Moroccan Geometry

Paul Kranz

Dec 7, 2013, 5:48:00 PM12/7/13
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
I took this picture in the Marrakesh Theater, Busch Gardens, Tampa, FL. Have any of you seen this geometry projected onto a sphere? I am thinking it has a dodecahedronal pattern.

Paul sends...

arabGeometry.jpg

TaffGoch

Dec 7, 2013, 6:35:41 PM12/7/13
to Geodesic Help Group
Hiya, Paul,

Moroccan tiling can be fitted to icosa/dodeca polyhedral solids, as long as they exhibit six-way radial symmetry. The same is true for 5-way radial symmetry, in many cases. At first, I thought mirror symmetry was also required, but my first example, below, demonstrates that supposition was fallacious.

("Cairo" tiling, initially, looks like 5-way symmetry, but it is 4-way radial symmetry. For a while, I've been trying to get it to fit a polyhedral solid, with no luck.)
Inline image 4

What I have had "luck" with, over the last couple of years...

Star Weave:
Inline image 1

Temari Ball:
Inline image 2

Arabian Tessellation:
Inline image 3

It looks like the "Temari Ball" geometry comes closest to the design in the image you posted -- not spot on, but similar.

-Taff
Star Weave.jpg
Temari Ball.jpg
Arabian Tessellation.jpg
CairoTiles.jpg

TaffGoch

Dec 7, 2013, 6:40:25 PM12/7/13
to Geodesic Help Group
This one qualifies, I suppose, although it doesn't as-strongly resemble Moroccan/Arabic tiling (to me, anyway) :

Geodesic Weave:
Inline image 1

-Taff
Geodesic Weave.jpg

Paul Kranz

Dec 7, 2013, 8:46:47 PM12/7/13
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Taff:

Thank you for your speedy reply. I love your drawings!!

Paul sends...
Geodesic Weave.jpg

Thomas Rainwater

Dec 7, 2013, 8:53:25 PM12/7/13
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Taff should publish a book FULL of these drawings! I know that I'd buy a copy!

-Tommy

Geodesic Weave.jpg

biagiodicarlo

Dec 8, 2013, 4:50:46 PM12/8/13
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
The second copy will be for me
-Biagio

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 6:40 PM, TaffGoch <taff...@gmail.com> wrote:
This one qualifies, I suppose, although it doesn't as-strongly resemble Moroccan/Arabic tiling (to me, anyway) :

Geodesic Weave:
<Geodesic Weave.jpg>

-Taff

Paul Kranz

Dec 10, 2013, 3:02:35 AM12/10/13
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Surprise, surprise, surprise. It's a four-frequency dodecahedron!

Paul sends...
moroccoFace2.jpg
moroccoFace.jpg

homespun

Dec 10, 2013, 11:37:51 PM12/10/13
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Question:  We have been talking about projecting this Morrocan pattern onto a sphere, but what is it as a plane tiling?  Is it a true aperiodic Penrose pattern?  I am only just now beginning to investigate Penrose Tilings for the first time, having seen him last week at a lecture here in San Antonio at Palo Alto College.  So I am printing out a bunch of them to fool around with.
                             Dan

TaffGoch

Dec 11, 2013, 2:27:14 AM12/11/13
to Geodesic Help Group
Paul,

More-accurately described as a 2-frequency triacontahedron, perhaps? (Putting each ten-pointed star at a vertex.)

Here's the tiling pattern. I'm sure everyone can recognize the pentagonal symmetry:

Inline image 1

...and here's how it would appear, mapped onto a dodecahedron:

Inline image 2

The ten-pointed stars "turn into" nine-pointed stars, at the vertices. Subdividing the dodecahedron, into a 2v triacontahedron, would produce a more-spherical geodesic, of course. Higher frequencies (3 or greater) would "round" out the polyhedron, even more.

-Taff
Moroccan Tile Dodecahedron.png
Moroccan Tile.png

TaffGoch

Dec 11, 2013, 2:53:05 AM12/11/13
to Geodesic Help Group
Here's the 2v triacontahedron (also known by other polyhedron nomenclature):
Moroccan Tile; Triacon, 2v.png

Paul Kranz

Dec 11, 2013, 11:04:53 AM12/11/13
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Taff:

Can you project the Moroccan pattern onto a sphere?

Paul sends...

Very high regards,

Paul sends...

TaffGoch

Dec 11, 2013, 7:28:36 PM12/11/13
to Geodesic Help Group
Paul,

Rather than "project" the 2D pattern image onto a sphere, which severely distorts straight lines (into curved lines,) I constructed planes, to intersect the "sphere," aligned with the endpoints in the pattern (endpoints, where a line takes a "jog.")

This produces geodesic arcs, more-closely approximating the straight-line-segments appearance of the 2D pattern:

Inline image 1

The pentagonal stars get stretched, a little, but that's due to the 2D-to-3D translation.

Note that SketchUp doesn't really do curves or spheres -- these are approximated by short line segments. This "sphere" is a 16v, Class-II (aka, triacontahedron) tessellation.

-Taff
Moroccan Tile; Sphere (16v triacon).png

Blair Wolfram

Dec 11, 2013, 8:00:34 PM12/11/13
to geodesichelp
Here's another 16v sphere, Order In Chaos by Fr. Magnus Wenninger.

Blair F. Wolfram
Founder, Dome Inc.

http://www.hurricanedomes.com
888-DOME-INC or 612-333-3663
Moroccan Tile; Sphere (16v triacon).png
DSCN2465.JPG
DSCN2439.JPG

TaffGoch

Dec 11, 2013, 8:07:43 PM12/11/13
to Geodesic Help Group
Blair,

Father Magnus was kind enough to send me a note of appreciation, regarding my 3D-modeling of his sculpture.

Inline image 1

Inline image 2

-Taff
order_in_chaos.jpg
342449af889f191527f3401e25bea5a3.jpg

Paul Kranz

Dec 11, 2013, 8:25:11 PM12/11/13
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Taff:

Simply beautiful! Thank you.

Paul sends...

Moroccan Tile; Sphere (16v triacon).png

TaffGoch

Dec 11, 2013, 9:01:01 PM12/11/13
to Geodesic Help Group
"Beefed up," enhanced tiling + triacon geodesic edge-shading modified to produce "smooth" sphere:

Inline image 1

Moroccan Tile; Sphere (16v triacon).png

Paul Kranz

Dec 12, 2013, 1:01:01 PM12/12/13
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Very Beefy!

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 9:01 PM, TaffGoch <taff...@gmail.com> wrote:
"Beefed up," enhanced tiling + triacon geodesic edge-shading modified to produce "smooth" sphere:

Inline image 1

Moroccan Tile; Sphere (16v triacon).png

TaffGoch

Dec 12, 2013, 5:05:17 PM12/12/13
to Geodesic Help Group
To model one of my previously-referenced examples, I 3D-wrapped this pattern...
Inline image 1

...onto a sphere, to produce:
Inline image 2
(Hexagonal patterns are relatively easy.)

For further explorations (both Paul and Dan,) these pattern images can be researched, using the term, "zillij"

-Taff
euclid_interlaced.png
Temari ball.png

TaffGoch

Dec 16, 2013, 8:43:17 PM12/16/13
to Geodesic Help Group
I "zoomed out" the same pattern image depicted in the previous post, to produce a new "zillij" sphere (also based on an icosahedron,) following these steps:

 1)  "Trace" pattern on icosahedron faces,
 2)  Explode vertices and intersections to unit sphere, and
 3)  Truncate radial lines, to produce lattice.

Inline image 1

Paul, these are the steps that I employ, going from 2D-to-3D. and isn't conceptually-difficult, but it does require careful, meticulous attention to precision, while modeling. SketchUp provides for this precision, as long as you know a few SketchUp tool "tricks."

I like this one better (more apparent complexity,) and will likely post to the 3D Warehouse.

-Taff
Zillij.gif

homespun

Dec 16, 2013, 9:14:56 PM12/16/13
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Taff, please post link to final product.
          Dan
Dec 16, 2013, 9:20:43 PM12/16/13
to Geodesic Help Group
Dan,

(You can "turn off" the black background, by opening the window for "fog" settings.)

Here's the pattern (which is included in the model, in a separate "layer"):
Zillij 0.png

Paul Kranz

Dec 17, 2013, 2:23:21 PM12/17/13
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
A-maze-ing! I am happy to contribute.

Paul sends...

Zillij 0.png

TaffGoch

Dec 22, 2013, 6:47:27 PM12/22/13
to Geodesic Help Group
I "tinkered" a bit, to re-align arc-segments, to better follow parallel, lesser-circle paths. It's much improved, but not quite spot on.

Zillij.png

TaffGoch

Jan 11, 2014, 5:30:44 PM1/11/14
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

I found a description of how the design (from your original post) is produced, within a PDF from

-Taff

Paul Kranz

Jan 12, 2014, 8:38:07 PM1/12/14
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Taff:

Very cool! Thanks for the info.

Pal sends...

Entopii Morcillist

Apr 3, 2015, 11:05:40 AM4/3/15
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Dear Taff,
hoping you are well.. am not a physicist nor a mathematician but really admire your work. My reason for writing is that how can your moroccan design can be applied to producing a real-life spherical product... if I was to use 0,9mm bamboo plywood using clips to connect the each piece together to have a spherical end-product.. something like your "Order in Chaos"
Thanks and regards,
Cengiz