Xbox 360 controller via USB host

Dave Waugh

Apr 2, 2014, 12:11:03 PM4/2/14
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
With earlier versions of Genymotion I was able to get a generic controller recognised via USB host and virtualbox's built in USB support. The controller was a standard USB HID gamepad and was compatible with a wide range of Android devices out of the box. I haven't been able to test this in Genymotion 2.2.0 as that particular controller has a faulty USB cable and I haven't gotten around to buying another.

Unfortunately now all I have left are a bunch of Xbox 360 controllers which aren't very well supported by Android, and whilst I've been able to mod most of my physical devices to recognise them, I cannot find a compatible version of xpad.ko, the Xbox 360 controller driver, for Genymotion's kernel.

Seeing as you guys have the kernel source, could you please build xpad.ko and add it to your images? this would really help with using Genymotion for game development as Xbox controllers are pretty much the defacto standard on PC.

Kind regards
Dave

Julien Bolard

Apr 2, 2014, 3:48:43 PM4/2/14
to Dave Waugh, genymoti...@googlegroups.com
Here it is.

I have added also joydev.ko because is seems to be needed when you read the readme.

I don't have any XBox controller (only PS3 :)) so I can check if it can work or not.

Enjoy

joydev.ko
xpad.ko

Dave Waugh

Apr 2, 2014, 4:55:49 PM4/2/14
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com, Dave Waugh
Seems to be working perfectly! great work again :-)

Two little tips for you:-

1. On my physical android devices I always add keylayouts for xbox wired, xbox wireless and a generic xbox-compatible I have (Logitech F310). These are needed to ensure compatibility in some games. The files simply need to be copied to /system/usr/keylayouts  (root required). Other xbox-compatible controllers can be supported too, all that's needed is the manufacturer and device ID and a copy of the original file.

2. To load the xpad.ko and joydev.ko drivers automatically at boot, I use ModuleLoader (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1228605)

Kind regards
Dave
keylayouts.zip