Explaining geoengineering to normal people

Andrew Lockley

Jan 7, 2015, 3:07:38 PM1/7/15
to geoengineering

I've been trying to answer some basic questions from a lay inquirer on Twitter. I thought I'd share some of the explanations I've used.

I'd really value comments, corrections, ideas and feedback

-------

1. The sky will look hazy white, like it's viewed through a jug of water with a teaspoon of milk in it
2. SRM is much more about controlling future temperature rises than winding back old ones (near term).
3. Although sulphur injections aren't physically ideal, the fact that they're nature-identical reduces the risks of unforeseen consequences
4. Nobody working in geoengineering seriously believes it's an alternative to mitigation

Mick West

Jan 7, 2015, 4:08:24 PM1/7/15
to Andrew Lockley, geoengineering
Regarding #1 "The sky will look hazy white, like it's viewed through a jug of water with a teaspoon of milk in it "

There's a few issues with that. For one, the sky actually does look hazy white a lot of the time, and in a lot of directions - most notably horizontal, with there being more atmosphere in that direction, and also in the direction of the sun, as there's more light.

With Twitter, I've found using annotated images is the best way of getting a point across. For example:

Inline image 1

Then "a jug of water with a teaspoon of milk in it" has a HUGE range of possible transparencies with variants on jug size, and milk type. Ideally you'd have an illustration that accurately reflects the computed magnitude. Is it one of these?
Inline image 3
Inline image 2

Feel free to use any of these images.

Ken Caldeira

Jan 7, 2015, 4:11:29 PM1/7/15
to Mick West, Andrew Lockley, geoengineering
The sky will not look hazy white.

It did not look hazy white after Mt Pinatubo. It is whiter, but still blue.  Maybe "slightly hazy blue" would be more accurate.

Mick West

Jan 7, 2015, 4:26:28 PM1/7/15
to Ken Caldeira, Andrew Lockley, geoengineering
Perhaps a simulated before and during image might work. Here's one with barely perceptible whitening. Are there calculations of the actual magnitude of the change? Or measurements (or even, ideally comparative photos) from Pinatubo.
Inline image 1

Ken Caldeira

Jan 7, 2015, 4:29:42 PM1/7/15
to Mick West, Andrew Lockley, geoengineering
We did calculations in the attached paper.

We struggled with how to illustrate the color change but came up with no adequate solution.

_______________
Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution for Science

My assistant is Dawn Ross <dr...@carnegiescience.edu>, with access to incoming emails.

Kravitz_et_al_GRL2012_whiter-skies.pdf

Doug MacMartin

Jan 7, 2015, 4:34:46 PM1/7/15
to mi...@mickwest.com, Ken Caldeira, Andrew Lockley, geoengineering

Ben calculated the resulting spectrum of diffuse light for a range or aerosol concentrations and sizes; see attached.  Also has a comparison with Pinatubo, and with urban aerosols.

We were originally planning on putting colour patches into the paper, but concluded that the resulting colour depends too strongly on the monitor on which it is viewed or the printer used; even a pdf printed on the exact same printer by two different computers winds up looking quite different.  Furthermore, perceived colour depends on context.  So fair to say that it will look whiter, and closer to what people in urban areas are already used to, but hard to come up with a picture that is actually realistic.

(And, of course, it also depends on how much geoengineering you do, whether it is 0.5 Wm-2 or 4 Wm-2)

Doug

Alan has a photo from Mauna Loa during Pinatubo.

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg
2012GL051652.pdf

Fred Zimmerman

Jan 7, 2015, 5:10:38 PM1/7/15
to Mick West, Andrew Lockley, geoengineering
Good science discussion of this issue, but I think the GE community doesn't sufficiently take on board that consciously accepting an alteration in the appearance of the sky is a GIANT SHOW-STOPPING ROADBLOCK that will inspire ferocious and unending opposition.

Mick West

Jan 7, 2015, 5:34:32 PM1/7/15
to Doug MacMartin, Ken Caldeira, Andrew Lockley, geoengineering
I understand that color varies greatly by view context, lighting, and display device. But surely an A/B side-by-side comparison could accurately demonstrate the magnitude and general direction of the change?

Andrew Lockley

Jan 7, 2015, 6:32:05 PM1/7/15
to Mick West, Ken Caldeira, geoengineering, Doug MacMartin

Another way of looking at this is to create a standard.

UK pint glasses are always the same shape and size. UK semi skimmed milk is always the same fat content.

So there must be an accurate amount of milk you can put in a pint glass of water that gives you the right colour when you look at the sky through it.

To keep it simple we might use a doubling of CO2 from pre industrial, using only sulphur.

So, physicists: How much milk in my pint?

Ken Caldeira

Jan 7, 2015, 9:56:37 PM1/7/15
to Andrew Lockley, Mick West, geoengineering, Doug MacMartin
Here is an attempt:

The left square is 100% blue. The right square adds in 10% green and red to try to make something like blue with 10% added white. This is the most whitening that we got in any calculation.

Saying it would 'whiten' the skies is exercising a bit of poetic license.

_______________
Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution for Science

My assistant is Dawn Ross <dr...@carnegiescience.edu>, with access to incoming emails.

Mick West

Jan 7, 2015, 10:11:12 PM1/7/15
to Ken Caldeira, Andrew Lockley, geoengineering, Doug MacMartin
Here's something similar done to a photo. The left is straight from the camera, the right is overlaid with a pure white rectangle, at 10% transparency. I've left in the photoshop panels so you can see the setup.
Inline image 1

Robert Tulip

Jan 8, 2015, 4:48:47 AM1/8/15
to kcal...@gmail.com, Mick West, Andrew Lockley, geoengineering
Pinatubo turned the sky yellow in Australia, as seen at the horizon in this shot Pinatubo dust colours the twilight

image

Pinatubo dust colours the twilight
Pinatubo dust colours the twilight AAO image reference MISC 17.     « Previous || Next » Image and text © 1985-2002, Australian Astronomical Observatory, Photogr...
Preview by Yahoo

Would a slight change of sky colour really be a worse political problem than the effects of global warming?

Alexey Ryaboshapko

Jan 8, 2015, 4:49:00 AM1/8/15
to kcal...@gmail.com, Andrew Lockley, Mick West, geoengineering, Doug MacMartin
Dear All,
Recent years I interviewed many people asking the question: “Did years of 1991 and 1992 have any distinguished (specific) characteristic in the nature?”  No one could remember any whitening the sky. They were shocked to know that the stratosphere contained 20-30 Mt of sulfate aerosol that period.
Alexey Ryaboshapko

Среда, 7 января 2015, 18:55 -08:00 от Ken Caldeira <kcal...@carnegiescience.edu>:
Alexey Ryaboshapko

Stephen Salter

Jan 8, 2015, 5:23:35 AM1/8/15
to geoengi...@googlegroups.com
Andrew

Lay enquirers might also like to understand the differnces between stratospheric sulphur and marine cloud brightening.

Stephen

Emeritus Professor of Engineering Design. School of Engineering. University of Edinburgh. Mayfield Road. Edinburgh EH9 3JL. Scotland S.Sa...@ed.ac.uk Tel +44 (0)131 650 5704 Cell 07795 203 195 WWW.see.ed.ac.uk/~shs YouTube Jamie Taylor Power for Change

olivermorton

Jan 9, 2015, 5:53:33 AM1/9/15
to geoengi...@googlegroups.com, kcal...@carnegiescience.edu, andrew....@gmail.com, macm...@cds.caltech.edu
Also worth noting that this is not a necessary effect; particles with less forward scattering would reduce the effect, as i understand it, and in principle might do so a lot. Given this I'm not sure you can say ab initio that stratospheric geoengineering would alter sky appearance in any perceptible way at all.

This e-mail may contain confidential material. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all copies. It may also contain personal views which are not the views of The Economist Group. We may monitor e-mail to and from our network.

Sent by a member of The Economist Group. The Group's parent company is The Economist Newspaper Limited, registered in England with company number 236383 and registered office at 25 St James's Street, London, SW1A 1HG. For Group company registration details go to http://legal.economistgroup.com

olivermorton

Jan 9, 2015, 5:55:47 AM1/9/15
to geoengi...@googlegroups.com
On 4, perhaps more accurate to say that they believe it *shouldn't be treated as* an alternative

Andrew Lockley

Jan 12, 2015, 2:35:59 PM1/12/15
to geoengineering
From: Doug MacMartin <macm...@cds.caltech.edu>
Date: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 at 2:45 PM
To: Ben Kravitz <Ben.K...@pnnl.gov>

Not sure if you get the google group messages in real time, but you might answer this better than I or Ken can…

2012gl051652-txts01.pdf
2012GL051652.pdf