William Ditchburn

Paul

Apr 24, 2012, 6:58:56 AM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com

Looking for information on a

William Ditchburn

Born/ Bapt 25/5/1803 Maryport Cumberland

Died 1849 Cockermouth Cumberland

Married Anne Wedgewood

Anne Wedgewood

Born/ Bapt 8/6/1806 Dearham Cumberland

Died 1878 Cockermouth Cumberland

Daughter Jane Ditchburn

Born 1836 Workington Cumberland

Married in 1857 to Sewell Moore of Lorton Cumberland

Jane somewhat fertile has at least 11 children

Linda Chapman

Apr 24, 2012, 7:21:43 AM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Ann is my 4th cousin 6x removed but you have more info on them then me as I only have 8 children lol

Thompson
Aaron
William
Jane
Sarah
Thomas
Philip x 2

Sorry I can't be of more help

Lin

Paul

Apr 24, 2012, 7:41:24 AM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com

Hmmmm Hi Linda my info might be not be as reliable as yours ? I have here 11 offspring William 1858, Mary 1861, Thompson 1863, John 1865, Ann 1867, Sarah 1869, Joseph 1872, Hannah 1874, Robert 1876, Jane 1878, Essie or Elsie 1888 all born in Flimby Cumberland except Thompson and John born in Camertown Cumberland

Thompson dies in 1883 Cockermouth Cumberland

No virus found in this message.

Petra Mitchinson

Apr 24, 2012, 7:51:45 AM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

The IGI has the marriage of William DITCHBURN and Ann WEDGEWOOD on 03 Oct 1825 in Wigton.

The following children of William & Ann DITCHBURN are on the IGI as baptised in Cumberland (but there could have been another couple of those names as well, so no guarantee they are all yours - but I could not find any other marriage of a William DITCHBURN to an Ann on the IGI):

Aaron, bap. 26 Jun 1831 Bolton, CUM.
William, bap. 07 Nov 1833 Camerton
Jane bap. 10 Mar 1836 St. Michael, Workington
Sarah bap. 20 Sep 1840 Flimby
Thomas bap. 18 Jun 1843 Camerton
Philip bap. 31 Jan 1846 Flimby
Philip bap. 10 Aug 1847 Flimby (death 04 Jan 1848)

Have you found the family on the censuses yet? If not, I can go and have a look...

Petra

Paul

Apr 24, 2012, 8:08:27 AM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com

Ahhhh Ok many thanx Petra for that, the info I have is from the 1881 and 1891 census for Sewell Moore and Jane Ditchburn and their 11 offspring

Would appreciate if you could look at earlier census if possible. As I don’t have any info on any of the siblings to Jane Ditchburn I got confused with Linda’s email…..obviously she was referring to Jane Ditchburn siblings not to her children. My fault, think I had better get a coffee….:-)

Apr 24, 2012, 8:19:55 AM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
They seem to be the right family - here they are in 1841:

1841 census for Parish of Flimby
HO107, Piece 162, Book 4, f.10, p.15
Address: Village of Flimby
William DITCHBURN, age 38, Coal Miner
Ann DITCHBURN, age 35
Thompson DITCHBURN, age 11
Aaron DITCHBURN, age 7
William DITCHBURN, age 6
Jane DITCHBURN, age 4
Joseph DITCHBURN, age 2
Sarah DITCHBURN, age 9 months
all born in Cumberland

1851 census for Parish of Flimby
HO107, Piece 2435, f. 695, p.12, sch.48
Address: Straugton Houses
Ann DITCHBURN, Head, widow, age 45, born CUL, Dearham
Aaron DITCHBURN, son, unmarried, age 19, Coal Miner, born CUL, Bolton
Jane DITCHBURN, daughter, unmarried, at Home, born CUL, Workington
Joseph DITCHBURN, son, age 12, Coal Miner, born CUL, Seaton
Thomas DITCHBURN, son, age 7, at Home, born CUL, Seaton

1861 census for Parish of Flimby
RG9, Piece 3941, f. 5, p. 5, schedule 24
Address: Village of Flimby
Ann DICHBURN, Head, widow, age 53, born CUL, Dearham
William DICHBURN, son, unmarried, age 24, Coal Miner, born CUL, Seaton
Thomas DICHBURN, son, unmarried, age 17, Coal Miner, born CUL, Seaton
William DICHBURN, grandson, age 3, born CUL, Flimby
Sarah WEDGEWOOD, niece, unmarried, age 20, born CUL, Flimby

1871 census for Flimby Civil Parish, Village of Flimby
RG10, Piece 5245, f. 22, p. 1, sch. 3
Address: Flimby Village
Ann DITCHBURN, Head, widow, age 59, Pauper, born CUL, Dearham
William DITCHBURN, grandson, unmarried, age 13, Picker at Coalmines, born CUL, Flimby
William URE, boarder, married, age 24, Builder, born CUL, Kirklinton

I note that in 30 years, Ann DITCHBURN managed to only age 21 years. Quite an achievement!

Petra

Apr 24, 2012, 8:43:59 AM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul

Thompson b 1863 appears to be the son of Thompson b 1829 and Ann nee Jackson

he appears on the 1871 census along with

Ann b 1861
Jane b 1865
Mary b 1868

and is at home with his parents on the 1891 census along with sister Jane and a nephew John W W Ditchburn aged 4

on the 1911 he is lodging in Manchester

There is a death for Thompson Snr on Freebmd in Dec qtr 1896 aged 69 in Cockermouth

and

for Thompson Jnr in Dec qtr 1915 aged 54 at Prestwich in Lancs

these may not be the correct ones but seem close enough

Lin

Paul

Apr 24, 2012, 9:01:32 AM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com

Ahhhh Ok thanx Linda for that I was a bit confused earlier but yes I understand now, I will have to recheck my source for the Thompson Moore who died  in 1883 Cockermouth Cumberland  however many, many thanx for your help certainly appreciate it J

Petra Mitchinson

Apr 24, 2012, 9:25:16 AM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Well if he was called Thompson MOORE he was obviously a different one from Thompson DITCHBURN. No reason why Jane MOORE nee DITCHBURN could not have named a son after her brother.

Petra

Apr 24, 2012, 9:50:26 AM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Was that a first cousin marriage then???

Linda Chapman

Apr 24, 2012, 10:02:31 AM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
don't know but wouldn't have been the first or last lol

Paul

Apr 24, 2012, 10:06:50 AM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com

Yes Thompson Ditchburn is an uncle to Thompson Moore because William Ditchburn marries Anne Wedgewood they have 6 children maybe 7 if the 2 phillips are not the same,  one of the children is Jane Ditchburn who marries Sewel Moore whose sister Jane Moore  than marries A Thomas Shaw of Moresby who is my great Grand Father. That might sound somewhat confusing but I can follow it quite well on my Family Tree Maker Prog…….:-)

Linda Chapman

Apr 24, 2012, 10:09:05 AM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
so who is the joseph moore who also marries a jane ditchburn

lin

Petra Mitchinson

Apr 24, 2012, 10:15:37 AM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Here are some censuses for the MOORE family:

1901 census for Flimby CP
RG13, Piece 4886, f. 92, p. 13, schedule 66
Address: Parkers Terrace (4 rooms)
Sewel MOORE, Head, married, age 67, Plate layer, worker, born Wythop, CUL
Jane MOORE, wife, married, age 65, born Workington, CUL
Tom MUSGRAVE, son-in-law, married, age 31, Coal MIner, worker, born Camerton, CUL
Jane MUSGRAVE, daughter, married, age 23, born Flimby, CUL
Jane MUSGRAVE, granddaughter, single, age 5, born Flimby, CUL
Martha MUSGRAVE, granddaughter, single, age 4, born Flimby, CUL
Essie MUSGRAVE, granddaughter, single, age 1, born Flimby, CUL

I understand you already have 1891 and 1881.

1871 census for Flimby CP, Village of Flimby
RG10, Piece 5245, f. 22, p. 2, schedule 6
Address: Flimby Village
Sewel MOORE, Head, married, age 40, Coalminer, born CUL, Wythop
Jane MOORE, wife, married, age 35, born CUL, Workington
William MOORE, son, unmarried, age 13, Driver in Coalmine, born CUL, Flimby
Mary MOORE, daughter, age 10, born CUL, Flimby
Thompson MOORE, son, age 8, Scholar, born CUL, Camerton
John MOORE, son, age 6, Scholar, born CUL, Camerton
Ann MOORE, daughter, age 4, born CUL, Flimby
Sarah MOORE, daughter, age 2, born CUL, Flimby

1861 census for Flimby Parish
RG9, Piece 3941, f. 7, p. 10, schedule 51
Address: Village of Flimby
Sevell [or Swell] MOOR, Head, married, age 29, Ag Lab, born CUL, Withop
Jane MOOR, wife, married, age 25, Do. Wife, born CUL, Workington
William MOOR, son, age 3, born CUL, Flimby
Mary MOOR, daughter, age 3 months, born CUL, Flimby

1851 census for Blindbothel Township
HO107, Piece 2434, f. 513, p. 5, schedule 10
Address: Highdike
Fletcher NORMAN, Head, unmarried, age 44, Farmer of 155 As. employing 2 labourers, born CUL, Brigham
John NORMAN, father, widower, age 72, Landed Proprietor, born CUL, Uldale
Matilda NORMAN, sister, unmarried, age 32, born CUL, Brigham
Mary Ann NORMAN, sister, unmarried, age 32, born CUL, Brigham
Sewel MOORE, servant, unmarried, age 20, Farm Serv, born CUL, Brigham
Henry PARK, servant, unmarried, age 18, Farm Serv, born CUL, Disington
Hannah RITSON, servant, unmarried, age 19, House Serv, born CUL, Bridekirk

1841 census for Wythop Township
HO107, Piece 156, Book 28, f. 3, p. 1
Address: Eskin
William MOORE, age 40, Ag lab
Mary MOORE, age 40
Jane MOORE, age 15
Sewel MOORE, age 9
John MOORE, age 7
Joseph MOORE, age 3
all born in Cumberland

And here is some more for Sewell's parents:

1851 census for Wythop Township
HO107, Piece 2434, f. 30, p. 6, schedule 19
William MOORE, Head, married, age 54, Farm Labourer, born CUL, Clifton
Mary MOORE, wife, married, age 52, born CUL, Embleton
Mary MOORE, daughter, unmarried, age 26, Cook &c. out of place, born CUL, Lorton
Joseph MOORE, son, age 13, Scholar, born CUL, Wythop
Robert MOORE, grandson, age 6, Scholar, born CUL, Wythop
Thomas CROSTHWAITE, lodger, unmarried, Teacher of English, &c., born CUL, Thornthwaite

1861 census for Blindcrake Township
RG9, Piece 3936, f. 19, p. 7, schedule 26
Address: [blank]
William MOORE, Head, married, age 64, Shop Keeper, born CUL, Clifton
Mary MOORE, wife, age 62, born CUL, Embleton
Joseph MOORE, son, unmarried, age 22, Ag. Lab., born CUL, Wythop

1871 census for Township of Blindcrake, Isel and Redmain
RG10, Piece 5240, f. 17, p. 1, schedule 7
Address: Blindcrake Village, Private House
William MOOR, Head, widower, age 74, Laborer, born CUL, Clifton

Couldn't find William any more in 1881 so presumably had also died.

Roland Edgar

Apr 24, 2012, 1:48:12 PM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Petra,

Just goes to show we Cumbrians age well!!!!

Roland

Linda Chapman

Apr 24, 2012, 4:04:25 PM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
does your mum know your on here Roland, those under age should always ask permission first lol

Roland Edgar

Apr 24, 2012, 4:43:36 PM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
Naw, “snuk on” when she wasn’t looking,

Roland

Linda Chapman

Apr 24, 2012, 6:17:58 PM4/24/12
to genealogy-...@googlegroups.com
slapped wrists, you'll be grounded for a week now lol