Playing God With the Planet - danger of being too sweeping

John Latham

Aug 10, 2013, 12:10:00 AM8/10/13
to rez...@gmail.com, geoengi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jim,

I agree with most of what you say below, but in my view it woulsd be a mistake to
tar all cloud-based SRM possibilities with the same brush. Like you, I am highly skeptical
of the possibility that electromagnetic / ion generation schemes might be of value in SRM.

However satellite records over several decades have demonstrated - via the phenomenon
of ship-tracks - that particles emitted from powered ships produce highly visible ship
tracks in the clouds above, as a consequence of their entering the bases of low-level
extensive clouds and being activated as cloud condensation nuclei (CCN) which form
droplets which grow and add to the cloud albedo.

Those of us working on Marine Cloud Brightening MCB would use very small, benign seawater
particles as CCN rather than exhaust particles from ships, but the physics of the technique is
essentially the same, and well-established.

We do not yet know whether MCB will pass all necessary tests, but we do think that it is
worthwhile to perform research to establish whether or not it could.

Cheers, John (Latham).

John Latham
Address: P.O. Box 3000,MMM,NCAR,Boulder,CO 80307-3000
Email: lat...@ucar.edu or john.l...@manchester.ac.uk
Tel: (US-Work) 303-497-8182 or (US-Home) 303-444-2429
or (US-Cell) 303-882-0724 or (UK) 01928-730-002
http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/people/latham