posts and maps of HAARP-like facilities here:
HAARP - High-Frequency Active Auroral Research Program
http://www.terraforminginc.com/haarp/

The Effects of Galactic Cosmic Rays on Weather and Climate on Multiple Time Scales 2001
http://tenaya.ucsd.edu/~dettinge/PACLIM/Mercurio02.pdf

Cosmic rays and space weather: effects on global climate change 2011
http://www.ann-geophys.net/30/9/2012...-30-9-2012.pdf

Quote Content from external source:

A new method is being developed and patents are pending in the formation
of Cosmic Ignited Plasma Patterns in the Atmosphere (CIPPA). The CIPPA
method uses cosmic particle ionization trails to ignite breakdown within the
electric field pattern, thus significantly reducing power requirements and
costs. The ionized plasma pattern areas reflect a broad range of
radio/radar frequencies.

Military applications include quickly deployable communication systems for
theater-wide operations, including non line-of-sight UAV communications
and specialized intelligence gathering. Civilian applications include city-
wide and long-haul, high quality multi-media communications. There are
also potential weather applications, such as severe weather control.
The new CIPPA method offers significant benefits compared to previous
concepts for formation of artificial ionized regions in the atmosphere.
Previous concepts use pulsed beams of electromagnetic radiation and
require high electric fields for electrical breakdown in the atmosphere.
These previous studies require peak power levels up to 1010 watts and
costs in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Because of these extreme
power and cost requirements, artificial ionized regions have not been
created in the atmosphere using such systems. The CIPPA method takes
advantage of cosmic particle ionization trails (cosmic rays for altitudes below
40,000 meters and meteor trails at altitudes over 70,000 meters), which
fundamentally change the physics of the breakdown process by providing
an ignition source of electrons. The net result of the CIPPA method

Projections indicate this breakthrough for CIPPA could reduce the cost of a
system to a few million dollars and reduce the power requirements to less
than a megawatt in some cases and significantly below prior methods in
other cases. Moreover, the CIPPA innovation could make it possible to
create ionized plasma patterns in the atmosphere with low cost microwave
oven magnetrons used as radiating elements of a phased array heater.
The lifetime of individual radiating elements can be over 6,000 hours. The
lower power levels also lead to a safe system; for example, an aircraft could
fly through the phased array beam pattern without harm. A patent
application regarding the method and apparatus for formation of artificial
ionized plasma patterns was filed on September 6, 2005 by Dr. Bernard J.
Eastlund.

In the 1980’s, Dr. Eastlund was the author of patents assigned to APTI for
applications of a large phased array heater on the North Slope of Alaska for
ionospheric modification (patent number 4,686,605). One of those
applications was the creation of an artificial ionized layer with ECRH
heating. Dr. Eastlund played a major role in developing the Artificial
Ionospheric Mirror (AIM) proposal to AFRL in 1987 by APTI (then a wholly-
owned subsidiary of ARCO). He is prepared to carry out a proof of concept
program for creation of plasma patterns in the atmosphere using cosmic
particle ionization trails.

A technical advisory group of experts has been assembled for carrying out
the project. This group includes Professors Victor Granatstein and
Gennady Milikh, both of the University of Maryland, and Dr. Peter Koert, of
MIT. Professor Milikh is one of the pioneers of analysis of artificial ionization
layer research and is co-author of an important textbook on the subject.
Prof. Granatstein is an expert on microwave power technology and
microwave communications. Dr. Koert is an expert on the modeling of
ionization layer formation and is the author of a patent on tilting ionization
layers.

http://web.archive.org/web/200806181...com/CIPPA.html

Quote Content from external source:

U. S. PATENT 4,686,605
Name:  haarp_2_-334x190.jpg
Size:  9.0 KB
INTRODUCTION
HAARP is a large phased array electromagnetic wave generator located in Alaska. The involvement of Dr.
Bernard Eastlund in its creation has been well documented in books and in magazine articles and
newspapers. During the period in which many of the books and articles were written, Dr. Eastlund was
under a 15 year confidentiality agreement with ARCO (The Atlantic Richfield Company). That confidentiality
agreement has now matured. This web site will present information regarding the development of the
ARCO patents and the founding of APTI (Now owned by AES Corporation) the corporation managing the
HAARP facility. (The ARCO patents referred to in this web site are three patents that Dr. Eastlund assigned
to ARCO because he was a consultant. They are 1) U. S. Patent 4,686,605, 4,712,155 and 5,038,664.

The web site is divided into four sections: The HAARPROOTS section presents historical material from the
early period of the development of the inventions. The ROADMAP is a compendium of most of the ideas
developed between 1984 and 1987 with ARCO. HAARP3600000WATT describes the present status of
HAARP related to the ARCO patents. The HAARPASAT section describes a potentially destabilizing
applications of missile defense and as an Anti-Satellite-Weapon. (ASAT). HAARPWEATHER discusses
potential impacts of the HAARP device on weather and weather research.

HIGH ALTITUDE NUCLEAR EXPLOSIONS
One of the inspirations for the ARCO patents came from Dr. Eastlund's friendship with Nicholas
Christofilos, a research scientist at the Livermore National Laboratory who was the inspiration of a series
of high altitude nuclear explosions. The residue of these tests was a high population of MEV electrons
trapped in what are now referred to as the Van Allen belts. These electrons presented a danger to
satellites because of their ability to penetrate solids, and to heat or disable materials in the satellites.

LABORATORY GENERATED MEV ELECTRONS

Eastlund combined this knowledge base with a means of creating MEV electrons that he was familiar with
through a former position as a physicist with the U. S. Atomic energy program. A resonant heating method
of creating MEV electrons using RF waves was developed and exploited by the Oak Ridge National
Laboratory (ORNL) Subsequent plasma devices have generated MEV electrons in the laboratory with
resonant heating. A figure from the "Large Helical Device" project depicts such electrons confined by a
magnetic field.

Name:  2-large-helical-device-01.jpg
Size:  83.9 KB

Click image for larger version.

Name:	Large-Helical-Device-rezn8d.com.png
Views:	1
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	2060

Name:  plasma1.jpg
Size:  24.3 KB

THE ARCO PATENTS (ASSIGNED TO APTI)

Eastlund combined the ideas of MEV electrons in space with the technology to generate MEV electrons
using electromagnetic waves to create the idea of a missile shield and other applications of MEV
electrons by inventing a large antenna array in Alaska to project RF electromagnetic waves to intersect
with the earth's geomagnetic field at high altitude. The subsequent relativistic electrons would destroy
enemy missiles if they intersected with missile trajectories. See HAARPMEVELECTRONS.

The patents are:

"Method for Producing a Shell of Relativistic Particles at an Altitude Above the Earths Surface"
Bernard J. Eastlund inventor, US Patent Number: 5,038,664 Issue Date: 8/13/91,Assignee: APTI, Inc.

"Method and Apparatus For Altering a Region in the Earth's Atmosphere, Ionosphere, and/or
Magnetosphere" Bernard J. Eastlund inventor, US Patent Number: 4,686,605 Issue Date: 8/11/87
Assignee: APTI, Inc.

"Method and Apparatus For Creating an Artificial Electron Cyclotron Heating Region of Plasma"
Bernard J. Eastlund and Simon Ramo inventors, Patent Number: 4,712,155 Issue Date: 1/28/85
Assignee: APTI, Inc.

Note that all of these patents were filed before any subcontractors were involved with the project.
The patent issued in 1991 had been held up because it was classified as secret for 5 years.

MEV ELECTRONS the HAARP system, or a system like it only larger, could accelerate copius
numbers of MEV electrons along magnetic field lines in the atmosphere, then, in our opinion, this could
be the greatest threat to modern military satellite technology. A geosynchronous satellite could be
eliminated within 20 minutes. There is some indication that other countries, such as China are working
on such technologies. See HAARPMEVELECTRONS

http://web.archive.org/web/200806181...com/HAARP.html

Quote Content from external source:

THE ARCO PATENTS
The science of weather modification is in its infancy. When the ARCO patents were written in 1984, the only
scientific approach was salting clouds with silver iodide. One of the reasons weather modification is not a science
is that scientists have made what they considered to be reasonable assessments of the relative size of forcing
technologies (such as wind generators, microwave heaters, or explosions) and determined that the large size of
weather systems make it useless to attempt to change weather patterns with human intervention.

The energy turnover of a storm system can be related to an equivalent power through the rainfall rate. The
various severe storm categories are related to the total electric power consumption of New York City in the table
below:

SMALL THUNDERSTORM 10 New York Cities
LARGE THUNDERSTORM 1000 New York Cities
MAJOR STORM SYSTEM 10000 New York Cities
HURRICANE 100,000 New York Cities

The power levels required for the ARCO antenna to create MEV electrons and defeat a missile attack by the
Soviet Union was estimated to require generation of a power equivalent to 100,000 New York Cities for a time
period of 20 minutes.

Dr. Eastlund was aware that these power levels were equivalent to the power in such big systems and also
comparable to the local energy in the stratosphere of the polar jet stream, which comes near the Prudhoe Bay
ARCO installation. For that reason, two of the patents included suggestions for weather modification. (See figure
above.)

In U. S. Patent 4,712,155 Eastlund states,"In one embodiment of the invention, electron cyclotron resonance
heating is carried out in the selected region at sufficient power levels to allow the plasma to generate a mirror
force which forces the charged electrons of the altered plasma upward along the force line to an altitude which is
higher than the original altitude. As the plasma moves upward, other particles from the atmosphere at the same
altitude as the selected region move horizontally into the region to replace the rising plasma and to form new
plasma. The kinetic energy developed by said other particles as they move horizontally is on the same order of
magnitude of as the total zonal kinetic energy of stratospheric winds known to exist at altitudes equal to the region
being altered. Since there is evidence that these stratospheric winds may be linked to certain weather patterns on
earth, the present method may be used to affect similar patterns."

In U. S. Patent 4,686,605 Eastlund states, "Weather modification is possible by, for example, altering upper
atmosphere wind patterns or altering solar absorption patterns by constructing one or more plumes of
atmospheric particles which will act as a lens or focusing device."

IS HAARP THE RIGHT SIZE?
HAARP is not nearly as big as the systems envisioned in the original ARCO patents. However, this led Dr.
Eastlund to further investigate how to influence severe weather by artificial means. The Thunderstorm Solar
Power Satellite was one of the results of this reasoning. Another approach is to produce plasmas in the
atmosphere and utilize various properties of those plasmas for surgical heating of sensitive areas of storms.

Name:  ECRH_ELectrons_final_for_web_012907-736x450.jpg
Size:  45.4 KB

HAARP AND GRAVITY WAVES
Gravity waves have received much attention over the last 5 years as an important initiator or cause of some
severe weather phenomena.

http://web.archive.org/web/200806181...RPWEATHER.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylTQj2qX1ZM

Quote Content from external source:

Planned and Inadvertent Weather Modification/Weather Modification Association2.1
Atmospheric heating as a research tool
Lyle M. Jenkins, Eastlund Scientific Enterprises Corporation, Houston, TX; and B. J. Eastlund
Throughout history, mankind has sought to minimize the impact of the unpredictability and severity of violent storms such as tornadoes. To date, solutions have focused early warning and on development of fortified buildings made to withstand the strong forces that are the hallmark of these atmospheric events. Sophisticated prediction methods have been developed to warn populations of potential storm danger. These "warn and seek shelter" mechanisms have clearly reduced the loss of life and, to a lesser extent, property damage associated with these natural events. However, despite our best efforts, loss of life and costly property damage are still strongly associated with severe weather phenomenon. This paper will describe a new concept that may improve computer simulation of these violent weather systems. Using ground-based beams of electromagnetic radiation, ionized plasma patches are created in the atmosphere. These active areas are expected to provide a research tool to understand storm phenomena.
Advanced computer simulations of severe weather systems, such as the ARPS code, require accurate boundary condition information. Data, such as wind profiles as a function of altitude, are an essential input. Hurricane simulations likewise have identified the steering winds as crucial to the development and track of hurricanes. This paper describes a method of creating atmospheric ionized plasma patches. These can be used as implements for rapidly heating well-defined regions of a weather system. Ground based microwave phased arrays, focused on specific locations in the atmosphere, will be used to create the plasma patch and to heat the atmosphere. A roadmap for application of such a capability to weather research and eventually to weather modification will be described. Initial experiments would correlate heating in a specific region of a weather system with computer simulations of the weather system.
Eventual applications include controlled modification of severe storm systems. One such objective is to prevent concentration of storm energy in tornadoes and to diffuse it over a larger area. The anticipated result is minimum impact on overall weather without the death and destruction from tornadoes.
If it does prove possible to prevent tornadoes, then systems are envisioned for intervention in other severe storm phenomena. Hurricanes and typhoons may be modified in some beneficial fashion, and weather modification could be a routine operation in the twenty-first century. This initial approach is focused on research to increase our simulation and understanding of storm dynamics.
Extended Abstract (1.3M)
Recorded presentation
Session 2, New Unconventional Concepts and Legal Ramifications
Monday, 21 April 2008, 10:30 AM-12:10 PM, Standley I

Next paper

Browse or search entire meeting
AMS Home Page

https://ams.confex.com/ams/17WModWMA...per_139228.htm
Attached Images Attached Images

Finally, by 2016ish they should have the 100GW EISCAT 3D online (Tromso), when we see the real modification begin!

~Jim Lee
science dork with nerd glaze
http://www.terraforminginc.com/
http://www.climateviewer.com/
Govindasamy_Caldeira_GRL2000_geoengineering.pdf